I'm very disheartened now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very disheartened now...

After much thought, I had decided to start planning out a custom Jackson in preparation for ordering one. However, after reading quite a few threads here, I'm concerned about the possible wait time and potential QC issues.

When I ordered custom Jacksons in the past (mid-late 80s), I waited 6-12 months typically. I can see waiting a year for a custom guitar but 2 yrs? Eh, that's crazy. I've waited 6 months to get guitars custom refinished so a year for a complete custom guitar is about what I'm willing to wait.

As far as QC goes, I don't want to spend $3000+ on a custom guitar and have problems with it. Period. Do I expect to have to get it set-up? Absolutely but that's about it.

I'm not looking for anything too extravagant, just a Dinky bolt-on w/2H, maple fingerboard, OFR, rev headstock painted same as body and either custom graphics or a nice Bengal tiger finish, preferably an orange to white gradient. I can almost find what I want in stock at dealers on-line but not quite. I don't want a tone control and, in the case of Charvel, I don't want a non-recessed Floyd or a Strat headstock (don't want the truss rod nut at the heel).

Anyway, are my fears legitimate or not? Please advise.

If you go through a dealer who has regular dealings with the custom shop, and you keep bugging the dealer to get regular updates, pictures and so on, you should be OK.

Are there problems? Yes, definitely. Do we hear / remember more about the problems than the 'non event' custom orders which go through smoothly? Probably.

From my own experience having ordered 4 custom guitars from J/C, the dealer(s) and the CS will make sure you get what you want. In the end. Even if it has to be built 2 or 3 times...
    Last edited by neilli; 03-22-2008, 11:58 AM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      ....and the CS will make sure you get what you want. In the end. Even if it has to be built 2 or 3 times...
      That's reassuring.

Please note that I do understand that everyone puts out a lemon now and again. Of the 6 or so San Dimas Charvels/Pre-Fender Jacksons I had, one of them did have a bad neck but at least it was an off-the-shelf one and not a custom order.

Comment

You could always do a project guitar on your own. I recall from another thread that if you find a Jackson with a TOM, it will have the right neck angle to be fitted for a non-recessed Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          You could always do a project guitar on your own. I recall from another thread that if you find a Jackson with a TOM, it will have the right neck angle to be fitted for a non-recessed Floyd.
          Believe me, I thought about that but I'm a bit burnt out on project guitars at this point. I just want to pay for it, get it and play it. I don't want to order parts from here and there, send it off to get refinished and wait for it to get done. It's almost worst to get all the parts then wait for it to be completed.

Comment

Well, if you wait until you are no longer burned out, then order all the parts, then send it off to be refinished...you will still have it quicker than a CS.

Comment

Well, if you wait until you are no longer burned out, then order all the parts, then send it off to be refinished...you will still have it quicker than a CS.
              Maybe but probably not. I'm at the age where I have more patience but less time so I just want to sit down and play. I used to do all my own guitar maintenance work (pickup changes and set-ups) but now it's cheaper for me to pay someone else to do it. My free time is precious.

Comment

Hey if you haven't seen this thread, this guitar meets all of your requirements except for the non-recessed OFR.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80625

EDIT : Well, it's also an H-S and not a H-H
                Last edited by Axewielder; 03-22-2008, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Hey if you haven't seen this thread, this guitar meets all of your requirements except for the non-recessed OFR.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80625

EDIT : Well, it's also an H-S and not a H-H
                  Thank you for bringing that up and yes, I have seen it. I've been checking eBay 2-3 times per day for Charvels and Jacksons.

It's looks pretty sweet but the gold hardware would have to go. I'd be looking at a couple hundred on top of whatever it goes for in the end. I could live with the neck single coil. I'd just end up replacing it with a rail HB SC of some sort. Heck, I might even replace the bridge pickup (I've got a penchant for Dimarzio Tone Zones).

Comment

You could probably find someone who'd swap you chrome or black hardware for the gold on that guitar. Or you could sell it with little problem I'm sure....
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                      You could probably find someone who'd swap you chrome or black hardware for the gold on that guitar. Or you could sell it with little problem I'm sure....
                      I hear ya. I'm not worried about that. A set of black reverse Gotohs are about $25-$30 and a black OFR is around $180 or so.

I really do like how the matching headstock. I'm a real stickler for that detail.

Comment

I seriously doubt the CS wait time is 2 years currently.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I just need to nail down the finish so I can get a quote to get the ball in play.

For what it's worth, here's where I'm at with the graphics so far. I'm looking to do some a bit darker both in color and in theme compared to my other guitars.

It's a base of Multicam camouflage with light black/dark grey tiger stripes over the top. The head stock would be painted to match as well. The inlays are Iron Cross and there will be black binding on the neck and head stock. I've still got a lot of variations to try out and I'll need some type of graphic for the back.

My only concern about this finish is that it ends up feeling like George Lynch meets Zakk Wylde to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                            My only concern about this finish is that it ends up feeling like George Lynch meets Zakk Wylde to me.
                            I would take your time with the finish, I mean if you have doubts about it now it might not be the greatest idea to go through with it, just wait it out, wait for some inspiration or idea to conjure up and then you can get this guitar put in order.

But I almost laughed when you said 6-12 months to wait for a guitar, that is just crazy in my eyes, let alone 2 years. But I'm an impatient son of a gun so don't mind me

Comment

Originally posted by Downfall View Post
                              I would take your time with the finish, I mean if you have doubts about it now it might not be the greatest idea to go through with it, just wait it out, wait for some inspiration or idea to conjure up and then you can get this guitar put in order.
                              I planned on taking my time planning out the finish. As I said, I've done this before and until I have something I absolutely love, I'm not pulling the trigger. I know how the game goes, I've played it before.

Comment

Working...
                              X