No announcement yet.

I broke my San Dimas :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$600 seems low to me for a 'dimas soloist in good shape, even a student (if they sold for that low I'd probably have one by now.) I think $800 sounds more about right.

Comment

If you look in ebay completed items, you'll see two san dimas soloists that sold for $1125 (purple) and $1499 (alpine white) recently. Both had Kahlers. Both also had sharkies & ebony board. Even though yours has a different fretboard, maybe you can try using that as a value for your claim.

Comment

Trouve un magasin de musique avec des vendeurs que tu connais bien, et demande leur de te faire une approximation bidon.
        Au pire, moi je t'en soulage pour rien ^^

Comment

What he said.:ROTF: The '80's Legend will have no bearing. To them it's a 20+ year old guitar. They WILL take that into consideration. Not only that, it's not a Fender or Gibson. Be prepared to get screwed.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yeah, be ready for about $600. You may do a bit better if you present is as a Jackson USA San Dimas Soloist and not Student, as thats what some of others are being sold as and it could hurt what you get. That said one just went on Ebay with upgraded pickups and an uncommon paint job for $950. Subtract maybe $50 for the pickup, $200 for the unique finish, and you're at about $700, and it was a nice one at that.

EDIT: If the headstock is broken, try to get them to at least pay for a new neck, as a new neck would probably be $300 if it was bought new or not (not being from an original San Dimas). It would be more worthwhile.
            Last edited by CharvelRocker; 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
              EDIT: If the headstock is broken, try to get them to at least pay for a new neck, as a new neck would probably be $300 if it was bought new or not (not being from an original San Dimas). It would be more worthwhile.
              Umm... and how is he supposed to replace the neck on a Soloist? Think about it for a sec.
              Forgot to take your meds again didn't ya.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Umm... and how is he supposed to replace the neck on a Soloist? Think about it for a sec.
                Forgot to take your meds again didn't ya.
                Didn't forget to take my meds, just forgot that a Soloist isn't a Dinky for a moment
                :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Insurance companies don't care if they were big in the 80s and sold for $2500 back then, they go by the current market value...
                  Yep, the insurance company will give you the replacement value for a
                  USED guitar! They consider its age and the fact that it isn't in new
                  condition...

The way I cover my guitars is with a special rider on my homeowner's
                  policy. And I had a friend in the vintage guitar business appraise
                  all my stuff and submitted it to the insurance company. Needless
                  to say, he high-balled the value of my stuff, but not to the point of
                  arousing suspicion...

Comment

What am I missing here- He's coming out ahead regardless. Do they force him to put the remains of the Soloist in a wood chipper after getting $$ for the insurance claim?

If not what, he gets a check, & he gets a guitar that after repair will probably still be a badass player. Teh_W1N, no?

Vass

Comment

Doesn't work that way... if the insurance company pays to replace the guitar, they take ownership of the damaged guitar.

If they pay to repair it, you get the repair covered and now have a devalued guitar.
                      In most cases, they will not cover loss of value. Especially if said value is too subjective.
                      -Rick

Comment

If you love the guitar, I would have them pay to get it repaired, rather than replaced. If the headstock split is relatively clean, it certainly can be done. It's not an investment, it's an instrument to make great music with.

Oh, and I think that $600 is too low for an SD Student Soloist. Four or five years ago, yes. But *Model 6's* with Kahlers are commanding at least $500 nowadays. I would guess this one is closer to $800, maybe $900 if it was in really good shape before the accident. And, of course, guitars sell for a lot more money in Europe, so U.S. prices might be irrelevant.
                        Last edited by pro-fusion; 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

+1

Also, all of these guitars sell for quite a bit more in Europe. I think you need to look for completed European auctions or get some kind of appraisal over there. The guys at Jani's site, Jacksonguitarpalace.com, may be able to help.

Comment

That sure looks like the "Kulick Soloist".

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              That sure looks like the "Kulick Soloist".
                              I think that's what the picture is. That's not the actual guitar in question, though. If it was a "Kulick Soloist," I'm sure it would be worth a fair amount of money.

Comment

ok thx for all,
                                I will keep you informed.

Comment

Working...
                                X