Help me make up my mind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me make up my mind!

I can't decide what I should do for my next guitar. It's something I'll be able to do in the next few months and I need help choosing as I can only do one for now.

1. Build a Musikraft guitar. Strat head with a maple board and a mahogany body all oil finished with a floyd.

2. Buy a used Jackson/Charvel. Either a model 2 or something soloist like.

3. Buy a new Jackson something like an RR5 or around that quality.

I have a 475 deluxe and a dinky HX and am looking to add to my collection. It needs to be under a grand.

All opinions are welcomed.

imo, instead of option 1, i'd get one of the MZ mahogany charvel stratheads. it's not gonna be under a grand, but when you're done with the parts guitar, you may be over a grand anyway.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'll definitely keep it in mind. Its a little more then I want to spend but not completely outrageous. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Used Soloist XL, or Soloist Pro

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

I like option #1 too but it always costs more than just buying a nice used axe.

I've built or pieced together 3 guitars and they all cost more than I was hoping to spend............on the other hand, I love them to death cause they are mine by design so..................
          Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
          Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

used soloist SL2H

Comment

Option #1. Well under a grand! Especially if you do the finish (not a difficult finish) and setup yourself. Plus, you learn a lot in the process. On a Musikraft neck, you should not have to do any fretwork. They have improved on this over the last year. The guitars I built myself are some of the best sounding and playing guitars I own. One thing to think about is if you plan to sell it you may take a loss on a home built. I've been building them since 1984 and I have never sold one. They are all unique to me.

If you go store bought, I agree with Sully on the MZ Natural. Real nice guitars.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Model 6?

Comment

If you go with #1 check out Mojo. I have some killer necks oiled and ready to ship. I'm not certain but I may also have a 1 piece Mahogany blank on hand if not I know I have several 2-piece blanks like used on MZ run. If you want to pass on #1 I side with Sully on the MZ Naturals they are at a good price for a Charvel Strathead.

Comment

Being as I've never seen a Musikraft, I vote 2. Just buy it from a JCF member if you can.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Saw this and thought you might wanna take a look.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgea...stId=104595282
                      Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel

Comment

Wow thanks for all the ideas! You guys are great!

I am and have been leaning towards building one as I like the satisfaction of a job well done. I will definitely look into Mojo as well. I will also consider the MZ Natural and some of the other options.

The used one at guitar center is perfect except for the lack of a trem.

Hell I might buy a couple, a new and used one. Its just too bad I have to wait for a couple of months to do it.

Comment

I've never played one of these Charvel Strat-heads, but I'm curious to see what is so amazing about them that they can make Strats and still not be considered Fender Rip Off's. Not likely to be able to purchase one any time soon though, cause the price tags on these things are a bit high for my blood, lol.

Comment

Here's another one you might wanna see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warmoth-Mighty-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by jairic View Post
                              I've never played one of these Charvel Strat-heads, but I'm curious to see what is so amazing about them that they can make Strats and still not be considered Fender Rip Off's. Not likely to be able to purchase one any time soon though, cause the price tags on these things are a bit high for my blood, lol.
                              A just about all of the pre-86 and the majority the recent s-heads are really nothing like a fender strat IMHO. THe sound, feel and playablity are completely different. Play a few new ones if you can and you will see
                              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                              X