RR Shortwing Custom Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FastJunkie View Post
    Can someone fill me in on why the won't produce some of this stuff?
    Because Jackson has had a long standing agreement with Delores Rhoads that they would keep Randy's original design somewhat limited.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

"Hey btx109 you have anymore of those pics of Randys guitar? and thanks for posting so all can see the diff of the two RR's..."

A few more...and you're welcome. These were taken by me at an exhibit in honor of Randy at Cal State University Northridge in '05, I believe.

Comment

Closest replicas ever produced of Randy's guitar, of course, were the fabled set of shortwings made by Mike Shannon...what was it, five or seven of them? I know one prominent builder who owned one and was willing to sell it but for no less than five thousand. Don't know if he still owns it.

Comment

y'know, i think the 25th anniversary comes as close, if not closer than mike's run. i talked to john walker a few years back and he had shared that they were able to take measurements and pictures of randy's original v for what i believe was the 25th anniversary run. that had to have been cool as hell.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Is that black tape running along the top part of the long wing from the toggle switch down on the above photo? What's the story behind that?
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

yes, yes it is. could be a protection from the studded wristbands or something.
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I was unaware that the 25th Anniversary series was as close to Randy's original as the Shannon run, Sully. Looks like the headstock differs, but the rest looks a lot better than the LTDs.

Do you, or anyone else, know how that Shannon run of seven come about? What's the story behind it? Did you have to be hooked up with Mike to get one? Was it publicized or strictly kept behind-the-scenes?

Comment

brad kelly helped out rob lane, who got in touch with mike to have a run of correct LTDs made. from what i've gathered, it was done behind the scenes and not an official jackson thing, although they all have prototype serial numbers. i think they just got 6-7 people that wanted one and mike built them. and if you see one for about 5-6k, they're value is certainly holding.

i'll have to dig up my prototype pix along with the 25th pix and compare this evening.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

hey sully how's your concorde coming along, did you ever get it fixed?
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Really nice guitar!
                      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Just for refernce purpose, mine from 2005. A one-off.

Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                          hey sully how's your concorde coming along, did you ever get it fixed?
                          finally took it in last friday. thanks for asking.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

okay, here's the comparison pix i have of the mike prototypes and the 25th. in looking ONLY at the body shape right now, i would say that mike's is closer to the real deal. look at the bottom line of the v, or the line of the wing spread, if you will. you'll see that mike's is more of a softer cut than the 25th/ltd body style.

this is one of mike's prototypes:

and the 25th:

and the original:

Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

rats. sorry to see this thread die. then again, threadkillin' is in my blood.

sully
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You killjoy Sully.

I like Randy's control knob layout and switch location better than the standard RR models. I am seriously considering relocating the controls in my RR3 when I do the paint this spring. I have learned to avoid the knobs when jamming, but it is still a pain in the ass when I randomly hit them. If I do move them, I will get a new mounting plate made. No hole plugs for me.

Great pics Sully!

Comment

Working...
                                X