Charvel Avenger opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Avenger opinions

What do you guys think about the Avenger? I've only seen a couple on Ebay, how rare are they? I'm interested because my favorite pickup setup is H/S. I wouldn't mind picking up one on the cheap eventually.
    I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Ive got a couple and I love them. GREAT players, but the stock puckups BLOW. The stock bridge is a Schaller speed loader... you can put Floyd or Schaller locking saddles on there and you then have a JT590/Schaller!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
      The stock bridge is a Schaller speed loader...
      Errr...you did mean "single locking piece o' shit trem" right? Calling it a "Schaller Speedloader" is being beyond generous.

Comment

Actually, they arent bad trems... no more unstable than a Kahler if done right. The thing with ANY single locking trem is to solder the ball ends. Regardless though, throw some locking saddles on it and you now have an awesome trem!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Is it the same baseplate and block as a JT-590 though, and not like the difference between the OFR on Kramer Focuses and the crappier (cheaper metal) Floyd Rose non-locking trem on the Kramer Strikers?

Comment

Same base and block as the 590.

Comment

Any pictures?
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Of the bridge or an Avenger?

Comment

Avenger rhoads body is great for project guitars. (but you have to modify it a LOT) hmm, next, ....
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I've read that people didn't like the bridge pickup (or pickups I guess you could say) because they were just two single coils side by side instead of an actual humbucker. Is that for real?
                    I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just saw one yesterday at a local Guitar Center. Priced a little too high I think. It was going for $299. Not bad condition but it does need work. I'll have to wait it out, maybe they will see that it is not selling and drop the price a bit. That or I have to haggle it down! I once saw a Charvel 375 there for a few months listed for $299 and then it went down to $139! That's when I bought it.

BTW it was not the type with the 2 singles in the bridge position. It had the blade humbucker angled in a pickup ring.
                      Guitars:
                      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                      1988 Model 2,
                      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                      RR3
                      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
                        I've read that people didn't like the bridge pickup (or pickups I guess you could say) because they were just two single coils side by side instead of an actual humbucker. Is that for real?
                        Yep. Here's the catalog scan:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....678&fullsize=1

It's not too hard to mod it & put a humbucker in it. That's what somebody did to the one jrnc saw at GC.

Comment

A lot of people seem to replace the dual single coils with a humbucker. It is not hard to do, but you have to take the pickup ring off and take a look at the job they did. If it is someone with half a brain there will be a nice clean job for the routing. If you get some schmuck who just went hacking away it can be pretty bad.

Comment

The later Avengers actually came stock with that blade humbucker pickup. That and a shitty JT580LP style rout as opposed to the Schaller.

Comment

ROBRR is correct I have a later Avenger with the angled J-85 rails in the bridge and the angled baseplate JT580 trem. I found a scalloped Blue Spectrum neck that is waiting to be installed on it. Too many projects lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X