Ft. Worth, Texas Charvel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. Worth, Texas Charvel...

Hi everyone. New here, but not to Charvels. I own what I believe is a Model 4 bought new in the mid 80's. It is Ferrari Red, with black pointed headstock, black hardware, and originally had black Jackson active-electronic pickups in h/s/s. There were 3 mini-toggles that turned on each pickup, a master volume, master tone, and active knob, and a Kahler Tremolo (Sorry, no pics right now as it is currently at my guitar tech's place getting Seymour Duncans put in and having the mini-toggles set to split/parrallel/series and the active-electronics knob replaced with a 5-way selector due to the active electronics going out many years ago). The headstock is guitar shaped, and the neck plate is chrome with a black enamel over the raised lettering that shows a Ft. Worth, Texas address.

Can anyone give me more info on this guitar, and if so, did I just ruin the value by pulling the ruined electronics? I've absolutely loved this guitar since day one, but she's been sitting idle ever since the actives went out.

Were the active electronics bad? If not, do you still have them? I wouldn't worry too much about resale. Some don't like the actives and pull them anyway. But without them, I don't think the value is effected that much...

Some can tell you a year with the serial number so let me be the first to ask for it. And what kind of trem is on it? Kahler or Jackson? That can help identify the year as well...

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure someone with more Model knowledge will be along soon. But the first question will be, "What's the serial number?"
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

it was made in '86 in Japan
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Damn, I feel like an idiot. He says Kahler trem in his first post. Duh...

Yep what G said. 1986...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Thanks, all. I've always wondered if she was an American grrl or not with the Texas address on the neckplate. Oh well, she's a player, and my favorite. Again, thank you for all the info, and I'll post some pics when I get her back.

Comment

do you still have the preamp?
            I have a set of pickups (low impedance) and would love to take the preamp off your hands.
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cloud View Post
              Thanks, all. I've always wondered if she was an American grrl or not with the Texas address on the neckplate. Oh well, she's a player, and my favorite. Again, thank you for all the info, and I'll post some pics when I get her back.
              It's much more than a player. Those MIJ Charvels are sweet, and the prices are going up fast. Take good care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                do you still have the preamp?
                I have a set of pickups (low impedance) and would love to take the preamp off your hands.

Sorry, but the tech that removed probably cleaned them up and put them in some Squier by now (the horror!).

Comment

What timing. I just threw out my old HSS set from my 650XL. Pots, toggle, 9V connector - the whole mess. It's still in the box in my trash can. I can run out to the garage and get it. Send me private messaage guys.

Comment

WOW , I sold mine on ebay with it missing the input jack toggles and the midboost pulled apart for $60 on ebay a while back and you tossed it in the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cloud View Post
                      That was the corporate headquarters and service center. They didn't build anything. Unfortunately, no one bothered to disclose that information on the guitar itself (i.e. "Made In Japan" on the neckplate or a sticker), so the "Ft. Worth=USA?" question will last forever.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        That was the corporate headquarters and service center. They didn't build anything. Unfortunately, no one bothered to disclose that information on the guitar itself (i.e. "Made In Japan" on the neckplate or a sticker), so the "Ft. Worth=USA?" question will last forever.
                        Actually, they ALL had a black and gold "MADE IN JAPAN" sticker on them.
                        A lot of people removed them, or they just fell off over time.
                        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          Actually, they ALL had a black and gold "MADE IN JAPAN" sticker on them.
                          A lot of people removed them, or they just fell off over time.
                          Yes, I've seen them, even on some Ebay auctions.
                          I wasn't 100% sure on the mid-80's Charvels, but I
                          have seen those stickers on quite a few late 80'-90's
                          Jacksons and Charvels. Right on the flat of the neck heel.

Comment

Working...
                          X