EMG's in my KV2 with 100k pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's in my KV2 with 100k pots?

Its time to EMG out my KV2, i have a set of EMG81's that i want to put in it , but i bought them used with out the pots. I have and active output jack , and a set of 100K pots, my question is can i use the 100K pots with my EMG's ?? and if so what difference would it make ??

I think you need 25K pots for EMG's.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

25 K pots....

I know because my KV2 had EMG's in it, and I removed them.

What are you going to do with your CTS pots? Will you sell them to me? I could use 2 of them..

Comment

EMGs use 25k pots. Not sure if you can use them with 100k. The Duncan Mustaine Livewires are the only active pickups I know of that have used 100k pots.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yea thats why i ask , because mustaine livewires use 100K pots, so i wonder if they will work with the EMG's . I need to be certain though before i install for sure.

Comment

They will probably work, but I'm not sure what the difference will be. Maybe email Rick at EMG and see what he says.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
              25 K pots....

I know because my KV2 had EMG's in it, and I removed them.

What are you going to do with your CTS pots? Will you sell them to me? I could use 2 of them..

That should have been a PM. You can't ask those questions outside the Classifieds
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The 100K's will work, but it would be like "no control" for 3/4's of the turn, then the control would start working for the last 1/4 turn.

In other words, from 100K to 25K of resistance, you would notice little if any change in volume. Probably just harshness and high end going down. Then from 25K to zero it would act like a normal EMG volume.

Comment

Don't mess around, just use the 25K pots.

Comment

get 25 k pots and use the 18v mod. The 18v mod sounds wayyy better than 9 v.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

That should have been a PM. You can't ask those questions outside the Classifieds
                      opps

Comment

The 100K work and change the sound just a BIT. But you don't get much volume control out of them that way.
                        Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Eggs ackley.IMO the 100 k pots tend to make the EMGs more prone to squealing.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                            get 25 k pots and use the 18v mod. The 18v mod sounds wayyy better than 9 v.
                            I'm assuming you can do this with Blackouts also?

It's interesting to read this becaue before active pickups I would sometimes use the gain on my amp on 10, paired with a fuzz pedal with the fuzz turned all the way up. It was awesome; fuzzy, LOTS of feedback, dirty, noisy, gnarly. With actives when I try to do that it just clips out and you can't really get any distinction at all. If I do the 18v mod that might take care of the clipping?

Comment

I would check with Seymour Duncan before trying to run AHB-1's at 18 volts. I don't know if they would respond to it like EMG's as they have a different amplifier structure. You may want to check out the AHB-2 Blackouts if the AHB-1 doesn't have enough gain for you. They have a jumper that lets you go from hot to stupid.

As far as I know they are still a 9 volt pickup as well.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ackouts_metal/
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X