No announcement yet.

SL3/DK2 why two pups the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned above, the same pickup will give you a completely different sound depending on its placement. I have two identical Kent Armstrongs in a Rhoads, the bridge one sounds twangy with lots of mids, and the neck one sounds more mellow and "round". Also, pickups far away from the bridge will have a higher output because of the wider string vibration at that point, so they're usually lower ie. further away from the strings.
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

My 2003 DK2 has stacked singles DD and they do sound really good IMO.
      The vol drop is why they don't use a true single coil pickup in that config.
      A single coil pickup when used with a 500k vol pot gets very brittle and twangy and tends to feedback and squeal.
      Now if you have a very dense wood like mahogony a 500k pot and a single coill pickup like a P90 you get great tone and lots of bite.
      I have done extensive R&D with different value pots and capacitors and how pickups react to them so I'm not an asshat.
      Last edited by straycat; 12-01-2007, 04:08 AM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
      X