No announcement yet.

A lot of people here will enjoy this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne was a bit digruntled that FMIC never hired him on as a consultant when they first bought. I did find Wayne to be a personable guy. Grover on the other hand acted very gruff and grumpy.

Do I believe Wayne? I don't have an opinion either way, I wasn't there when they made the deal on the company .. only Grover and Wayne the real truth
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Just in my personal dealings with those who have made something of themselves, and some who were left behind...I agree Wayne may be a nice guy and all, but zero business savvy. And to ask Grover about someone like that? Well, it would be a touchy subject.
      Grover did what he knew how to do, and Wayne (by his own admission) was in over his head. Grover could have easily just buried the Charvel name, and still owned rights to the brand name. But he didn't, and the Wayne spirit is still alive under the Jackson name, as the upstart, different one. I don't know either one, but I have seen it in other realms.
      As far as Grover describing Wayne's work ethic...it fits. Most of the time these kinds of things don't come out in interviews. I was suprised to see it. My impression is that Grover knew a lot more about how to market a guitar than make one. But, he let the builders build, and did the biz part.

Comment

I never said i asked Grover about that.. i said, he was a very gruff, grumpy dude. There's 2 sides to every story so there is no way to fully know what the deal is.

In other words... Did I believe Wayne when he said that grover never paid him? I didn't form an opinion either way ... without being there it's all speculation ...
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
          Wayne was a bit digruntled that FMIC never hired him on as a consultant when they first bought. I did find Wayne to be a personable guy. Grover on the other hand acted very gruff and grumpy.
          Interesting, when I met Grover last year he was very personable. He signed autographs, took pictures and told stories. He has a ton of them. He seemed like a pretty happy guy.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Did Eddie really paint the original B/W white then use electrical tape as the stripes? Or paint it black. Then tape it off with electrical tape. Then paint it white? Im confused
            Ive never seen frankie up close. BUt from what i can tell. Ive never seen edges like tape to the black lines on the B/W. Plus if ya look at the wear patterns on it. Theres white inder the red, and black under the white. And wood under the black. Or am i just being to anal?.. lol
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
              Interesting, when I met Grover last year he was very personable. He signed autographs, took pictures and told stories. He has a ton of them. He seemed like a pretty happy guy.

yup, he was representing a product

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                Did Eddie really paint the original B/W white then use electrical tape as the stripes? Or paint it black. Then tape it off with electrical tape. Then paint it white? Im confused
                Ive never seen frankie up close. BUt from what i can tell. Ive never seen edges like tape to the black lines on the B/W. Plus if ya look at the wear patterns on it. Theres white inder the red, and black under the white. And wood under the black. Or am i just being to anal?.. lol
                Gil
                I have had some Japanese articles translated that did in depth reviews of EVH's guitars. The Black and White striped guitar did start out as black, was taped and painted white. The thin black stripes were just taped on after. So, the thick black stripes are painted and the thin black stripes are tape. I used to build these until I recieved the "Cease and Desist" letter. Check out www.dobermanguitars.com.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                  I have had some Japanese articles translated that did in depth reviews of EVH's guitars. The Black and White striped guitar did start out as black, was taped and painted white. The thin black stripes were just taped on after. So, the thick black stripes are painted and the thin black stripes are tape. I used to build these until I recieved the "Cease and Desist" letter. Check out www.dobermanguitars.com.

What the hell?!? Those are insane, but I love them. Never seen a fretboard over a pickup like that.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    http://www.dobermanguitars.com/Doberman-Vine-1.htm

What the hell?!? Those are insane, but I love them. Never seen a fretboard over a pickup like that.
                    Thanks Toejam.
                    Yeah, the pickup under the fretboard actually works pretty well. I have to admit I stole the idea from Uli Jon Roth (all of us old guys know him as the early Scorpions guitarist). He has his Sky Guitar which has 36 fret - I believe it goes in whole tones after the 27th fret. Anyone wanting to hear a shredder that has unbelievable chops and extreme emotional playing might want to check him out.

Comment

Ah, cool. I remember the Sky Guitar. I'm an old guy, too (35).
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey, thanks for posting that. That was really interesting.
                        I had to read it in segments yesterday since I was at work, but it was pretty fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post

Cool thanks for the info. Thats what i had always heard. And that the pinstripes were taped on after it was cleared.
                          Gil

Comment

Very cool write-up. Pretty much confirms everything I ever thought about Wayne Charvel. Grover summed it up perfectly:

"As for Wayne and his efforts to take credit for things he was never involved in…like guitars on his website that are copies of guitars I made five and six years after he was gone somehow trying to suggest that he had anything to do with them…wow, that’s sad."

Without Grover Jackson, Charvel Manufacturing would have gone bankrupt or been sued into bankruptcy. The only thing Wayne accomplished was farming out some metal parts for someone else to build so he could sell them mail-order. As Grover said, the damn routers had never been used before he got there.

Still today we have Wanye and Michael Charvel trying to take credit for everything Grover accomplished and for EVH's guitars, it's sad.

Comment

It is sad when you see Model 1's in the Wayne Charvel book, and it's implied they are part of Wayne's legacy.

Comment

How about that part in the article where Wayne talks $hit about Grover making EVH copy guitars? Hey Wayne ! Just WTF did you start making when you first started up your Wayne line of guitars??? LOTS of black & yellow EVH copy guitars.

Comment

Working...
                                X