Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all new here

Hi,
    New here, i found this forum a few weeks ago, and well, it has changed my life, at least re-ignited my passion for guitar, it's a long story (after writing this whole thing i proofread and realized i was gonna skip the story....), but i stopped playing about 10 years ago, i don't know why, other than maybe i hadn't gotten to the level of playing i thought i should have been after playing for 12 years, stupid. I loved guitar, and it was my life...really!!
    2 years ago, on my birthday, my well meaning mother bought me (You can laugh), a WAL-Mart fender starcaster package, guitar amp and sack, she said it was an 20 year anniversary thing. It was really more special than she probably knows. However feeling i had discraced myself to the six string gods, i never touched it till this last year, and just started noodling sometimes for hours, never even tried the little amp it came with, just twanging unplugged, and honestly it seemed i was refreshed, in a very short time i had a little bit of shred back in my fingers, i was a bit suprised i actually think my picking is better than it was before, after not touching a guitar in 10 years. I guess it's like riding a bike,...
    but anyway, ...thanks to all of you, i now have GAS, and honestly i did'nt know what the hell that meant till two nights ago, i just thought you all had farty bottoms, but i've now figured it out.

After seeing all of the sweet ass pics of everyones cherry 1980's 90's RR models, i actually couldn't believe some of you guys actually have piles of them,
    there is a grave unbalance in the universe if you ask me.

Since 1985 i've wanted this guitar, (yes it all started with me because of Randy too :O) i could never really afford one of the import models let alone the USA models, but alas after a few weeks of seeing this forum, i now have a 1991 RR proffesional in my hands and it's damn near mint!!, so i don't want to play it I like to stare at it tho, lol, actully i don't like the neck, go figure, this thing is flat as a 2x4, i had been playing pawn shop home modded guitars all my life and i think i'm just used to a more traditional strat style neck sanded down to fit my hand just right, ...case in point, i actually really like the feel of this starcaster from wal mart, (laugh your ass off here) anyway, this is way to much information, i think i just needed to unload, sorry.

Anyway my next guitar to be will be a Kelly, which i've acquired an old, sweet full bound, mint, full mother of pearl, sharkies, and jackson logo, neck to attach to it, sure it's prolly MIJ but it's a rare one and really beautiful. Since i'm not paying 2.5g for any custom shop guitar in my lifetime, i will suffice with a home built custom
    That being said, i am in the market for an Alder Kelly body in good condition.
    And finally, since before i could never afford the guitar of my dreams, i decided back in 92 to build my own, it was almost to the point of ready for paint when i abandoned it, and besides the Carvin neck i chose for it, it is completely hand carved using rasp and files and A LOT of sanding full bevel BC Rich/Jackson style, neck thru, that looks now like a cross between a stealth/warrior, it's an amature effort for sure, influenced by Akira Takasaki's killer model, and an ibanez axestar i believe, anyway everyone who saw it back in the day wanted one, it will be finished before i die if i can help it, and i hope to share some pics with you guys of it in time.
    Thanks for having this forum, i am a reader more than a poster, but i made up for it with this one post right, i'm so glad the passion for guitar is alive and well, and in the hearts of the younger generation as well, and that now there is the possiblilty to share it via forums with so many people so far away, just awesome.

if you read this whole thing, you must be bored, go play your guitar.
    __________________________________________________ __
    he begins to feel depressed now. he knows the end is near. he
    realized at last that imaginary guitar notes and imaginary vocals exist only in the imagination of the imaginer...and... ultimately...., who gives a f*#k anyway... so he goes back to his ugly little room and quietly dreams his last imaginary guitar solo...FZ
    Last edited by Trem; 01-20-2008, 12:14 AM.

Welcome to the JCF. Maybe it will help make you feel better to know that you'd only find a custom for $2500 if it was used. If you don't buy from the right place USA Selects can easily be that much. My dream was a custom Kelly (now a King Kelly). I won't say never, but I'm happily (and impatiently) awaiting a US Kelly.

Don't feel bad about the WM special, but don't give up on the RR either. I started on fat and narrow Les Paul necks and now I prefer thin and wide Jackson necks.
    Last edited by Bri; 01-20-2008, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Trem. That's a great story, just goes to show how mothers really do know best.

The RR PRO you acquired is a great guitar. The '90 - '94 Professionals are highly regarded on this forum. I suggest you give the neck a chance. Like Bri, I also used to prefer fat necks but have come to love the neck on my Soloist PRO.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        Yes i will definately be playing her a bit, absolutley, it feels less natural for some reason a bit of a strain on my hands wrists to play, and requires more pick movement distance between strings, which feels awkward.
        I do remember oogling these models back in the day, and this is the one without the pro on the truss rod cover, i remember when they added that because i thought it looked cluttered and kinda cheap, i like also the color, as it's not jet black, not that jet black isn't badass, but it's kind of a metal flake gun metal sorta black, which gives a bit of variation from the hardware and fit and trim.
        I seriously wanna get a showcase case and mount it on my wall so i can fwap to it before i go to sleep at night :ROTF:

Comment

Welcome Trem. I read your whole story and I will go play my guitar in a minute Good luck adjusting to the compound radius of the Jackson, which is night and day compared to your Starcaster, I'm sure. Where did you find the Rhoads Pro? People are hanging on to them like they are something special. Oh wait, they are!
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I got it off of e-bay
            I watched the guitar thru two posts, what the guy was asking the first post as starting bid was a little more than i wanted to risk, however the seller had a perfect rating and had sold guitars before on ebay, and i could tell from messaging him he wasn't a tool.
            I let the first post slide, no one had bid on it, i was kinda surprised.
            I figured i'de hold out, and if he posted it again i felt he probably would start the bidding at a bit lower price, which after about a week he did,
            finally he got a bite, and i let is sit till about 45 seconds of bid end and couldn't resist, so i sniped it, and got it for 80 bucks less than if i woulda pulled on the first posting.
            This guitar has no scratches on the body, one small one on the cavity plate, no big, the fins are in great shape, the top fin has a teeny tiny small paint chip that the seller photgraphed so close that it seemed like it was way bigger than it was, really when i got the guitar it was in way better shape that i thought it was gonna be, i was very suprised.
            Mint frets, floyd is hardly used I can touch up this spot so well, you would have a hard time seeing it unless you shined a bright light on it and moved the guitar around looking at the glare.

I'm new to the whole e-bay thing, having never even been there till this last Oct. and i hadn't seen this forum and the e-fraid of e-bay forum, but, pretty much after a short time of browsing e-bay i was very apparent to me that great caution should be used when looking to buy from it.
            So far, i have had great dealings, mainly use your head, and trust your gut, i basically will only deal with buyers or sellers that have 100% rating, or if not, i will study their feedback, and make an assessment based on if i feel they were given bad feedback by someone for something beyond their control.
            But i def learned some stuff last night from the e-bay thread here at jcf,
            and it confirmed some things i had already figured out, for the record, i was up until 8 am (today) reading new and old threads here about 10 hours or so, and alot of coffee and smokes lol. Some threads here had me in tears:ROTF:

About the compund radius neck, i was thinking when i first put my hands on this neck, hmmn, this seems different, maybe these necks being an import was not using a compound radius? I mean, i've played other jacksons in the past, but this one seemed so much flatter from tip to heal than i ever remembered, but, it's been so long, maybe i just forgot how they felt.
            Really, it seems pretty much the same radius from tip to heal. It isn't really any more rounded at the nut than at the 12th fret the profile is more like this [ than this (
            The guitar is very light and resonant, poplar fins i'm pretty sure, and since i don't own a decent amp yet, i practice unplugged, which i prefer anyway, but it has a very projective tone.

Comment

I enjoyed reading all of it.

Enjoy your GAS!
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                I'm new to the whole e-bay thing, having never even been there till this last Oct. and i hadn't seen this forum and the e-fraid of e-bay forum,
                I have a sense that until very recently, you have led a merry and outgoing life, with lots of time on your hands, fresh air, real daylight and socializing with real humans in the real world. Dude, it sounds like you're now on the way to Forum-hell! Welcome!!
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Welcome

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

^^ yea what he said

Comment

Welcome, great story..need pics.

Comment

I know, i should have pics, however my camera has this wierd film stuff in it, that the pictures go on,
                        i tried to pull it out and stick it into my dvd drive to no avail, it doesn't seem to work

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Great story!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Welcome to the Club!

Post some Pics when you Can, I looking at other peoples gear.

Zombie

Comment

Working...
                            X