No announcement yet.

EMG's in my KV2 with 100k pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nevermind I just found the answer to my own question. Taken from the sevenstring.org site:

"Originally Posted by Stitch
    'Frank Falbo, the DESIGNER of these pickups, has specifically said not to use them with 18V.'

WHOA Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not the designer of the Blackouts. They came from our Chief Engineer, Kevin Beller. He's the genius behind the Blackouts. And just to be clear, the Blackouts will not be harmed using 18-volts, but the preamp is designed to provide all of the awesomeness at 9-volts.

Also to add some perspective, none of our pro artists are running Blackouts on 18-volts, but some of them used to run their EMG's on 18.

Good dynamics on ya!"

After reading that it makes me want to do the mod and switch the EMG 81 and the Blackout with the quick connector cable to check it out.

Comment

What the 18v mod does to EMGs, is making them sound a little less compressed. They "respond" better to difference in attack IMO. You do not get any extra gain from 18v as opposed to 9v.

I wired up one of my old guitars as a test rig, so I could switch between 9v and 18v with a push-pull. The difference was not remarkable, but it was there; somehow the guitar felt more "alive" @ 18v.

Comment

How would one go about doing this 18V mod?

Comment

Originally posted by nikopapp View Post
          How would one go about doing this 18V mod?
          Just wiring two batteries in series. 9v + 9v = 18v.

Comment

Working...
          X