No announcement yet.

Non recessed Floyds have higher action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non recessed Floyds have higher action?

All the guitars I've had with tremolos have been recessed, I want a guitar with a nonrecessed Floyd to stick a D-Tuna on but I'm curious about the action. Will I be able to get action as low with a nonrecessed as with my recessed tremolos?
    I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

yep. The neck is angled back more on a guitar with a non-recessed trem, so while the strings will sit further away from the face of the guitar, it is possible to get your action just as low, recessed or non-
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yes, it's all about the neck angle. Non recessed will have a 'greater' neck angle to allow the strings to pass evenly across the neck and along to the saddles on the bridge.

Don't forget that you need a non recessed, and non-floating bridge for a D-tuna. If it floats, you'll need to block the 'upward' movement of the bridge....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        Don't forget that you need a non recessed, and non-floating bridge for a D-tuna. If it floats, you'll need to block the 'upward' movement of the bridge....
        You can also bring the Floyd down to rest on the body, but you'll need to shim the saddles up so your action won't be so low that you fret out. I did that on my Charvel Star, as I don't feel the need to be able to pull up on the bar. And I just use my fine tuner if I want to do the Drop D thing.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X