An Honest Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Honest Question

Alright, i've been on this board long enough to see and know that ESP sucks. There's no doubt whatsoever in anyone's mind that Jackson completely blows them away even at the most unbiased of times. But.......why?

I get the whole rival thing, but seriously, what makes Jackson guitars so superior to "ESPee" guitars? I tried one of those sharp explorer models (?) and actually really liked it. I know Kris Norris (Darkest Hour, Locus Factor .... CHECK THIS GUY OUT!!!) plays them, and i'd have to say he's brilliant. So what's the deal?

Paul
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

I like the older ESP guitars a lot but the new stuff is quite ho-hum and way over priced.There is a world of difference between an early M-1 and what they make now.
    Their neck thru guitars are OK not better than Jackson just different.I prefer Jacksons the USA ones anyway.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Jackson endorsees switching over to ESP/LTD is what makes everyone rag on the ESP guitars.
      I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

My experience with ESP has been good, but they've rarely been 'keeper' guitars for whatever reason.

I think the endorsee switching thing is a big part of the resentment, but it's also that ESP are very succesfully using Jackson designs (and yes, I know Jackson designs are derivations of other company's designs, but at least they are the first derivation!)....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

There's a huge difference between "deriviation" and "copy".

Jackson does not have a Strat, Les Paul, Explorer, Flying V, Firebird (anymore), SG, Jaguar, Telecaster, or 335. While they made many Custom Shop derivatives (neckthrough vs set-neck or bolt-on, better tops, etc), they never really had an exact "copy" of anyone's design as a production model (yes, that includes the Firebird Pro which were bolt-on, not neckthrough, as well as the Y2KV which was neckthrough, not set-neck).

ESPee's first models were Soloist copies right down to the headstock. Throw in the Explorer copies and everything else that follows their tradition of "let's steal someone else's idea since they're making a fortune".

They have nothing original aside from those injection-molded plastic Batgirl models.

Ergo, they suck.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm a J/C guy through & through, but at this point in time I cannot make a blanket statement that Jackson makes a better product or is a better value than ESP. Sorry, wish I could. I totally agree with what Ian says about the resentment factor, though, and nothing else feels like a J/C neck (except maybe a GMW ), but that's a preference thing and I'm sure ESP fans prefer their necks. J/C's history and track record of innovation kills ESP's, but that's exactly what it is: history. That & a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Resting on laurels & jacking prices (especially in the face of QC questions) doesn't exactly make for a good strategy against ESP, imo.
            Last edited by dg; 12-01-2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              There's a huge difference between "deriviation" and "copy".
              I'll say! "Copy" is a real word
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I have no problem with ESP I have a MX-II and love it, it plays better than any Gibson Explorer I have played, except the '83 explorer I had.

Comment

Stop splitting hairs, man. All the big companies copied Fender and Gibson to some extent and that goes for our beloved Jackson as well. To sit here and say Jackson made neck through and not set neck is childish. A copy is a copy. End of story.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Jackson makes great guitars and ESP does too... its all preference , I love jacksons but the next guy might love ESP, they do have us beat on endorsments though.

Comment

I hate to say it, but if FMIC keeps slapping Jackson customers across the face with Masterbuilt pricing, the ESP custom shop is going to start looking better and better.

Comment

Paying nearly 2000.00 for a japanese made ESP is not my idea of fun.Most of the esps I have played have been Ok at best with the exception of the anniversery lych bomber I just played its not that I hate them I just dont really think that the value for the price is there at times.But once again I go back to the last few lines of your post.so and so from this band plays them so they must be good and that s ok.I am all for buying something because a guitar hero of mine played it but not if its a hunk of shit that doesnt suit my needs.alot of people dont understand that some of the esps that these big bands play are built for them by the custom shop and are not standard models off the rack. nearly everything hetfield and hammett play is made in the usa custom shop or same as COB and so on.I have yet to see esp really break out with something original they mostly make copies with refinments to me.I much more respect ibanez for the advancments they have made in tremelos and designs.
                        Last edited by BODOM; 12-02-2007, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I really like my J/C guitars there is no doubt about it. I have also played some nice ESP guitars. I have an LTD EC-400 with the EMGs. I am thinking about trading it in for a EC-400vf with the Seymour Duncan pickups. I have also played the Gus G LTD. The Gus G has a real Floyd and Duncans. LTD prices are not bad and offer things I can not get from J/C. The quality of the ones I have played has always been good. I love my Charvel Standard Star but a Gus G for $800, set neck and binding, why not? I wish the Gus G had more color options. I hate red.
                          I don't have a problem with ESP or any other brand of guitars as long as they offer me something I want/need and enjoy playing it. I am a bit of a guitar snob but if it feels good in my hands and sounds good where is the problem?
                          Just one more guitar!

Comment

Jackson and Charvel guitars are the best that I have ever played, Superfast necks well balanced etc.... I do own two older ESP's though. Both of them are Lynch's and I like them as well, I played a friends KH-2 and I thought that it was a great playing guitar, but it's not a US made instrument, but that is the only drawback to them, which IMO isn't much of an issue! They play well, but if I had a choice I'd buy a Charvie first
                            Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

ESP makes a mean bolt-on. Their neckplate is angled in all the right ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X