Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between active and non active pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between active and non active pickups?

Hi I am wondering what is the difference between active pickups and non
    active pickups on a charvel jackson guitar? I have a model 4 with active
    pickups and I would like to buy a model 3 or 2 and I am sure they don't
    have active pickups in them. What is the difference in sound between
    active and non active? And also what is the top of the line charvel jackson guitar? San Dimas version? Thanks Nickster

read this

Comment

AFAIK the C/J guitars did not have active pickups but instead various onboard preamps.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
        AFAIK the C/J guitars did not have active pickups but instead various onboard preamps.
        Correct, Jackson never made active pickups.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thank god for that. For a second, I thought that link might be Seegermany's poo thread!
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

But I have a Jackson fitted with the Reflex pickups system. Aren't they active?
            http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

Yes Reflex and EMG pups are active. But they were not made by Jackson. Reflex pickups were made in England. Jackson used them in the Pro series for a cpl of years as an option instead of the passive Jackson pups. And we all p[retty much now what EMGs are so i wont even go there.
              Just cus there's a battery in your guitar and 1 or 2 or even all 3 pups may be covered. It doesnt mean they are active pickups. JAckson used # differant preamps that they made. The JE100, the JE1200, and the JE1500. IIRC on those model numbers. Typically Active pickups are a low impedance signal and need some sort of boost to get them to the proper level. Thus the battery. No pickup with the Jackson or Charvel logo on it. Are active.
              Gil

Comment

So basically, active pickups are weak passive pickups with a preamp/EQ built-in?
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                  So basically, active pickups are weak passive pickups with a preamp/EQ built-in?
                  That's a good way of explaining it, yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X