neck thru vs set neck vs bolt on guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: neck thru vs set neck vs bolt on guitars

i'm not a fan of painted necks myself, although it's ok when you get used to it. neck through is definitely a darker tone, with more sustain compared to a bolt on though, no myth.

Comment

Guys, there are so many factors that contribute to (or detract from) sustain:

Body wood
      Pickup type
      Trem/bridge type
      Amplifier

even things that might not come to mind right away:

String gauge & condition
      Cord choice / condition

IMO we shouldn't even be worried about how neck construction affects sustain. Anecdote: my bolt-on Kelly seems to sustain longer than my SL2H (both equipped with EMG81s and going through my modded Marshall).
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
        Anecdote: my bolt-on Kelly seems to sustain longer than my SL2H (both equipped with EMG81s and going through my modded Marshall).
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's because your Soloist is full of holes, and when filled with M&Ms and Skittles, sustain is killed. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And I do believe the first time I ever read about neckthroughs having more sustain than bolt-ons was from "Guitar For Dummies". Their example of a neckthrough guitar was the Jackson Soloist. I actually believed the hype for quite some time before finding the JCF and it helped me to become more familiar with Jackson. So, it can't be all bad, except the sustain thing is practically bull. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] So, I'm on a crusade to stop new guitarists from reading that chapter in that book. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ April 12, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Number Of The Priest ]

Comment

Originally posted by achren_git:
          neck through is definitely a darker tone, with more sustain compared to a bolt on though, no myth.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I'd say that's a myth on both accounts. Neck throughs are usually brighter souding, and there's no difference in sustain.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The only neck-thru I've owned was a Charvel model 6 and it played as nice as all my bolt-ons but that guitar stayed in tune better than any bolt-on I've ever had except for my JSX Concept which stays in tune great and I love the neck. I've had all my bolt-ons in the past set up by guitar techs and still had tuning problems on a few of them. I'm looking to buy a DK-2 from a local pawn shop and I love the neck on it. I've played it and it holds tune very nicely. I would love another neck-thru though. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer painted neck thru guitars.
              Wanna buy a USA BC Rich bolt on? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer neck-thrus the most, followed by set necks then bolt-ons. In some cases, I have chosen a bolt-on to a set neck, but when given a choice, the neck-thru wins every time.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Pulverizer:
                  I prefer painted neck thru guitars.
                  Wanna buy a USA BC Rich bolt on? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I might.

Comment

I own all 3 types. I think neck thru have a very strong fundamental note the harmonics aren't as stong.( because of the string are on one piece or kind of wood headstock to bridge) Bolt on have are more percusive because body and the neck are made of two different types of wood and they vibrate differently and cancel some vibration. Set in necks seem to be in between the other 2 types. Played with high gain they all can sound about the same, at cleaner setting is where you'll hear a differents.

Comment

Actually, I'd say that's a myth on both accounts. Neck throughs are usually brighter souding, and there's no difference in sustain.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, i'm just going by what i hear- my neck through kelly is SIGNIFICANTLY darker with more sustain than my bolt on RR. obviously other factors will affect the tone too, but i'd say there's a big fundamental tonal difference between neck thru and bolt on, which one you prefer is simply personal choice, i wouldn't say either is intrinsically better (although i much prefer neck-thru)
                      this is one of those things that we can argue about forever, and no-one's gonna change their minds anyway though, eh?

Comment

I recently purchased a neck-thru for the added sustain, after compairing in to my bolt-ons I decided to sell the neck-thru, I'm sure they may have slightly more sustain but it sure as hell aint enough to mean much. I have come to the conclusion that I personally have spent too much time trying to find the perfect gear and not enough time improving my guitar skills.Which ever feels right to you go for it and if your a new guitarist quit chasing the mytical "perfect" guitar cause perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Well mountain dave that was a very lucid answer.You hit the nail on the head play what feels right in your hands, bolt on or neck thru the difference is not that great.Sometimes a 200.00 guitar plays better than a 2000.00 guitar.Its all wood and metal. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The one question no one can answer is: "Why do you care which one has more sustain?"
                            I mean, seriously, if you're wanting notes that ring for 6 months straight, get a PC1 with a Sustainer or mount an Ebow to your guitar and set it on a stand, plugged in and the amp on for 6 months. Hit any open string and then in 6 months it'll still be there if the battery is good enough.
                            There's absolutely no place in any form of music for one note or chord to drone throughout the entire piece with absolutely no change (no pauses, no pitch changes, etc etc - hit the note at the start of the song and let it ring through to the end non-stop).

This fact alone makes the question of which construction technique has better/more sustain totally irrelevant.

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, you're right, but not exactly for the reason you say.

Of course no one wants 6 months of sustain, but many players DO want controllable sustain that will hold as long as they want.

The reason the construction method is irrelevant is because it's the pickup and amplification chain, not the instrument structure, that determines the sustain, or really, harmonic feedback characteristics, of the guitar in question. Gain and harmonic feedback produce the kind of sustain most metal players like, otherwise we'd use compressor-sustainers instead of distortion-overdrive devices or high-gain amps.

Still, same endpoint: The guitar's construction wth electric solidbodies makes much less difference than pickups and amplification to the effective sustain ability of the guitar.

[ April 13, 2004, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                                ...many players DO want controllable sustain that will hold as long as they want.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Once the note degenerates into feedback, the sustain times between construction methods is blurred even more. Aside from the fact that you can only play with feedback live for so long before it becomes boring, and if you reach that point, you're done for the night [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now, as for comfort and the accessibility offered by each construction method (as Pete first mentioned in the opener), I have no trouble with neck heels - you guys that do must have little stubby fingers or webbed hands [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
                                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X