Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1 A's

Hi people. My first post.
    So, I'll get right to it. I just picked up a white Charvel, reverse pointy black headstock, 3 single coils in almost perfect condition on ebay.
    My question is, what am I to expect sound wise.
    I used to own a midnght Blue 1987 Model 4, but had the active humbucker with the 2 single coils. It had a nice metal sound to it.

I'm guessing this will be more akin to a strat sound???

Not that that's bad..just different. If I don't like the sound, what are some suggestions for a new single coil ht rodded pickup with a little more balls?

I have been out of the guitar world for a long time. I went back to collecting and playing vintage drums for 10 years, but now I have the itch for some guitar playing again.
    BTW..I will be running this out of an Orange OR30 vintage head, with 2..2 x12 orangs cabs. pretty much dry.....with a boss dd5 delay.
    Thanks...here's a link. I may have paid a little too much , but I like the look of this thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
    Last edited by 9Lb Tongue; 04-18-2008, 02:39 PM.

Expect it to suck sound wise

Honestly, I have no idea, but my 1996 MIM Strat is a closet queen. Great guitar but I'm a metal head.

My first guitar when I was a newbie was a strat style (even worse because the pickups were really low output). I've learned from my mistakes. You can go the hotrails route, or an YJM HS3 type of setup. Duncan has JB jr, lil' Screamin Demon, lil' 59, the choices are endless.

Since you already have a model 4, I'd say try to enjoy this axe the way it came. I really prefer keeping my axes OEM original, and typically only upgrade if I have overlap or I'm looking for something really different.

Good luck with it, it's a sweet looking axe. Looks like a classic (like an old strat) even though it isn't really.

Price wise, maybe a little too much, but a reverse headstock maple pointy is somewhat rare, so if that's you thing, I think you did good by nabbing it.

Comment

A model 1A dosen't a reverse headstock.so we know its not original
      The J-100 singles have more balls than standard strat pickups so IMO they do metal quite well.I put an RS upgrade kit in the one I had with 500k pots and it smoked.
      Last edited by straycat; 04-17-2008, 05:42 PM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Lb Tongue View Post
        Hi people. My first post.
        So, I'll get right to it. I just picked up a white Charvel, reverse pointy black headstock, 3 single coils in almost perfect condition on ebay.
        My question is, what am I to expect sound wise.
        I used to own a midnght Blue 1987 Model 4, but had the active humbucker with the 2 single coils. It had a nice metal sound to it.

I'm guessing this will be more akin to a strat sound???

Not that that's bad..just different. If I don't like the sound, what are some suggestions for a new single coil ht rodded pickup with a little more balls?

I have been out of the guitar world for a long time. I went back to collecting and playing vintage drums for 10 years, but now I have the itch for some guitar playing again.
        BTW..I will be running this out of an Orange OR30 vintage head, with 2..2 x12 orangs cabs. pretty much dry.....with a boss dd5 delay.
        Thanks...here's a link. I may have paid too much , but I like the look of this thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

275 too much? Unless I'm missing something I'd say that's a decent price. I'm sorry I didn't see it first
        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

FYI:
          1) The Model 4 does not have an active pickup. It's a passive pickup with an on-board preamp circuit.
          2) If you have a reverse headstock on your Model 1A then you actually have a mutt. The Model 1 and variants (meaning 1A and 1C - 1B is the bass) have a regular headstock with a maple fretboard.

As far as the guitar's sound, it's all subjective. The best advice I can give you is when you obtain it, play it for a while and then see what you want/can change. What sounds good to one person may sound like a gnat buzzing in someone else's ear.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

I actualy like the reverse head on it.Gives it a bit of attiude.1A's are nice guitars.
            Looks like it has graphtech saddles in the pics that should deaden the tone quite a bit. In this case he was wanting a "metal" tone.
            Last edited by straycat; 04-17-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

If ya dont like the way it sounds pup wise. Just change the pups and the pickgaurd if necassary. It odes have the right series logo. But i dont recall ever seeing a maple board with a reverse head and that logo. I could be wrong. But the 1a had forward head as did the 4M. And the 3DR had a rosewood board. So im confused. maybe the neck is somethign else with a charvel logo?
              Gil

Comment

Could be JF I do know for a fact the model 88's were the first import Charvel with the reverse headstock.This is according to J/C.

Comment

Model 7 neck most likely.
                  -Rick

Comment

Yeah, Model 7 neck. And if you don't like the strat style pickups, it should be pool routed under the guard, so adding hums is pretty easy.

Comment

+1

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.
                        I'm not really looking for a "metal" sound in particular. Just something with a little beef to it. I'm not too worried about the mutt thing either.
                        The seller seems legit and honest, so I'll ask him about the neck.
                        I like the reverse look it has too. Gives it a bit of "tude"....

Comment

Cool guitar, a mutt but not in terms of the basic parts (just a leftly neck used on the 7), 1a's came with a maple board so the sound will be as intended by Charvel. I think it looks killer, I'd have grabbed it.
                          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Ah yeah why do i keep forgettin about the model 7? Must be my age.

Comment

Not a lefty neck because the logo is standard issue.Cool as hell anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X