Question about Jackson USA neck contours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Jackson USA neck contours

I own a DKMGT with Dimarzio's and while the guitar is a really nice guitar. The fit and finish are awesome, and the sound is great, I can't get past the relatively thin neck. I primarily play a Les Paul with the thick 50's style neck and that fits my hands much better.

Does Jackson do different neck contours? Can I buy a standard USA with a thick neck? Should I sell my Jackson and just play Les Pauls?

Thanks
    Ryan

The newer choices would be a Phil Collen PC1 or Mark Morton Model (japanese made only) as far as production models. Of course, the custom shop will be glad to make whatever you want .

If you like necks thick and you like the fit and finish of a Jackson you could do what I did. Keep an eye out for a Swee Tone. They're discontinued and fairly rare.

Here's a rough comparison between the Bent Top Swee Tone and a '90 LP Standard. ('scuse the quick and dirty pics, please.) The profile is very similar with slighly less taper at the nut on the Jackson.

For me, this is a dream guitar. Other people don't like it.
    Last edited by åron; 12-09-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I own a DKMGT as well and can relate to your experience, it has the thinnest neck of all my Jacksons.

A USA Soloist should definitely have some more meat to it (while a KV2 has the "speed neck" with a thinner profile). Not Les Paul thickness though.

One of the thickest Jackson necks I have ever played however is on the COW DK6 I own, really fat and round with a nice profile. I also tried a PC1 once, fat neck also but I somehow didn't like the profile as much.

I have no experience with the Mark Morton model or the Swee Tones so I can't comment on those.
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

The top on that is sweet, aron.
        Nice looking piece.

Comment

Thanks! She roars like a tiger too!

Comment

That's a really sweet guitar man! I'll have to check out the Morton model. I'm not really that wild about the shape though. A PC1 would be great, but they cost so much I might have to curtail my amp buying...

Comment

Originally posted by madryan View Post
              That's a really sweet guitar man! I'll have to check out the Morton model. I'm not really that wild about the shape though. A PC1 would be great, but they cost so much I might have to curtail my amp buying...
              Do it! Phil Collen was a Les Paul player. He wanted a Super Strat with a Floyd that felt like his beloved Les Paul's, hence the creation of the PC1, with the meat of a '59 profile neck and the tone of a Mah body with a maple top.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                Do it! Phil Collen was a Les Paul player. He wanted a Super Strat with a Floyd that felt like his beloved Les Paul's, hence the creation of the PC1, with the meat of a '59 profile neck and the tone of a Mah body with a maple top.
                What can I expect to pay for one? I don't mind used if it's nice enough.

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
                  If you like necks thick and you like the fit and finish of a Jackson you could do what I did. Keep an eye out for a Swee Tone. They're discontinued and fairly rare.
                  The Swee-Tones were offered with two different neck profiles; standard and slim. The standard is .910 @ 3rd fret, .950 @ 12th. The slim is .790 @ 3rd and .830 @ 12th.

I own a Morton and love it! According to Jackson's site, its neck dimensions are the same as the standard Swee-Tone... 3rd Fret: .910”, 12th Fret: .950”
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by madryan View Post
                    What can I expect to pay for one? I don't mind used if it's nice enough.
                    From my experience having owed and currently own several, a used one in Mint condition ranges from $1500 on up at current market prices. They are well worth it IMHO.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Absolutely we offer that. You see the import line all have a radius of 12 and 14 while the USA models all have a 12 and 16. you can get your neck to any thickness you desire from the custom shop. Have you tried the neck on the SL2H?

Comment

Originally posted by Cannella View Post
                        You see the import line all have a radius of 12 and 14 while the USA models all have a 12 and 16. you can get your neck to any thickness you desire from the custom shop.
                        Well, the 12"- 14" radius and 12"- 16" radius is the flatness/roundness of the fingerboard, not the backshape radius of the neck.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X