Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regardless of who's fault it is as to the state of the Charvel line, the main point is that FINALLY the average shmoe actually has a chance to own a new Charvel, and I applaud anyone who was involved with making that happen!

Ever since I got back into playing and fell in love with my 95 SD 3 all over again, I've wanted to own another new Charvel. No offense to you collectors out there, but I don't really care to own an ebay special 20+ year old Charvel. There's nothing wrong with the older ones if that's what you're into. I want a NEW one! And up till now, unless you could fork out upwards of 3 grand to get one all you could do was sit and wish.

I am VERY happy about the new line, and hope to see more options forthcoming (24 frets, string through or hard tail ect) but I'm not bitching because those options aren't there right away. I'm simply hopeful that this new line is successful enough to prompt them to make more options available.

My .02
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

There's an awful lot of interest in these new guitars, I think they're a great idea and I'm happy to see the company heading in the right direction.
      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Newc, I agree with the EVH Art series . They were good to sell and had great pickups, or so that I heard.

BUT,

All these things you've said created a brand with very high prices and limited functionality(wtf is 21 frets in modern day???)

And I don't think that Grover Jackson series guitars are played by their owners. They're more of collactable pieces.

They didn't do much "real" moves.Most of the things they did were to overcharge customers with quite simple guitars.

An overcharging company is better than a dead company, yes, but I don't think they did much good, until now.

It's a smart and consumer-friendly move to produce these new production series.
        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Those moves were "Halo" or "Flagship" marketing. The general thing in todays market for many limited market products is to get the OMG and WTF moments that high end expensive products and fanboy endorsements bring. Then you go more mainstrem when there appears to be a marked interest in the mainstream. Look at the Tesla car company. Make a 100 Grand electric Lotus, then later, a whole line of electric cars and possibly trucks, including reasonably priced ones.

Comment

What other high quality USA guitars can be had for under $1K that play/sound worth a crap? That right there alone is enough to show Charvel is on the right track. Stock Dimarzio and Duncan pickups with a Floyd and a Strat head, although I like pointies are everything people wanted on a USA Charvel but complained they couldn't afford in the collector market for years. Now we have USA Charvels for the masses! I have not played one yet obviously, but if these play and sound like what I expect from Charvel/Jackson then there is nothing to complain about and I'll be adding one of these to my collection at some point too I don't care for Tele's so probably go for a Tone Zone equipped So Cal model
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

"it's about time someone stopped trying to kiss their ass and just put out a solid product with the Charvel name on it."

^^^^^that's ALL that needed to be said...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                For those crying about brass v-trems and other "just like when I was a baby in 1980" options: how many Retros, 25th Anniversary, or pointyhead USA models did you buy? None? Then why should these be any different?

If you didn't drop the coin for the Retros, the 25th, the EVH, or the pointy USA Charvel run, then FMIC doesn't expect you to pony up the greenbacks for these.
                Instead, they expect you to sit here and cry about the lack of v-trems, too many pickups, and the available colors.

You are not counted as "customers" to them, and are therefore irrelevant.
                Good point. I don't understand why the last USA models didn't sell that well. They could be ordered with 1 humbucker, 2H, H/S and H/S/S, a choice of rosewood, maple or ebony boards, as well as choice of V-trem or Floyd.
                I actually did buy a Star out of that series, maple/maple neck, 2H, Floyd. The neck is really sweet!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I personally don't see why these should move to 24 fret necks. Jackson has that covered perfectly.

Let Charvel cover the Superstrat market. Adding too many options like that will have the same effect it did before: the brand will lose its individual identity.

I don't see a return of the 80's style graphics either. They're outdated in the modern age, and will not be taken seriously in the broader market.

Those will do a lot better as a Limited Run.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Good point. I don't understand why the last USA models didn't sell that well. They could be ordered with 1 humbucker, 2H, H/S and H/S/S, a choice of rosewood, maple or ebony boards, as well as choice of V-trem or Floyd.
                    I actually did buy a Star out of that series, maple/maple neck, 2H, Floyd. The neck is really sweet!
                    Everyone else wanted Stratheads, v-trems, and all the old 80's Charvel indicia.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      The last USA models were too expensive. When you could build a Warmoth or whatever for much less, not many people were interested. These new models are about the same price as a comparable Warmoth, maybe a little more expensive but the price is close enough that people might buy them instead of the hassle of sourcing everything and putting it together.

Comment

They know the Charvel snobs are picky bitches, and that nothing they do will appease all 50 of them. I don't think they're trying to please the snobs with this run, and quite frankly, it's about time someone stopped trying to kiss their ass and just put out a solid product with the Charvel name on it.
                        There are 62 Charvel collectors, not 50.
                        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Just placed my order today for a SoCal Tangerine through Matt!

Maaaaan, I dont know how you custom shop guys make the wait... were probably looking at 1-2 months and Im already impatient!
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Congratulations Rob, That’s the one I (wish) I could buy.
                            I wish there were more pics to drool over.

Comment

Oh dont worry, Im going to be earning this bitch... Ive gotta do an engine swap in a 93 Blazer... thatll pretty much pay for this. Its the only way Im able to do it!
                              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Charvel was killed off by Jackson's redundancy. Once they started putting Jackson logos on the import Charvel models (Fusion, 650, etc) and they beefed them up with ebony boards, MOP, and all the other good stuff in 1990, the Charvel line lost its biggest attractions to Jackson.

Plus they lost the Strathead battle, so there was no need to keep the Charvel name on what were essentially Jackson models.

Not to mention Jackson was getting more business than Charvel, plus Wayne Charvel was almost assuredly getting residual business from Jackson's work simply because of the Charvel logo ("Hey, these Charvels rock - maybe Wayne Charvel can make me a Custom Shop...") etc etc, when they were actually made long after Wayne was out and freelancing for Gibson.

AMIC had more to do with the death of the Charvel brand than FMIC's Anti-Strathead/Anti-Strat-copy position, but also was responsible for the 90/91 Jackson Pros and their high quality.

But it seems you're forgetting a few things:

FMIC tried to capture the essence of the original Charvels with the Retro series aimed at collectors willing to pay $3000+ for one-hum v-trem wonders that looked like the coveted San Dimas models.

That was great in '79 when EVH was the hot new thing, but such a product is totally retarded in today's market. Limited functionality, and limited appeal, as evidenced by their sales (or lack thereof).

So yes, one strike against Fender for that.

Then, FMIC put out a USA pointyhead production line that was more in keeping with the functionality required to survive in today's market (more than one pickup, Floyds), and also brought in EVH to generate interest in the brand again. Though I thought the non-EVH USA models were a bit pricey, many people jumped at them.

EVH originally did for Charvel (and then Kramer, and then Ernie Ball, and then Peavey) what Rhoads did for Jackson: pushed the brand into the spotlight. FMIC knew he could do it again. They both cashed in on the 20+ year-long fanboy replica market with the EVH Art Series, and now they're confident enough in the brand name to actually release a USA Charvel production line.

Based on those last two important factors, I fail to see how FMIC have killed Charvel since the takeover.

They know the Charvel snobs are picky bitches, and that nothing they do will appease all 50 of them. I don't think they're trying to please the snobs with this run, and quite frankly, it's about time someone stopped trying to kiss their ass and just put out a solid product with the Charvel name on it.

For those crying about brass v-trems and other "just like when I was a baby in 1980" options: how many Retros, 25th Anniversary, or pointyhead USA models did you buy? None? Then why should these be any different?

If you didn't drop the coin for the Retros, the 25th, the EVH, or the pointy USA Charvel run, then FMIC doesn't expect you to pony up the greenbacks for these.
                                Instead, they expect you to sit here and cry about the lack of v-trems, too many pickups, and the available colors.

You are not counted as "customers" to them, and are therefore irrelevant.
                                Wow, thanks for an excellent summary. +1000. I am happy with most of FMIC's management of Charvel, and I am EXTREMELY happy about this new USA series.

I have a Music Zoo Koa Natural SD, and the neck is fantastic.

If the necks on this USA series are cut the same as that (and I assume they will be), these will be truly outstanding guitars, at a great price.

Comment

Working...
                                X