No announcement yet.

Graphic Copyright???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys really think that ANYONE is gonna chase you down because you have 1 guitar painted with someone else's work? I don't think so.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
      Do you guys really think that ANYONE is gonna chase you down because you have 1 guitar painted with someone else's work? I don't think so.
      Only if it's a GIBSON!
      "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
        Unless you put it up on eBay.
        Them bastards will pull your auction in a heartbeat. :ROTF:
        -Rick

Comment

I dont think as the owner they would come after you, the person that did the work on the other hand would probably get a cease and desist order.

Comment

So, all you'd need to do is protect the identity of the artist and all should be well in the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Unless you put it up on eBay.
              Them bastards will pull your auction in a heartbeat. :ROTF:
              Now that's why there's Craigslist! :ROTF:

Now on topic. IMO you can copy anything you want, but when it comes time to let it go be prepared you may have a tuffer time selling it. Not that there wouldn't be buyers for it, but selling avenues become smaller.

We all know how EVH and his boyzzzz have been handling the home made striped copies. The interesting thing about that is (correct me if I'm wrong) I beleive his copywrite didn't come into play until 2001-2002??????
              Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Personal use is not restricted under copyright laws.
                It's when you try and sell it. That's when it can get sticky. Each copyright holder has the right to set conditions of use for their material, so it can vary widely as to what you can and cannot do with a piece of copyrighted material.
                Look at the Frenchie graphic for the DiMartini's... from what I understand, the copyright owner of the graphic refused to let it be reproduced.
                Anyone doing reproductions can be sued by the copyright owner for infringement.
                Not saying they will... just saying they can.
                ***** So if im understanding this correctly.. Mike Learn could redue
                the "Frenchy"...for me, as long as I NEVER sell it? Or does the "Frenchy"
                have to be done by me personally?

Comment

Originally posted by wibble View Post
                  Another question, if i ultimately get what i want, and get the headstock refinished too, with permission, would i be able to get new decals to replace the old ones. Would Charvel possibly supply these?

There is a website that will sell them to you....they don't advertise them, but if you ask them specifically they will sell one to you. At least that was true a few months ago.
                  "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                    ***** So if im understanding this correctly.. Mike Learn could redue
                    the "Frenchy"...for me, as long as I NEVER sell it? Or does the "Frenchy"
                    have to be done by me personally?
                    Robert
                    I wouldn't do it if you asked. This is all a gray area in which artists are ripped off daily if not hourly. The reason Frenchy isnt reproduced as of yet is due to the Type face used on the text. The original owner of the type face has not been tracked down according to Mike McGregor. They are doing the right thing and I really respect them for that. I am sure the artist, if found, would be reasonable. I have had to send cease and decist letters to other painters, just because the work was a blatant and unqualified effort to confuse the viewer. I still will. Most artists comply nicely to a courteous letter. I have a lawyer on retainer for alot of different aspects as a business owner, he handles if for me and makes the call if the letter needs to be sent. Im not out hunting guys down, just letting them know that they could have possibly spent a few extra minutes to creatively take what I have done and expand on it. I personally grant permission all the time to guys to replicate or similuate my work. I appreciate the effort on their behalf. But you guys must understand, this is our intellectual property and how we take care of our families. We aren't being dicks, just trying to pay the bills. Ask Jackson or Charvel how they feel about peeps putting counterfiet logos on replica guitars.

Rock on,
                    Mike
                    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                      Robert
                      I wouldn't do it if you asked. This is all a gray area in which artists are ripped off daily if not hourly. The reason Frenchy isnt reproduced as of yet is due to the Type face used on the text. The original owner of the type face has not been tracked down according to Mike McGregor. They are doing the right thing and I really respect them for that. I am sure the artist, if found, would be reasonable. I have had to send cease and decist letters to other painters, just because the work was a blatant and unqualified effort to confuse the viewer. I still will. Most artists comply nicely to a courteous letter. I have a lawyer on retainer for alot of different aspects as a business owner, he handles if for me and makes the call if the letter needs to be sent. Im not out hunting guys down, just letting them know that they could have possibly spent a few extra minutes to creatively take what I have done and expand on it. I personally grant permission all the time to guys to replicate or similuate my work. I appreciate the effort on their behalf. But you guys must understand, this is our intellectual property and how we take care of our families. We aren't being dicks, just trying to pay the bills. Ask Jackson or Charvel how they feel about peeps putting counterfiet logos on replica guitars.

Rock on,
                      Mike
                      Cool... that's why i asked the MAN!

Comment

To expand on this- My fiancee is an illustrator. Every single aspect of the creative process is covered here, IF YOU RECOGNIZE REVENUE from it particularly. For example, were Mike to re-create someone else's work, the issue is not that YOU have the guitar and it is not going to be sold- the issue is MIKE did it and was paid for it.

If you want, for example, to paint the Iron Maiden logo on the side of your house, have at it. If you advertise your house as the IRON MAIDEN house when you sell it, you may have problems. If the copyright holder can reasonably claim that their intellectual property is being misappropriated

Regarding fonts- it's one of the biggest places where copyright holders get the shaft. Fonts aren't, for the most part, "public property". You have to pay for them, and when you do you are paying a licensing fee to use them in a specific way. There would be one fee, for example, for buying a font and using it on your party invitation. Were you to take the same font and use it in your commercial logo, that would be a different use, and a different fee. You can also buy things for "one offs".

Because of the ease of electronic transfer now, fonts get stolen all the time, people use them in magazines or in design work, etc. It is INCUMBENT UPON THE OWNER OF THE COPYRIGHT TO ENFORCE THEIR CLAIM ZEALOUSLY. If they do not do so, they risk losing the enforceability of that copyright entirely.

If, for example, some small guitar maker started ripping off Mike's designs, and Mike didn't deal with it by a) stopping them (cease & desist) b)documenting permission if he's a nice guy or c) charging them a fee, in the future a HUGE guitar builder could come in and start re-producing them as well, and it would be much harder for Mike to enforce his copyright claim.

So when someone breaks the "little guys" balls over copyright protection, realize that it isn't about YOU. If they don't enforce their claims, they leave themselves open to other, bigger vultures coming in and appropriating their work.

Also- there's a big gap here that needs to be covered by "integrity". Mike could probably rip off 100 artists, get bagged for 5 violations, and still make a big profit. Chances are he would get away with alot more than he got busted for- happens all the time. Artists in general and as a community have a code of ethics that basically states that people who rip off others hoping not to get caught, or by making ticky tacky changes that would make it expensive for a copyright holder to force a claim (court costs), are shitheels & nobody wants to work with them besides other shitheels. As important as artistic ability is, integrity is also important. Just because Mike can reproduce anything he lays his eyes on, just because he has the technical ability, his judgement and integrity will and should prevent him from doing so.

Vass
                        Last edited by Vass; 03-15-2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X