neck thru vs set neck vs bolt on guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck thru vs set neck vs bolt on guitars

Ok, I'm probably inviting flameage here, but I'm REALLY digging my bolt on Charvels and Jacksons more than set neck or neck throughs.

For some reason, I just prefer the way the bolt ons respond... the neck/body joint doesn't bug me either. They just seem more percussive to me (the bolt ons) and I like how they ring better.

No, it's not an issue of japanese neck throughs or set necks vs USA boltons either... I have owned some custom shop stuff down to japanese, and everything in between - I just prefer the bolts.

It's getting bad... I'm even thinking of getting rid of my two archtop pro soloists. *!*

Anyone else share my twisted preference for boltons?

Pete

Re: neck thru vs set neck vs bolt on guitars

I like them all, it just depends on the brand/type of guitar, neck joint is less important to me as is the mojo and quality and playability [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

It's personal choice so why get flamed?

I like my bolt-on Dinky over my SL2H sometimes. I think it's because the neck and balance of the guitar is lighter towards the headstock and the neck is a littel thinner. Feels faster.

But then there are days when you're playing above the 17th fret all the time and that's when a neck-thru heel-less shines.

Overall though I have to say the tone and sustain of a set/thru guitar is better.

Comment

I prefer a bolt-on neck myself. I played bolt-on for many years before ever laying my hands on a neck-thru, so it just seems so familiar to me. My nicest Jackson is my KV2, but my favorite to play is a beat up old Dinky import with a cracked headstock and pretty rough fretwear.
        sigpic

Comment

I can actually hear the sound difference between the two and I will never own a bolt-on again!... it is also guarantee of the authenticity of my guitars, which is a nice bonus.

However, I have been thinking about the flexibility of adjusting the bolt-on and definitely a good adjusted bolt-on can be very low-action and responsive in general...

To me neck-through means Jackson for some reason...

[ April 27, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

i'm with pete....bolt on necks for me, please.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I love the neck on my US Dinky...it is so effortless to play...so smooth and fast. My main guitar for many many years was my Kelly XL with a sweet bolt on neck. Until recently when my Warrior Pro arrived those were my main guitars above my neck-thrus. I haven't personally noticed a sound differnce between bolt on and neck-thrus so it's been strictly a playability and feel preference for me.

- Joel
              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
              RIP Dime

Comment

I own a wide variety. Bolt/set/thru, finished/bare, ebony/rose/maple, 24.75/25/25.5...

I like 'em all. Just not for the same music.

Every one of my axes feels/plays/sounds/responds different from the rest. I love the fact that every neck I own has a different back profile from the rest, and demands varying technique to get the most out of it.

Playing 'Lazy' (Deep Purple) on my 750xl, Roswell, AT1, or Death Warrior feels...awkward. Playing it on my 88LE or Strat-o-Chandler mutt- the notes, bends, and vibrato fall right into place.
                Conversely, Halford/Priest riffing demands the shorter scales of my 750 or Roswell, while anything needing huge bottom finds it in my neck-thru Death Warrior or set-neck Schecter C7+.
                Bluesy stuff seems to find it's way to the AT1, shredding to the 88LE, tight riffing to the 750xl.

I guess I'm an 'Equal-Opportunity Riffer'. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I like having a variety of tools. I think my only 'preference' is not having the same thing twice!
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor:
                  I guess I'm an 'Equal-Opportunity Riffer'. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have 5 guitars that are all different, even though 3 of them are all Jackson dinky/soloist bodystyles, they all have different feels and characteristics about them that set them apart.

Comment

I like different feeling necks/etc too, but I have a few bolt-on guitars that just KILL my set neck/neck throughs. Right now, I'm at around 20 or so guitars, so I have a decent array of axes to compare.

Hmm, may be selling some archtops soon...

Pete

Comment

&larr; [starts empting the kids piggy banks]
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Heheheh, nice new sig, nor!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] But, poor kids! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

in my personal experience3s, I dont notice any sustain or "tone" differences.

The Ibanez All access neck joing has the same fret access as my old Soloist to my hands.

ONE thing I did notice was that the neck could be "moved" on my ibanez. With a little force the neck would move in the pocket whilest it was a new guitar and all the screws were properly torqued. That one even blew my guitar tech away.

To this day, I'll still say a Soloist with a tung oiled neck is the ultimate guitar, EXCEPT they need to toss in some PIEZO systems ala Parker. Stainless steel frets would be nice too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I notice bolt-ons being brighter than neck-throughs. It's not just the differences in scale lengths (24 3/4" Warrior, 25 1/2" Dinky), as the Fusions sound brighter than a Soloist or Warrior. The Soloists I've had both had the same feeling from the strings - kinda rubbery or overly flexible under the pick, but only the Soloists. The Warrior feels normal under the pick. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X