Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shall I or shall I not, that's the question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall I or shall I not, that's the question?

Hi all!
    This is my 1st post on this forum, but hopefully not my last... It bothers me a bit that I haven't found this before, cause I have been "in love" with Jackson guitars for quite some time.
    Well - the first thing I found was the Custom generator - marvellous!

Now I sat down and thougt I should visualize an idea that I've hade for some time.
    See-I got this mid '80, custom Jackson Firebird. It's plain black, and has got some dings and scratches throughout the years. I have thought for a long time that I should have it repainted but I dont know how.
    Alt.1 Black (like original)
    Alt.2 Like in the picture. I got this idea a long time ago.. (I love Photoshop)
    Alt.3 Ideas???

And finally - do you think it's sacrilege to give it a "new" look?

Thx,
    /Swede
    S.W.E.D.E.

I'm diggin the Black and Yellow Checker finish. Just be sure to get a pro refinish job. Welcome.

Marc

Comment

Firebird = discontinued body style. Keep it original, I'd say.

Comment

Maybe post some pictures of how it looks now?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Firebird = discontinued body style. Keep it original, I'd say.
          That's why I can't decide what to do! It feels kinda nasty to lay a new paint on it, but black is black, and quite simple to "repaint"

Yes - if I go throug with it I will have a pro do the job! I intend to write to Jackson to see if they have history on which type of paint and coating they used in those days...

/Swede
          S.W.E.D.E.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Maybe post some pictures of how it looks now?
            I will contribute with pictures to the gallery soon, I just have a few lousy pictures right now, but here it is...

/Swede

S.W.E.D.E.

Comment

I'd leave it alone if you are at all concerned about maintaining the value of the guitar. Even if you go back to black, it's still a refin.

Comment

jackson firebirds are pretty hard to come by; if you decide that you must have it repainted, it's going to impact its value should you decide to sell it some day. that said, refin to original, done to factory quality would be the least impacting.

as far as what they used, regular automotive urethanes.

welcome to the board, my fellow firebird lover!

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

NOT!!!!

Don't paint it. Keep it original...

Or lose a ton on resale value. That might not matter to you now but it might to somebody someday...
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Paint it like you want and never sell it. Its a nice guitar and if you enjoy playing it then make it like you want.

Comment

Certainly not what I was expecting, That's hot! Leave it alone looks like one of Robbin's. It's got class.

Comment

Keep it original. It looks great as is.

Comment

If it were me and I was planning on keeping it forever, then I would have no problem having a pro put the finish I wanted on there. If there is any chance that you want to sell it down the road, leave it alone. Just my opinion.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

another one chiming in for leave it alone, looks awsome as is.

Comment

If I understand correctly, and it's original finish...
                              Leave it alone!
                              I can't count the number of times I've seen/heard that someone will
                              NEVER sell their guitar, and next thing you know, it's up for sale. It
                              will be worth a lot more original, than painted to taste. And, even if you
                              don't sell it, it will be worth a lot more to you when you see what originals sell for in
                              the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X