Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dilema, PS4 or Model 4

Hi guys,
    here is my dilema, I have a jap jackson ps4 and a jap charvel model 4. Both guitars i love to bits, i prefer the neck on my jackson but prefer the body on the charvel. The charvel could really do with a new neck and trem and pickups.

I can only afford to do one guitar up, I have already changed the pots and switch on the jackson for dimarzio ones, changed the bridge humbucker to a bareknuckle holy diver and am in the process of getting a floyd original for it.

thing is i prefer the looks and colour of the charvel but think its going to cost more to do up and if i order a musikraft neck for it, its not going to be original and i dont know if it'll play as nice as the ps4. Also i have no idea what trem I can replace the old one with.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and hopefully help me decide!

Originally posted by tinribs View Post
    The charvel could really do with a new neck and trem and pickups.
    The above statement leads me to believe that you really don't like the Model 4 as much as you think you do. If you don't like the way it plays/feels and sounds and want to change the neck,trem and pickups then maybe you should concentrate on the other axe.

Comment

+1. A new neck, trem and pickups, would mean replacinging half the guitar.

Comment

The Model 4 will be worth more in the long run if it's original.

Is the PS4 MIJ or MIK?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          The Model 4 will be worth more in the long run if it's original.

Is the PS4 MIJ or MIK?
          I think its Jap, i posted a couple of picks a while back http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78795

the model 4 - http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79353
          its the white one.....
          Last edited by tinribs; 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if the PS4 neck fit on the Model 4?
            Scott

Comment

There is only one correct answer to this dilema.
              Fix up both.
              Just take your time, and do them a little at a time.
              I wouldn't part with either of them.
              None of them are going to get any cheaper to replace in the future!
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

that'd be ideal, the jackson neck on the charvel!

Guess I'll put the charvel back in the cupboard for now and carry on doing up the ps4.

thanks guys

Comment

I'd fix up the Model 4 personally.
                  And just an FYI... you do know that an OFR will not fit in the PS-4 without making some modifications (routing).
                  The string lock bolts are too long on an OFR and they will hit the body.
                  A Schaller trem will drop right in.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    I'd fix up the Model 4 personally.
                    And just an FYI... you do know that an OFR will not fit in the PS-4 without making some modifications (routing).
                    The string lock bolts are too long on an OFR and they will hit the body.
                    A Schaller trem will drop right in.
                    I didnt know that, the bloke who sells them on ebay assured me it'd go straight on. what a turd. I'll look for a schaller. thanks rick, you've just saved me wasting £160

he says in his ad it will fit aswell

Edit: Sorry for being dumb, but what schaller trem should i be looking for for the PS4? thanks
                    Last edited by tinribs; 02-07-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I didnt know that, the bloke who sells them on ebay assured me it'd go straight on. what a turd. I'll look for a schaller. thanks rick, you've just saved me wasting £160

he says in his ad it will fit aswell

Edit: Sorry for being dumb, but what schaller trem should i be looking for for the PS4? thanks
                      This is the one you want:
                      http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_fr_tremolo_ii.htm

I'm no expert on the Performer series, but I'm guessing from the replies here that they have the JT-500 Schaller copy trem. The Schaller made "Floyd Rose II" should fit that route perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                        Locking tremolo Features identical dimensions to those of Floyd Rose and LockMeister tremolos, Interchangeable knife edges made from hardened steel, Cast steel saddles, Solid tremolo block, Produces a perfect sound transmission and a long sustain,...

I'm no expert on the Performer series, but I'm guessing from the replies here that they have the JT-500 Schaller copy trem. The Schaller made "Floyd Rose II" should fit that route perfectly.
                        That trem will drop right in.
                        Just use your existing trem posts and lock nut, they will work just fine.
                        -Rick

Comment

JT-590
                          Stewart McDonald has the best prices for a new one...
                          E-bay shows up with one every now and again for 75-100 bucks (or so, actual buying price).

If you see one for sale for $50 B.I.N., it's prolly a cheaper JT-500

Look for the made in Germany on the face of it, right next to the trem bar, that's the tip-off.

Here's all you'll ever need to know, mostly:
                          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                          --floydkramer

Comment

that'd be ideal, the jackson neck on the charvel!
                            It won't work. As far as I remember, the PS4 has a 24 fret neck and the Model 2 is a 22 fret neck. Can't be done without MAJOR modifications.
                            Guitars:
                            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                            1988 Model 2,
                            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                            RR3
                            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                              Locking tremolo Features identical dimensions to those of Floyd Rose and LockMeister tremolos, Interchangeable knife edges made from hardened steel, Cast steel saddles, Solid tremolo block, Produces a perfect sound transmission and a long sustain,...

Thanks for that, it looks identical to the one thats on there, just says jackson on mine. Are they they same except the jackson one is not made as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X