My redesign project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
    Instead of a black pg, maybe trying a mockup with a flame maple pickguard?
    That is a great idea right there!

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I am tending to agree with Toejam and thinking of leaving off the pickguard, though a flame maple pickguard does sound good. Have managed to get the majority of the existing finish off apart from the front which I am putting off a bit till i pick up the courage

One problem I am having though is that I want to improve the shielding around the electrics, but can't seem to find black shielding paint over here (UK) but I have found 'Electrically conductive silver paint', does anyone know if this does the same job?

Thanks
      Are you going to bark all day, lil' doggy......or are you gonna bite :ROTF:

Comment

There are a couple of people selling copper tape on ebay. Look for it under 'Musical Instruments'.
        http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Ah, I see. I'd just have the routes filled in, but I guess it is easier with the pickguard. Pickguards look cool, but it always seemed strange to me to hide a nice maple top like that.
          C'mon Joetam, you would fill the routes in....but what about the veneer?
          Actually, Joe is kinda right in a way. Filling the pup routes, then just re-veneering the whole top would probably be the best bet. You're gonna go right through that veneer if you try to strip the poly off of it. Even with a cabinet scraper.....well good luck. That stuff is ultra thin.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

+1. you can get thin flame veneer from grizzly; i say fill the routs, and retop the fucker.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've got my Model 4 at the tech getting Duncans now, and though I rarely used the middle SC, I didn't want to put a pickguard on. So, I'm having a JB HB put in the bridge, a Lil '59 SC-sized bucker in the middle, and a Cool Rails SC-sized bucker in the neck. I got all three p/u's new off eBay pretty cheap. The three mini-toggles will be used to split, parallel, and series. And the now-defunct active electronic knob will be a 5-way p/u selector. This way, I will not only have a very versatile and quiet git, but I also won't need a pickguard.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                C'mon Joetam, you would fill the routes in....but what about the veneer?
                Actually, Joe is kinda right in a way. Filling the pup routes, then just re-veneering the whole top would probably be the best bet. You're gonna go right through that veneer if you try to strip the poly off of it. Even with a cabinet scraper.....well good luck. That stuff is ultra thin.
                LOL Hi Mark! I say either retop it or go flame maple pickguard.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Does anyone know exactly how thin it is in mm for example, or where is could get a decent maple veneer from in the uk? If I did go the fill in and re-veneer route, whats the best way to stick the veneer to the guard? Is it just good old wood glue?
                  Are you going to bark all day, lil' doggy......or are you gonna bite :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                  X