Jackson pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson pickup question

Hey guys, I'm trying to get rid of a couple of old Jackson pickups that I have and I need some clarification. I have a J-80C and a J-50B. They both came out of my USA Dinky from the late 80s. I just can't remember for sure which one was in the bridge and which one was in the neck position. I've already got a guy asking me, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

The J-50B was used in the bridge-position; the J-80C in the neck-position !
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
      The J-50B was used in the bridge-position; the J-80C in the neck-position !
      Errr...no. The J-80C is way hotter than the J-50B, so it's highly likely the J-80C sat in the bridge position.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Errr...no. The J-80C is way hotter than the J-50B, so it's highly likely the J-80C sat in the bridge position.
        True, but why didn't they put J50N in the neck then? J80c is waay to hot for the neck though, I had it for awhile in the neck position, but moved to the bridge now...and it rocks! My favorite Jackson pickup right after J50BC!

Comment

Ceramic pickups were almost always in the bridge.Hotter in the bridge is the rule.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Both of those pickups would be recommended for bridge, but like all recomendations, you can experiment anyway you want. Most likely the J50B was in the neck and the J80C was at the bridge. It's like the Seymour Duncan JB, it was built as a bridge pickup, but a lot of players find it equally at home in the neck position...
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              Well, the J-50B was used (and described by Jackson) as a bridge-pickup, and for example the 94/95 Dinky Prof. had the J-80C in the neck position (along with a J-85 at the bridge). But I agree, that the hotter pickup would (normally) be in the bridge-position; that said, a high-output pickup in the neck-position can make sense ! (Charvel Model 5: two J-80Cs)
              uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Jackson/Charvel were no strangers to use pickups they themselves called "bridge pickups" and use them in the neck position. A spot-on example in this case, is the Charvel 750XL. It came stock with a J-80C at the bridge and a J-50B at the neck (although I think they changed it to dual J-80Cs at some point).

Comment

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me!!! I'm pretty sure I had the J-80C in the bridge and the J-50B in the neck position. I'll go with that.
                  Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                  www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                    Both of those pickups would be recommended for bridge, but like all recomendations, you can experiment anyway you want. Most likely the J50B was in the neck and the J80C was at the bridge. It's like the Seymour Duncan JB, it was built as a bridge pickup, but a lot of players find it equally at home in the neck position...
                    exactly. just because it was meant to be a bridge pu, there is no stopping to put it in the neck. it all comes done to the sound.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X