Jackson Endorsements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
    I would want more than 3 guitars. If you was a gun fighter you may only need 1 bullet but why take any chances? I would want at least 6 guitars, some with different tuning, definitely a Martin in the bunch and maybe a slide guitar
    if you were using up a guitar each time you played, your analogy might hold water. If you were a gunslinger, you'd still only need to two guns, right? Bullets are more analogous with strings, which are considerably cheaper than the instrument (or weapon) that is using them up.

I use two guitars when I play out. Usually the same two, although I occasionally mix it up and treat one of my other babies to a day out of the house. If I was endorsed and someone saw fit to give me a guitar or two, or even a great discount on a guitar or two, that would be more than enough for me to play out - one main guitar and one backup. I certainly wouldn't need a stream of guitars to keep me going. If I needed more, I still have my old Jacksons & Charvels that could be called into service.

I'm only playing in a cover band and while I require a bunch of different sounds, I couldn't imagine carting 6 guitars to a gig, especially not an expensive acoustic. Maybe if I had a truck, or if I ever get to the point that I have a crew hauling all my stuff about for me....
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Seef View Post
      I never really thought about that but I agree. I think to some people the extra money for the difference between a USA quality Jackson over Japanese Pro Series quality Jackson is worth it but for others who are tight for cash it's not worth it.

This is an interesting point. Here is another view. I am in a local Boston band and when I play out, I always leave the real charvels at home and instead use GMWs. Same basic look and feel, but without the headache of worrying about damage, theft etc.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        I use two guitars when I play out. Usually the same two, although I occasionally mix it up and treat one of my other babies to a day out of the house....
        I have played out with only one guitar because that is all I had and I had enough faith in it. but... (We are talking about Jackson endorsements though right?)
        If i was good enough for Jackson to endorse me I would probably have a name like Megadeth, Savatage or spitknot. Someone that everyone has heard of. That would mean playing in Europe, Japan and every where there were rockers. If that was the case and all I had was 2 guitars...they would never leave my sight.

Comment

I have played out with only one guitar because that is all I had and I had enough faith in it. but... (We are talking about Jackson endorsements though right?)
          If i was good enough for Jackson to endorse me I would probably have a name like Megadeth, Savatage or spitknot. Someone that everyone has heard of. That would mean playing in Europe, Japan and every where there were rockers. If that was the case and all I had was 2 guitars...they would never leave my sight.
          If you were that big, you wouldn't see your guitars until your guitar tech handed them to you as you hit the stage.

plenty of Jackson endorsees aren't touring the world & aren't household names. Some of them are members of the JCF, playing local shows, doing regional tours & playing support slots for the big touring bands.

I mentioned that I currently only gig with two guitars at a time. But as a Jackson player, I already have other Jacksons I can drag out to supplement the couple I may have scored with my endorsement deal (should it ever play out that way). So just because the company is only providing a couple shouldn't mean those are all you can play.

If I scored an ESP deal, I would be in a predicament because I don't own any ESP/LTDs and if I was to use them exclusively on stage, I'd only be able to use whatever was provided to me. But then as a mercenary bastard who only went to ESP because they were paying me, that's what I would deserve.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

If I scored an ESP deal, I would be in a predicament because I don't own any ESP/LTDs and if I was to use them exclusively on stage, I'd only be able to use whatever was provided to me. But then as a mercenary bastard who only went to ESP because they were paying me, that's what I would deserve.
            oh no people making a living
            Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
              I find it interesting to see all these guys endorsing the Eclipse, and playing them live. But their studio shots all show Gibsons.
              That's so they can keep the better stuff from being abused. Dave Linsk from Overkill endorses and plays Epiphone Les Pauls live because he doesn't have to worry about the wear and tear on the road (he'll still use a Jackson Custom King Kelly once in awhile, too, and he's never been endorsed by them). In the studio he'll play real Gibson Les Pauls or whatever else. He also had the first Jackson Double Rhoads (Robbin Crosby of Ratt loved it and had his own made, which he wound up being famous for using and got called the King V).
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As well, many studios have "house gear" that, depending on the popularity of the band being recorded, as well as time/financial restraints, the studio requires you to use because the sound setup is easy for them. They don't have to completely reprogram the digital console to get "your" sound and aren't wasting a day trying to mic your cabinet that is still adjusting from the outdoor/in-the-truck climate to the indoor climate.

While each person's tone will be different on the same gear, it's still easier to get a good tone if everyone's using the same gear.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I mentioned that I currently only gig with two guitars at a time. But as a Jackson player, I already have other Jacksons I can drag out to supplement the couple I may have scored with my endorsement deal (should it ever play out that way). So just because the company is only providing a couple shouldn't mean those are all you can play.
                  Okay, you are endorsed by Jackson?

Comment

Musician: "Here, Im in a nationally recognized band, Ill advertise your guitars and potentially bring in a few million in extra sales!"

Sorry but to "bring in a few million in extra sales" you really need to be on the level of megadeth or more (if that's even possible with jackson) and i am pretty sure Mustaine didn't just receive a 10% coupon off. Many if not most of all the actual artist roster don't bring any additional millions to the pocket of jackson. You'll have to be realistic here i think
                    I thought we were talking about Major Bands LOL

Comment

I thought we were talking about Major Bands LOL

Oddly enough, it's usually the ones who can more afford to buy Jacksons that are bailing to the "free" companies. Mustaine said his freebies were cut down from 12 a year to 5 IIRC, and was stated as one of the reasons he bailed (along with the buyout issue).

That's of course to go with the dozens he accumulated over the years, so it's not like he was hurting for guitars.

Scott Ian lost all of his in a studio fire years ago, but I'm sure he had dozens of JJs when he left Jackson.

For someone to bail on Jackson for free gear from another company when they're getting them for a cut rate (and they can well afford to pay full price) is absolutely whorish IMO.

They cannot use the "free gear vs paying for it" argument without sounding like money-grubbing whores.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Scott Ian lost all of his in a studio fire years ago, but I'm sure he had dozens of JJs when he left Jackson.

For someone to bail on Jackson for free gear from another company when they're getting them for a cut rate (and they can well afford to pay full price) is absolutely whorish IMO.

They cannot use the "free gear vs paying for it" argument without sounding like money-grubbing whores.
                        Agreed. The funny thing about Scott Ian is he played Jackson, then he was endorsed by ESP at one point in the '80s (he played the Eclipse when it was the Tele shape), then went back to Jackson and got endorsed. I'm really surprised he went on to Washburn, though.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When did Grover Jackson part ways with Washburn? Maybe Ian was following him

Comment

wasn't Grover at Washburn for like, a week and half, designed a couple of guitars & took off? Or am I thinking of Wayne at BC Rich?
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Here's my take.

Who cares what guitar XXX plays? Is it about the guitar or the music?

I don't know too many famous musicians that can turn down money. Think Dave is set for life with millions of dollars? Think again. The Grohls of the world can do that but not the Mustaines. And even Grohl has a Sig Gibson.

What do you expect them to do when XXX Guitar company comes up and says "I'll pay you $XXXX per year and give you XX guitars in that year to play our stuff". Why are they "money grubbing whores" if they do that? You think these guys want to go back to flipping burgers when their sound goes out of style? Not hardly. And the music business has changed big time. The 70's are over, artists are not getting paid like they use to.

So someone goes to another company because they give him free guitars and pay him? Who gives a flying fuck? I don't.

Now if the music sucks, that's another story.
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Music today is firstly a business, secondly an art. Sad to say, but its true. In the business world, you go where the money is. Fact is, the ARTISTS are offering a SERVICE to the guitar companies... everyone seems to act like its the guitar companies doing musicians a favor. Think about it, what was the last time that a big company did something for the good of someone other than their own financial well-being? Advertising isnt free... as a matter of fact, its MUCH more expensive than a few guitars... So even though free guitars are great, its the companies that are really making out.

Now comes the company that wont pay, nor give gear to artists. How fair is that? The artists are the ones writing the music, busting thier asses, using their talent to make a living and to advertise guitars for a company that wont even give them a few guitars costing MAYBE $1000 each company cost (and thats REALLY pushing it). Fuck, Id go with the other guys too.
                                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                                X