neck thru vs set neck vs bolt on guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: neck thru vs set neck vs bolt on guitars

i like'm all set , bolt on or neckthru. some shapes I dont like bolt ons tho, Vs never look right as bolton where I think full size rounded strats dont look right as neckthrus.

plus im a big fan of beater mutts, i love having a guitar that plays killer & doesnt mind being thrown at drummer. & with neckthrus thats just not a good idea, even tho my model 6 has survived many short flights across a room/stage/house.

Comment

Neck-thru's for me.. I can't stand the bolt-on heel, totally gets in my way.. thats the only reason why. Tonal difference is barely an issue when comparing them imo.. how much could your tone possibly be affected?? lol The only problem is finding a neckthru with an oiled neck, but hopefully I'll have one next month.. hint hint..

[ April 28, 2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

Personally, I prefer neck-thru guitars. I find that notes ring out more clearly on a neck-thru guitar than on a bolt-on instrument. Tonally, however, I would agree that they are not that far apart.

Comment

........I do agree that neck thru's have better sustain , but for fast metal like we play , it wouldn't really matter cause of all the stops and such , but I do keep my guitars in real good shape hot rod em tweak em and always keep the finger board real clean and oiled and they with the proper care sound just as good as the USA stuff ! but I would like a RR neck thru just for feel and balance .........//Steve

Comment

...that plays killer & doesnt mind being thrown at drummer.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL!! Great to know I'm not the only one who does that on occasion!

Comment

Interesting thread....I have both too and play my bolt-ons more than my neck thrus. I like them both but I like idea about swapping necks on bolt ons. I have a woody now for some reason for maple/maple necks, lot easier swaping a bolt on than a neck thru [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I like them all, but I prefer bolt on. Feels best and I like the attack and sound. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You're not alone, Pete. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer Jackson type guitars with a neck through or set neck construction and I prefer Fender type guitars with a bolt on neck. I hear a tonal difference between the two and the difference compliments what I want to play on those guitars. Bolt on Jackson style guitars are not bad at all, they just don't have the tone and rigid feel I get from the neck throughs.

Comment

Thread resurrection , I was going to ask the same question.I seem to play my bolt on guitars more than my soloists and Carvin DCs.For whatever reason they sound and feel better to me.Maybe it is because that is what I started on and have play for many years.It just something about a bolt on guitar the just feels right.It feels kind of strange when you get into the upper frets and have no heel there.I guess have grown use to it being there.I though I was strange for not likeing my neck throughs more but I see that I not alone. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Mike
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I own two bolt-ons and one neckthrough. No difference in acoustic unplugged tone comparing similar woods but different neck construction, in my experiences. I love them all. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I also have two acoustic guitars that I think have dovetail neck joints. What would that be, set-neck, I guess? I could compare with a bolt-on Taylor acoustic, but I don't own one yet. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I always tend to prefer neckthru guitars only because I don't like reaching into the upper registers and feeling a heel in the way.

Comment

bolt on for me. then again i havent found a lefty neck thru so my model6's get flipped over hendrix style. while the necks feel fine to me i think thats cause i learned that way,bodies just dig into my ribs too much so i got a lefty and those are all bolt on necks. i find a lefty neck thru charvel model6 and that would be the holy grail to me.

Comment

I too prefer bolt on, although my set neck Les Paul is my favorite guitar of all time. I have a neckthru Mockingbird and it is amazing, but I prefer my bolt ons and set necks. I think it really has to do with the guitar. Do I prefer my Les Paul because it is set neck? No. It is just the perfect combination of wood and parts. I also don't like 24 frets, which is why I probably don't love my mockingbird. I don't think there is a real perceived tone or sustain the relates to a neck joint. I think it has more to do with body woods and electronics. I can pretty much get the same tone out of all of my guitars if I want. Most of them are close even without changing any amps settings.

Comment

I own a single bolt on Jackson PS4 and the rest of my guitars are neck thrus. I got spoiled after I got my first Carvin, not I can only buy neck thru guitars. The weird thing though is that the PS4 is on a stand next to my desk and is usually the first one I grab to play but thats mostly because it's sitting righ there (everything else is in it's case) and it's also my beater.

edited for spelling.
                              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

i prefer neck through. the main thing i like is the painted necks, and the smooth to almost non existant neck joint. i wish i could get all the necks painted on all my bolt on guitars, and i wish i could get the neck joint smoothed/scalloped too. another bonus is the sustain you get the with neck through.

Comment

Working...
                                X