No announcement yet.

An Honest Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've compared the ESP standard series and the Jackson Japanese Import series. side by side. The jackson won hands down. And the Jackson needed a setup. The ESP was dialed in and played realy nice. But the JAckson had more tone and feel And the finish seemed thinner and better. Thinner finish translates to mor wood resonation. Resulting in fuller tone.
    I stand behind my statement. That ESP does not make an equally quality guitar at the same price point and options As Jackson does. If I had to i would by a Schecter over an ESP in a heartbeat. But then thats just me.
    Gil

Comment

don't ESP use screen prints & transfers instead of "stupid airbrush finishes"?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
        Sorry, ESP Standards are a thousand less, with far more variety as far as bridges, woods, and shapes go. No stupid airbrush finishes, either, which reflects better on that brand as a whole. And the DK2 IS a cheap horrible guitar. Everyone I know who got one ditched it - and since there is no real mid-priced Jackson, they got ESPs instead.
        DXMG?
        DKMG?
        DKMGT?
        DK2M?
        RR3?
        KE3?
        ??????
        DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

the reason i mentioned kris norris isn't because i'm a fanboy, i just think he's a respectable guitarist and knows how to choose gear. i'm not saying i'm going to base choices off of what he chooses, i'm just curious as to what makes him choose them.

He probably plays them because they either pay him or they give him free guitars.

Comment

I can say for myself, that I think that there are a couple of really nice ESPs around, but everytime I pick on up, I fast get back to my Jackson, since those Jackson necks just feel way better. For me it is mostly just the playability that makes Jackson way supirior.
            "Don't mess with the Pudel of Death!"

Comment

One thing i've noticed is that ESP's range is a lot more varied than jacksons they tend to have better specs under 1k too...

I mean what are people going to choose a 1k guitar with locking tuners duncans emgs and tonepros that gets played by artists, or a guitar with a jackson bridge jackson tuners duncans or emgs that is similar to a guitar artists play????

I've noticed ESP necks thnd to be thicker than jacksons.

Whats the cheapes usa select jackson? cause the M-II can be had for 1200 with case or less....

I remember reading a thread about this guy getting a custom SV which had pearl bevels, he got it and the finish had gaps anyways they got it sent back to the ESP shop and it was then refinished and was perfect no gaps or marks or anything, I dont think that would have been taken care of so well if it was a custom RR.....

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                One thing i've noticed is that ESP's range is a lot more varied than jacksons they tend to have better specs under 1k too...

I mean what are people going to choose a 1k guitar with locking tuners duncans emgs and tonepros that gets played by artists, or a guitar with a jackson bridge jackson tuners duncans or emgs that is similar to a guitar artists play????

I've noticed ESP necks thnd to be thicker than jacksons.

Whats the cheapes usa select jackson? cause the M-II can be had for 1200 with case or less....

I remember reading a thread about this guy getting a custom SV which had pearl bevels, he got it and the finish had gaps anyways they got it sent back to the ESP shop and it was then refinished and was perfect no gaps or marks or anything, I dont think that would have been taken care of so well if it was a custom RR.....
                i totally agree with you on this one. i think the FMIC kinda fucked up a little.
                DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
                  DXMG?
                  DKMG?
                  DKMGT?
                  DK2M?
                  RR3?
                  KE3?
                  ??????
                  mid priced meaning between the SL3 and SL2 or SLSMG and SL2HT

There is no "entry level" USA Jackson to compete with the ESP Standard Series. And whoever said the Japanese Jacksons smoke an ESP standard... uhhh no, I love my SLSMG as much as the next guy, but as soon as I pick up one of those maple boarded M-2s, it is fairly obvious which one is the better guitar (hint: its not the Jackson). If they made an all mahogany w/ebony board ESP M-2, that would be my main player.

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
                    Jackson fans hate ESP because everyone jumps ship from Jackson to ESP.
                    Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Not all. Scott Ian went from ESP to Jackson... then he went from Jackson to Washburn.
                    Originally posted by Szostak View Post
                    toejam, did you have to mention that last part? lol
                    Yes, because it's true... and it's funny. :ROTF: Frank Bello also was endorsed by ESP at the same time Scott was, then he went to Fender.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

mid priced meaning between the SL3 and SL2 or SLSMG and SL2HT

There is no "entry level" USA Jackson to compete with the ESP Standard Series. And whoever said the Japanese Jacksons smoke an ESP standard... uhhh no, I love my SLSMG as much as the next guy, but as soon as I pick up one of those maple boarded M-2s, it is fairly obvious which one is the better guitar (hint: its not the Jackson). If they made an all mahogany w/ebony board ESP M-2, that would be my main player.

Does ESPee have an "entry level" USA? Didn't think so, so what's the point of that statement, other than Jackson not having a USA model for $600?
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        There's a huge difference between "deriviation" and "copy".

Jackson does not have a Strat, Les Paul, Explorer, Flying V, Firebird (anymore), SG, Jaguar, Telecaster, or 335. While they made many Custom Shop derivatives (neckthrough vs set-neck or bolt-on, better tops, etc), they never really had an exact "copy" of anyone's design as a production model (yes, that includes the Firebird Pro which were bolt-on, not neckthrough, as well as the Y2KV which was neckthrough, not set-neck).

ESPee's first models were Soloist copies right down to the headstock. Throw in the Explorer copies and everything else that follows their tradition of "let's steal someone else's idea since they're making a fortune".

They have nothing original aside from those injection-molded plastic Batgirl models.

Ergo, they suck.

Ummm...you realize the company got started ripping off Strats right?
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                          Stop splitting hairs, man. All the big companies copied Fender and Gibson to some extent and that goes for our beloved Jackson as well. To sit here and say Jackson made neck through and not set neck is childish. A copy is a copy. End of story.
                          Well said.

ESP makes some outstanding guitars. Every bit as good as Jacksons.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                            I've compared the ESP standard series and the Jackson Japanese Import series. side by side. The jackson won hands down. And the Jackson needed a setup. The ESP was dialed in and played realy nice. But the JAckson had more tone and feel And the finish seemed thinner and better. Thinner finish translates to mor wood resonation. Resulting in fuller tone.
                            I stand behind my statement. That ESP does not make an equally quality guitar at the same price point and options As Jackson does. If I had to i would by a Schecter over an ESP in a heartbeat. But then thats just me.
                            Gil
                            You must really think all those old San Dimas Jacksons and Charvels *really* suck then. The finishes on a lot of those guitars are so fucking thick it's unreal.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Does ESPee have an "entry level" USA? Didn't think so, so what's the point of that statement, other than Jackson not having a USA model for $600?
                              ESP doesn't have any entry level USA models because they don't make fucking American guitars. Also, their standard series is around $1150-1400 dumbass, and being equivalent in quality to the SL2s and that, are the much better deal. Did you actually pull that $600 from your ass? Where did that come from?

The more and more I see from Jackson the less and less it seems they are willing to actually compete with other instrument makers (especially those from Japan) to see who can make the better guitar for the money. So they just increase the price, without reducing the amount of mistakes the custom shop makes, without tightening up quality control, or introducing any new noteworthy models. What is more disturbing is that it seems most of the people on this forum are OK with that.

Comment

ESP doesn't have any entry level USA models because they don't make fucking American guitars. Also, their standard series is around $1150-1400 dumbass, and being equivalent in quality to the SL2s and that, are the much better deal. Did you actually pull that $600 from your ass? Where did that come from?
                                Dude, what's up with you flaming people lately? You called Xenophobe an idiot in the 8-string thread, now you're calling Newc a dumbass? You're walking on thin ice... watch it.
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X