Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickups vs EQ pedal

Hi

First post after lurking for a while so I better start by saying hello...!

I recently bought a used KVX10 string-thru used for £150 UK (including a gig bag), and although it plays well, those stock Duncan Designed p-ups sound a bit muddy to me (especially when I play it just after my active DKMG!) so I have been thinking of fitting something like a Duncan Distortion or JB4 at the bridge.

But I've never done a pickup swap before so I am a bit leery of the whole process so I started looking for alternatives and found I can clean the sound up considerably using an MXR 10-band EQ pedal. Would you advise this as an alternative or is it still better to change the pickup(s)? Am I short changing myself in any way by using an EQ pedal instead?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Duncan
    Crank it, spank it, smack it on the bing-bong

I like having an EQ pedal because you can use it for any guitar that you have...you never know what circumstance will arise that it will prove useful.

The pickup swap isn't a big deal but I like to have a high end pickup in a guitar because aside from the strings, it is the first thing in your 'tone equation'. Start with quality and you have a simpler equation to end up with quality.

An EQ pedal is a nice thing to have in the 'tickle trunk' though.
    My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

I say both. But if you can only choose one go with new pups. I always find stock pick-ups just never feel right so it should clear up your tone a bit.

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice, I bought the pedal anyway and I'm glad I did. Now I just have to steel my nerves for the job of changing pickups I suppose. I really hope I don't mess it up!

Duncan
        Crank it, spank it, smack it on the bing-bong

Comment

Working...
        X