Same amp/pickups, different tone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same amp/pickups, different tone???

Hey guys, I wandered into the local Guitar Center today. They had a white Jackson DK2M. It looked in good condition, so I grabbed it and plugged it into a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt combo. I have the same exact amp at home (as many of you heard in my youtube video).

I have Seymour Duncan JBs in my guitars at home and it is my understanding that they put the same pickup in the DK2M. So I plug in and turn on the amp, put it on the same exact preset that I use at home. Right away I notice the tone is different. It's not as sharp and definitely sounds worse than what I get at home.

What's the cause? My main guitar is the custom build one pictured here, so I'm guessing that the wiring/potts may have something to do with it. But I also have a MIJ Charvel and a MIJ Jackson with JBs and they also sound better than the DK2M I played today. Is there variation in pickup output even though it's the same model? What about the amp? Could one sound different than another exact model? I'm guessing unlikely in this case. So it's the wiring and or electronics, the wood, or what?

Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

There are so many variables, it's likely EVERYTHING you listed as a possible reason and a few more you didn't consider.

A 75 watt combo sounds pretty good in a medium sized room where the sound can develop and reverberate - not so good in a vast showroom with acoustic tiles and a lot of background noise. That floor model probably sees more action and has a more broken in speaker.

Looking at your custom, however, I don't find it all that surprising that it out performs the Dinky. Upgrade the internal components, and maybe the divide is narrowed. It's likely that even new pups, wiring and components won't make the guitars sound the same.

Comment

I've played my own stuff at other people's houses and found I've got different tone, it probably has to do with the acoustics of the room and the power/wiring in the building. It may sound strange but wiring and things being run in a building does affect your tone. For example if you have any dimmer switches being used it dirtys up the AC and that can give you hum and differenct sounding tone

Comment

it could also have something to do with the bridge- the bridge on the DK2M is real thin sounding
        My Guitars
        Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
        Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
        Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
        Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
        Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
        Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
        Kramer Vanguard S-440S
        Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
        Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
        Kramer F-1000 (Black)
        Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

How does a bridge sound thin?
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm with aron & FastJunkie. Don't be too quick to rule out the acoustics of the room you were playing in. A GC showroom is way different than playing at home. The only way to know for sure would be to play the different guitars in the same room with the same amp & settings, imo.

Comment

All good points guys. I hadn't thought about room acoustics.
              Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
              www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  How does a bridge sound thin?

I'd like to know the definitive answer to that one too!
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                    I'd like to know the definitive answer to that one too!
                    It depends on the metals. If its Brass its going to be fuller. If its steel more thin and tin-ny etc etc
                    My Guitars
                    Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
                    Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
                    Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
                    Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
                    Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
                    Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
                    Kramer Vanguard S-440S
                    Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
                    Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
                    Kramer F-1000 (Black)
                    Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

Originally posted by Shwayman11 View Post
                      It depends on the metals. If its Brass its going to be fuller. If its steel more thin and tin-ny etc etc

So, the body wood, neck wood, and pickups really have little to do with it huh.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

My JT-580 kicks ass fat as hell I guess its not the mahogony body. Mark what do you think?

Comment

tone is subject to so many factors. from the way to you touch it to the hight and type of the pickups, type of cables. and every component in between.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I read that George Lynch hate to shut is amp of because it will sound different the next time!!! =)

Luu

Comment

It could be also for the new unplayed speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X