New to the board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the board.

Hi there you guys. I'm new to the board and am interested in Charvel Guitars. I was born in the 80's which means I was born during the greatest era of guitars but never got to live it. So I missed out on the 80's Jacksons, Charvels, Kramers, J Frogs, BC Riches and Steinbergers. I want to know about a few Charvels. I see some Charvels with what looks like EMG Pickups installed in them but have Jackson stamped on them. Are these Jackson pickups active like the EMG 81's and such or are they just passive with covers made to look like EMG's. And if they are active, where is the 9v battery clip located? This is my question because I have found many Charvels for sale and it would be cool to get one with active electronics already installed so I don't have to do the EMG modification.(Although EMG's rock.)Thanks guys.

Re: New to the board.

Welcome to the board, this is indeed a power-house on the web for guitar man... you would be surprised how much people know around here.

I just sent you an e-mail about the charvel 650XL with EMGs that I am selling. Just let me know if you are interested...

Comment

the pickups of which you speak are not active pickups, but Jackson's own house-wound passive pickup. In Models 4, 5 & 6 they are part of an active circuit, coupled to one of Jackson's 3 different active preamps. The battery sits in the control cavity, there's plenty of room there.

Because they are passive, they will still work even without the active circuitry. So if you are looking at buying a guitar you might want to ask the seller if the preamp is still in the control cavity. Often times, the pickups are still in the guitar but all the groovy active bits have been removed, as was the case with my Model 4 when I picked her up.

Fortunately for me, Doc Dryer came to the rescue and sourced a replacement preamp for me (and threw in a few extras to boot!) [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      Hail yesterday

Comment

"I was born in the 80's which means I was born during the greatest era of guitars but never got to live it. So I missed out on the 80's Jacksons, Charvels, Kramers, J Frogs, BC Riches and Steinbergers" Amen [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, I just lost my FNG status!

Welcome to the board, brutha. You'll find this to be the most informative guitar site on the web.

Comment

Welcome to the board brother!! BTW MOPARS RULE !. My favorite is what i think ias a 69 charger with the headlights that hide behind the grill with the 426 cubic inch hemi In black

Comment

Welcome! Chargers, Challengers and Superbees RULE!
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X