Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advise on a Floyd for a RR3 Pro

Peace guys

Wanted to ask you experienced Jackson pros which Floyd is best for a RR3 Pro., his is for a friends black RR3 pro who wants to put gold hardware on it.

I found 2 people selling a R42 and R43, but i have no clue which would do the job or even if they are compatible.

can anyone advise here.

Thanks in advance

The nut on the RR3 is 43mm wide (1 11/16").
    If you're putting a real Floyd on it, use an R3 or R4 nut. Both are 1 11/16" wide.
    R3 = narrow string spacing
    R4 = wider string spacing
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      The nut on the RR3 is 43mm wide (1 11/16").
      If you're putting a real Floyd on it, use an R3 or R4 nut. Both are 1 11/16" wide.
      R3 = narrow string spacing
      R4 = wider string spacing
      Thanks for the post, very cool of you.

What you think of this one?
      Link to the item on ebay

Last edited by Gabriel Raphael; 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Is that an actually Schaller? Looks like a cheap knock off due to the lack of a logo and the apparently built in knife edges.

Comment

Ahh... stay away from rear mount nuts.
          You have to drill holes completely through the neck to install them.
          Get a top mount.

Whatever you get, make sure it's 43mm wide.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            Is that an actually Schaller? Looks like a cheap knock off due to the lack of a logo and the apparently built in knife edges.
            I don't know myself enough to reply to your comment, i would only ask you which system you would recommend to replace a Jackson Floyd Rose Licensed Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo

Comment

It's a crappy pot metal knock off, not a Schaller.
              Run away from it. You would be downgrading using this trem.

Go to http://www.warmoth.com and get a real Floyd or Schaller trem.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                It's a crappy pot metal knock off, not a Schaller.
                Run away from it. You would be downgrading using this trem.

Go to http://www.warmoth.com and get a real Floyd or Schaller trem.
                Thanks Rick, very cool., which trem would you get for this guitar then to replace the Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo..
                Last edited by Gabriel Raphael; 03-21-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

An original Floyd Rose will drop right into a JT-580LP route. You don't even have to replace the stud posts... unless you want to change the color of course, but the 580 studs are spaced to match a Floyd.
                  You will have a little bit of space on the sides, but it will clear the string lock bolts.
                  It will look something like this.

This is a real Floyd in a JT-580LP route.
                  A Schaller would get lost in there.
                  But it would fit as well.
                  -Rick

Comment

Do investigate the Gotoh Floyd too. They have gotten rave reviews from users, and a few major manufacturers have recently switched from OFR to the Gotoh. Apparently some people think the quality of the OFR isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Good point Sunbane... I almost forgot about Gotoh's.
                      Not sure how they fit in a JT-580LP route though, but I suspect it will be OK.
                      -Rick

Comment

I found this really cool site guitarpartssource.com
                        They have this whole page of all the types of FLoyds.

I am convinced that the one on the Jackson rr3s is a Schaller from the bars with the roll on screws., could be wrong but i am hearing this from several people now.
                        But the one on this site includes a R2 locking nut,

Details: SB-0290-002 Schaller Floyd Rose® double locking tremolo system. Gold finish. The Original Floyd Rose tremolo with hardened steel parts. Includes R2 model 1-5/8" locking nut, bar string guide, mounting hardware, allen keys, and tremolo arm. Stud spacing is 74mm(2-29/32"). Made in Germany.
                        $289.79

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Raphael View Post
                          I found this really cool site guitarpartssource.com
                          They have this whole page of all the types of FLoyds.

I am convinced that the one on the Jackson rr3s is a Schaller from the bars with the roll on screws., could be wrong but i am hearing this from several people now.
                          But the one on this site includes a R2 locking nut,
                          There are a TON of Schaller knock offs.

The one pictured below from your other post is a knock off.

No logo and the fine tuners are the same color as the rest of the trem.
                          Schallers all have black fine tuners regardless of the trems color.

If it doesn't have "Made in Germany" stamped on it by the trem arm collar, it's not a Schaller. And a true Schaller will have their logo on it as well.

One exception are the Jackson/Charvel branded Schaller trems.
                          The JT-590 in particular IS a Schaller. It Says Jackson or Charvel, but still has the "Made in Germany" stamp on it.

The RR3 comes stock with a JT-580LP which is most likely made by Takeuchi. Good trems.

If you want to use a Schaller, get one from Warmoth... much cheaper and you pick the nut size when ordering.
                          Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-22-2008, 08:44 AM.
                          -Rick

Comment

Hi Rik

First off thanks for your posts, you have been very help full about this man,

I emailed Warmoth and they said that they only have original Schallers and Floyds, i know you told me this in your previous post so i just wanted to ask you if a original as is Schaller will do the job?

thanks again, especially for the pict you posted., if i could get the right one that fits it would be great.

Comment

The real deal Schallers are just as good as an original OFR.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X