Is this harmful for your guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this harmful for your guitar

Thank you! I agree 100%. I've seen LP Customs that snap in two from this abuse. If you forget your bar, slip a finger under the rear of the fine tuners and give it a wiggle, otherwise keep better track of your bar [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That was Brad Gillis who used to push the headstock foward like that...

If I remember correctly, Jake used to grab a string between the nut and tuner and wiggle it. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I am surprised Brad Gillis would do it. He used a bar like a crutch so I am not sure why he would need to bend the neck.

I have a video of Jake doing it.

Comment

Seen Jake with Badlands at the Marquee (small club) in Garden Grove front row bending the sh*t out of the neck...COOOOOOOOL I will bet his Charvels still play great!

Comment

I think *most* of the 70's-80's, Les Paul players used this technique. I've never known anyone to have problems from it, but I sure wouldn't try it with a newer Ibanez or anything with a super thin shred type neck. A lot of those guys would also strike a note and then detune it with the tuning machine (like a dive-bomb) and then bring it back to pitch and keep playing. You gotta be pretty quick for that though. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Man that has "bad idea" written all over it. Just think about it...wood isn't naturally an elastic material...so any extra forces on it like that can't be good for it.
              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
              RIP Dime

Comment

i remember letting a friend play my '77 les paul, he did that and i said "do that again and i'll bend your neck till it snaps". he never played that guitar again, he proved he couldnt handle it so i said no more. that guitar is my baby, my pride and joy, no one screws with it.

if anyone but me f#$%s up that guitar, i will hurt them. i take great care of that axe and i'm not letting someone bend the neck on it. i dont do that, so no one else is either.

Comment

jeff waters from annihilator really bends the neck to the point where it sounds like pretty agressive trem bar stuff almost. i saw him do that live, but that was with a stoptail hamer v that he got free most likely. i don't know why anybody with an expensive guitar would think that was a good idea, personally. if it was a neck through (les paul etc. ) i think someone should have their head examined for even thinking about it, since any repairs will be that much more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Prof_Oblivion:
                    i remember letting a friend play my '77 les paul, he did that and i said "do that again and i'll bend your neck till it snaps". he never played that guitar again, he proved he couldnt handle it so i said no more. that guitar is my baby, my pride and joy, no one screws with it.

if anyone but me f#$%s up that guitar, i will hurt them. i take great care of that axe and i'm not letting someone bend the neck on it.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                    X