• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Mr. Crowley!!!

Dunno if this is the right place to post this... but

Stay fuckin metal... alex
    Stay fuckin metal.... for life!!! ALEX

www.myspace.com/alekshitz

Randy Rhoads really is loved. I can't say I know why. No offence, I don't mean I don't like his playing - I just haven't heard much of it, even though I own an RR3.
    I need to give his stuff a listen.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yes... you do.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
        Randy Rhoads really is loved. I can't say I know why. No offence, I don't mean I don't like his playing - I just haven't heard much of it, even though I own an RR3.
        ****** If you die...your stock goes way up too! If Dave Mustane were
        to keel over...all of the sudden Megadeth would be 3 times as big.
        Just the way things are.. IMO no one cared about Jim Croce that much,
        but when he was gone...his post mortem career took off! Look at
        Kevin Dubrow? Its a "dead" thing. How old would Randy be now? 48?

Comment

He was born in '56 so that would have made him 51 years old today.
          -Rick

Comment

Jim Croce had gotten huge right before he died. The irony in his death was that he was going back to make up a canceled college show from the previous year that he had to cancel due to illness...and he was doing it free of charge. He was headlining major venues at the time.

I don't think Kevin Dubrow will go down in history as legendary just because he died. He made his mark but has been irrelevant for years. I highly doubt that his legacy will be affected. Mustaine wouldn't be remembered as a better guitarist than he truly is if he dropped over today because he's nothing more than a solid player in a solid band.

Rhoads, on the other hand, had attained super-stardom among the guitar community prior to his death (much like SRV). He released a small but hugely relevant and innovative volume of work for his time. The man was special before he died, not because he died. His death certainly enhanced his legend, but he was legendary nonetheless.

Comment

How come guitarists in general don't remember Steve Clark with such fondness? Is it always about the flash and speed? Is a solo like the one in "Armageddon It" always overshadowed by the faster, more technical stuff?

BTW Some dead guys deserve the hype - Dimebag was an incredible soloist. No doubts about that from me. I love his lead work.
              Last edited by MartinBarre; 12-06-2007, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Steve was great at writing hooks and catchy riffs. But even he said he wasn't a great guitar player. Solid yes... great... no.
                And for the record, I dig the solo in "Armageddon It". Easy, but still uniquely Steve.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  Steve was great at writing hooks and catchy riffs. But even he said he wasn't a great guitar player. Solid yes... great... no.
                  And for the record, I dig the solo in "Armageddon It". Easy, but still uniquely Steve.
                  Oh I know he wasnt a great player TECHNICALLY. But that doesnt mean he wasnt a great guitar player. Angus Young is even less technically gifted than Steve Clark but no one would argue over Angus' classic status.
                  I sometimes think people forget the melody guys like Page, Young and Clark brought to the table. I'd rather listen to any of them solo than Vai or Petrucci.

Sorry for hijacking this thread BTW.

Comment

"Randy Rhoads really is loved. I can't say I know why. No offence, I don't mean I don't like his playing - I just haven't heard much of it, even though I own an RR3.
                    I need to give his stuff a listen."

I find it funny that you are playing a guitar he desiged and surfing a board that if not for randy and other artists who played jackson might not exsist.randy is so well loved because to alot of he is our guitar hero taken away from us in the prime of his life and a major influence on metal as we hear it today.If you want to know why he is loved so much throw a copy of blizzard or diary or tribute and listen to how great he was as a player.I guess if you had been alive when he was around you would understand better how great randy was.
                    Last edited by BODOM; 12-06-2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                      Holy sheet is that an understatement.

Listen to You Can't Kill Rock n Roll or Diary of a Madman for some incredible arrangements.

Mr. Crowley for two kick ass solos in one song.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

I am blasting Tribute right now. It's bliss. The first tab book I ever bought was for that record. Dee was the first complex classical style song I learned to play. I saved up for a USA Jackson in High School because of Randy. What a nice, open, humble musician.
                        Happy Birthday Randy!

Edited for respect to the OP and, most of all, to Randy.
                        Last edited by åron; 12-07-2007, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Geez... i never started this thread with the purpose of havin a general discussion about "whos the best" and "Why"... I just wanted to remember his B-day...nothin more... but nothin less...

Vai, Petrucci, Lynch, Dimebag, Clark, Satriani, Collen, Campbell,Tipton, Downing, Malmsteen, Batio, Romero, Page, Young, Beach, Aldrich, Gilbert, Gus G, Schenker, Jabs, Roth, Boulliet, aso
                          ... all of em awesome and very unique guitarists... dead or alive... does that really matter for the music they released (or still do)... does that really matter for US who are suckin in every single note or tone of those guys...

NO... the only bad thing is that we wont get to hear new stuff of the dead ones....

RANDY... YOU KICKED, YOU STILL KICK AND YOU WILL KICK MAJOR ASS!!!

Stay fuckin metal...
                          Stay fuckin metal.... for life!!! ALEX

www.myspace.com/alekshitz

Comment

If Dave Mustane were to keel over...all of the sudden Megadeth would be 3 times as big.
                            +1 on that... not that he fukkin rocks, he does.... but its just sad that so many kickass musicians go completely unnoticed.....until they're dead. Randy is a fine example of what i mean. ;( why did you have to get on that plane :_(

He'd be drinkin a cold one with us, discussing about how hot ol. times were with Ozzy, you know what i mean......

RIP one of metal's favorite sons

rises b33r in honor of him & Dee + sheds a tear .....

/* edit */ TOO MANY 's .... yeah, jcf told me i had too many "" 's about Ran's tragic death. Can you believe that??!?!?!?
                            Last edited by delt; 12-06-2007, 11:39 PM.
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Geez... i never started this thread with the purpose of havin a general discussion about "whos the best" and "Why"... I just wanted to remember his B-day
                              Yeah, so much for an old roman/pagan custom (birthdays).... "hey, on this day the earth was in the same position relative to the sun when you were born according to the almanac of..." wtf.. not to piss in the wind (HBD is a tradition) but..... you know....

"It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X