Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update with Pic! Pickup Mounting Ring replacements ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update with Pic! Pickup Mounting Ring replacements ??

Just an update to let everyone know that the first batch of mounting rings are done! I've contacted all the buyers(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!) via email. If anybody else would like these, please let me know. Also, if there is anything else you can think of that you might want made, I'm open to ideas and customizing for you.
    Thanks again and and if there any problems just please let me know!

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

hey Budman...whats your email address? I just snagged a model 3 dual hum body that I'll need them for if I cant make do with what I have.

[email protected]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
        hey Budman...whats your email address? I just snagged a model 3 dual hum body that I'll need them for if I cant make do with what I have.

[email protected]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey there Shawn,
        You can reach me at [email protected]
        Thanks again.
        Dave
        Dave ->

Comment

You've got a really great idea in making these Budman! I had installed EMGs in my '86 Rhoads, and the space around the pickups from the old mounting rings looked silly. I did manage to get a set in gold that fit the outer dimensions of the Jackson mounting rings and the inner dimentions of the EMGs. I got them through Vince,(KingV)who was(still is?)a JCFer. I have no idea were he got them from though, or if he milled them himself. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ May 01, 2003, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Subvamp ]

Comment

Originally posted by Subvamp:
            You've got a really great idea in making these Budman! I had installed EMGs in my '86 Rhoads, and the space around the pickups from the old mounting rings looked silly. I did manage to get a set in gold that fit the outer dimensions of the Jackson mounting rings and the inner dimentions of the EMGs. I got them through Vince,(KingV)who was(still is?)a JCFer. I have no idea were he got them from though, or if he milled them himself. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Were those made of brass or were they actually gold plated? If they were brass what did you use to keep them from tarnishing? I've thought of doing these but it would be costly to give the brass the correct type clearcoat to protect them form tarnishing. Clear lacquer or polyurethane doesn't hold up very well at all unless of course the guitar is not played [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Thanks for your post and if you need any of these black delrin rings, I think I'm going to do another batch because there is more interest in these to be made from other members. Please let me know ok?
            Dave->
            Dave ->

Comment

Dave,

I've made brass pickup selector knobs for my les paul and believe it or not the easiest way to keep em from tarnishing is clear nail polish. I've had that knob on my les paul for 6 yrs and it's still brass colored with no tarnish
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

so are you making the ones that are flat or with one side higher than the other?
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
                  Dave,

I've made brass pickup selector knobs for my les paul and believe it or not the easiest way to keep em from tarnishing is clear nail polish. I've had that knob on my les paul for 6 yrs and it's still brass colored with no tarnish
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Kev, thats a great idea, but I wouldn't want to have to clearcoat 40 mounting rings with nailpolish [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
                  Dave ->

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                    so are you making the ones that are flat or with one side higher than the other?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi John!
                    Like I described earlier in this thread, these have the 1/4" thickness all around like the originals did(at least all the ones I have on mine). Are your original rings tapered like that? I have yet to see any but I'm not a serious collector either. I realize some would want that for the neck angle but I have them on my model 6 and 5(I have a pic on the first page of this thread of a model 5 with them) and there's no difference except visual.
                    Thanks for asking!

Dave->
                    Dave ->

Comment

yeah my model 3 has tapered rings. i guess thats what they put on non recessed trems but i'm not sure.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

yeah my model 3 has tapered rings. i guess thats what they put on non recessed trems but i'm not sure.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, that's the first I've ever heard of those. All my Charvels have flat rings in them and they all have the angled necks and non-recessed trems also [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] . Your model 3 has 2 hums in it? Is that what they call a model-3a?
                        Thanks for the info!
                        Dave->

[ May 01, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
                        Dave ->

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by budman68:
                          Hi Kev, thats a great idea, but I wouldn't want to have to clearcoat 40 mounting rings with nailpolish [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good point .. lol
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Odd my 3a has flat rings. Have yours been replaced at some point?

Comment

I would say that flat rings are for recessed floyds because the strings are parallel to the face of the body, making it suitable for flat rings.

Tapered rings are for non-recessed floyds where the strings are far away from the body at the bridge and closing in at the neck. Tapered rings follow this angle.

Yes?
                              Henrik
                              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jackson1:
                                I would say that flat rings are for recessed floyds because the strings are parallel to the face of the body, making it suitable for flat rings.

Tapered rings are for non-recessed floyds where the strings are far away from the body at the bridge and closing in at the neck. Tapered rings follow this angle.

Yes?
                                [/QUOTE}

I would kind of agree, but 2 of my charvels are "supposed" to be all original, yet the rings are flat. They are both non recessed neck-thrus with the neck angle. Hmmmm [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

BTW, there are no neck angles on recessed trem guitars? None?

Dave->

[ May 01, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
                                Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                                X