HELP!!! Rhoads LTD Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Rhoads LTD Questions

ok, i've been wanting to acquire a 1992 rhoads ltd lately, and i've been wondering what those go for these days. i know they were about 2k brand new in 92.

1.i'd also like to know what you owners feel about them. like how they play, feel, and sound.

2.also, is it hard to reach past the 15th fret because of how the shoulders meet the neck?

3.And where is the best to find one for a cheap price?

4.If it were damaged a tad, would that drop the price of it? (if i buy a damaged one, will it cost less is what i'm thinking of doing)

Hope i can find one
    sigpic

I love mine. I don't play it enough to remember having any access problems.

I see them listed on e-bay from time to time for over $4k, but they don't seem to be selling at that price right now. They have in the past and probably will again. I am sure a damaged one would be cheaper, because that impacts the value on just about any guitar.

If you buy one and don't like it you should be able to sell it for around what you paid for it (assuming you don't go crazy). So there isn't a lot of risk involved.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbug View Post
      I love mine. I don't play it enough to remember having any access problems.

I see them listed on e-bay from time to time for over $4k, but they don't seem to be selling at that price right now. They have in the past and probably will again. I am sure a damaged one would be cheaper, because that impacts the value on just about any guitar.

If you buy one and don't like it you should be able to sell it for around what you paid for it (assuming you don't go crazy). So there isn't a lot of risk involved.

Good luck in your search.
      over 4k, wow. that is still out of my league. wouldn' the prices be slightly lower due to the fact that the 25th anniversary model was released two years ago?
      sigpic

Comment

i saw one back in april or may of 2007 which sold on ebay for $1500, and was relatively clean. do you see these prices anywhere else?
        Last edited by randyrhoadsguitar; 03-23-2008, 01:56 PM. Reason: mistake
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randyrhoadsguitar View Post
          ok, i've been wanting to acquire a 1992 rhoads ltd lately, and i've been wondering what those go for these days. i know they were about 2k brand new in 92.

1.i'd also like to know what you owners feel about them. like how they play, feel, and sound.

2.also, is it hard to reach past the 15th fret because of how the shoulders meet the neck?

4.If it were damaged a tad, would that drop the price of it? (if i buy a damaged one, will it cost less is what i'm thinking of doing)

Hope i can find one

Mine plays and sounds great. I don't take it out as much anymore but when I do it feels and plays incredibly.

I can't speak for someone with different hands then mine, but I have no issues at all accessing any place on the fretboard.

I don't think you'll find one at a "cheap" price.

Depends on the damage. I would imagine it would have to been pretty abused to bring down the price a whole lot.

I wouldn't part with mine for less then $1,000,000. The guitar is not worth that much obviously, but it's a guitar that holds a lot of meaning for me. I think a lot of the people who bought them feel the same way. Dunno

Good lucky finding one, mine was worth every dollar.
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
            Mine plays and sounds great. I don't take it out as much anymore but when I do it feels and plays incredibly.

I can't speak for someone with different hands then mine, but I have no issues at all accessing any place on the fretboard.

I don't think you'll find one at a "cheap" price.

Depends on the damage. I would imagine it would have to been pretty abused to bring down the price a whole lot.

I wouldn't part with mine for less then $1,000,000. The guitar is not worth that much obviously, but it's a guitar that holds a lot of meaning for me. I think a lot of the people who bought them feel the same way. Dunno

Good lucky finding one, mine was worth every dollar.
            thanks. dang, it seems it is going to be harder than i thought to find one. another question for everyone (if you don't mind answering).

--When, where, and for how much did you buy your ltd for? you don't have to answer every part of it if you feel uncomfortable, i just want a relative foundation to start from.
            sigpic

Comment

thanks. dang, it seems it is going to be harder than i thought to find one. another question for everyone (if you don't mind answering).

--When, where, and for how much did you buy your ltd for? you don't have to answer every part of it if you feel uncomfortable, i just want a relative foundation to start from.

Guitar Center in I guess San Jose Ca, it was there or Campbell.. I got it in 1992 and spent 2,200 for it, seems like I spent 200 too much but the only other place that had one was this local place in Dublin, Ca (it was one of them with the v style bridge which I still hate) for 2500 so I went for the one with the bridge I liked that was cheaper..

They had one other RR on the wall that I really liked, it was a rear route and had this cool custom graphic of a desert with an eguana(however you spell that big lizards name) on it. That always stood out to me because the only guitars I had seen in person with graphics at the time were Kramers. Not really relavent to the discussion but a memory it sparked. Ah the almost good old days when GC actually carried US Jacksons
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Hope i can find one

1. they're great guitars. so much so that when i sold the one i had, i happily bought it back years later. regret selling? hell yes. you can hear how mine sounds in this video. while the guitars change, the guitar tracks were recorded with my ltd.

2. i have no issues reaching anywhere on the neck past the 15th fret. it take a bit of adjusting, but i think i'm in the minority because i play mine a lot and always had. a few hours with it, and i was fine.

3. you're not going to find one cheap. the people that have them know what they have, so you're most likely not going to find a seller that doesn't know its value. 3-3500 is usually what they sell for.

4. damage decreases any guitar's value. however, once they get rare enough, some wear and damage isn't as much of a factor because of its rarity. when i bought mine back, it was a victim of DHL, and had a snapped headstock. i got it fixed and i don't give a damn if the selling value has decreased because i'll never sell it again.

dude, these are not that hard to find. they usually pop up on ebay, but it's also not like you're going to get one for $800.

i bought mine new in 1992 from park avenue music in lombard, il for a total of 2157.40 (2 grand for the guitar, 136.42 in tax, and 20.98 for six sets of strings). that said, i wouldn't base a 16 year old selling price as what you can expect to pay. check completed ebay auctions to get a feel, too.

good luck in your search, but don't expect to find one at a bargain basement rate.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

thanks sully. this official vintage guitar book say that they are worth around $1400 as of 2005: http://books.google.com/books?id=LxV...gjeubWW4&hl=en

scroll a tiny bit down to rhoads limited edition.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah, i had one of those blue books once. the challenge is that the market says otherwise.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The book price on limited edition/custom guitars is HIGHLY subjective.
                      A guitar is worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it.

Even production guitars that are no longer made can get crazy prices.
                      It's all about demand.
                      Look at import Charvels... they are pulling in nearly twice as much as they were 2 years ago.
                      -Rick

Comment

alright. so what are pcs's pulling these days?
                        sigpic

Comment

from what i vaguely recall, in the low 2grands....

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                            from what i vaguely recall, in the low 2grands....

sully
                            not bad prices. do you guys mind me asking how you afford these expensive guitars?
                            sigpic

Comment

personally, i sell crack to school children.
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X