Hey everybody, I need some advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everybody, I need some advice!

Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum, and I need a bit of help concerning the value of a Jackson/Charvel I purchased not long ago.

I think I've come to the right place

First let me say that, though I'm American, I've lived in England for over 6 years now. . . That makes valuation a bit difficult, but any help in the general area will be very much appreciated!

I bought a CX692 off this kiddie for £80 - it was in terrible condition.

I've since (here goes. . .): Replaced the bushings on the machine heads (one was missing, so I had to buy 6 to replace it :/ ), replaced the nut clamps (all 3 were gone), straightened the neck, gave it a fret job, properly cleaned the fretboard, cleaned the body, replaced all the electronics - except the pups - disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the trem, replaced the whammy, replaced strap buttons, screws, the trem posts, the v/t knobs, the backplate (pain in the ass to find one), filled in some cracks with plastic wood, and have given it a decent setup. . .

Now, here's the issue:

One of my guitar students wants to buy it, and before I did all that work, I quoted him at £150. . . I was wondering if that was too cheap?

I've recently been a member of thefret.net, but to be honest - it's a really decent forum - just chop full of old people who only play strats and teles. . . No one can give me any advice on this. One of the members, a Reverend Rawk (in case he's a member here, I know he used to own a Charvel model 7), referred me to this site.

Can anyone give me a bit of help on this one?

Cheers, y'all!

I forgot to say that its serial number is 005476 - to my understanding, that is a fairly desirable numbered neck plate to have. . .

Comment

I also have a CPU who's CD drive just keeps opening for no reason - it's really really annoying, does anyone know why it keeps doing that? I close it, it opens, I close it. . . it waits. . . it opens. . . <<pulls hair out>>

Comment

It's hungry

As I understand it, the Charvel CX692 came out at the tail end of the Charvel line, and was a bit of an experimental model to try to rejuvenate the line before they dropped it completely.

As for the work you've put into it and the cost - one thing you'll learn if you hang around the Charvel/Jackson crowd is that no matter how much expense and time you put into it, you did it all for free

150GPB would be a good price, especially if it has cracks in the body. Filled or not, cracks is cracks.

As well, since you state the work was done after the offer of sale was made, then it's all on your tab. You might be able to get a bit more out of it for the replacement parts, but they guy may decide to go with a Mexican Strat instead for nearly the same price (those things are like fleas - everywhere in the billions).
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey man, thanks for the reply. You tell it like it is, fair enough!

I guess the work is all good practice - my first fret job, best solder-work, etc. . .

Not many people get paid for their first time in that respect, I guess. Good thing it's going to a kid who will most definitely have a better guitar by the time he realizes my first time probably wasn't so good. . . Well - it ain't bad otherwise I wouldn't sell it to him, but put it this way - if I didn't sell it to him, I wouldn't try and sell it to anyone else.

Cheers, dude!

Oh, and nevermind about the CD drive . . . I've ducktaped it shut. The little punk.
          Last edited by thearabianmage; 05-28-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I was going to suggest some duct tape, but you figured it out already!

Comment

Hey man, pardon le Francois, but if you can't duck it, fuck it.

Comment

Originally posted by thearabianmage View Post
                Hey man, pardon le Francois, but if you can't duck it, fuck it.
                Did you try fixing the ejaculation button on it?

Comment

No, I just kept ramming it in until I got tired. . .

Comment

:ROTF:
                    Well, that's part of the problem.
                    How many children do you have, btw...?

Comment

That took two minutes....
                      2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                      2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                      2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                      2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                      2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                      2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                      2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                      2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                      2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                      1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                      1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Working...
                      X