Custom Shop 1986-87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by roccotanto View Post
    THAT'S IT!!!! His name was Rob, we were in a band together called "Rag Doll".....lol....played quite a few gigs back then.

that's a great bass.......i can't believe it finally came out of hiding.

it was ordered custom thru Thoroughbred Music in Tampa.

Rob only played in bands a couple of years, then he got smart and got a "real job".....

it was the stupid ones like me that kept playing in bands :ROTF:

that bass was painted to match a set of "board shorts" that Rob used to wear and love.....

it was SUPPOSED to have shark fins and neck binding, though.....custom shop screwed up on that.....:think:
    Cool info and nice story with the pants.Thanks.The bass surfaced last year on ebay.I'm a guitar player but love to fiddle around on a bass, too so i decided to buy this one as i love graphics a lot on my guitars.
    Sharkfins and binding would have been nice but otherwise it would have been (maybe?) "too much"....
    Maybe your green strat surfaces one day, too.

Any recordings of Rag Doll available??
    Here are some pics of the bass...

Comment

• it is SO COOL to see that bass again.......and Rob was ALWAYS a careful guy with his gear. it does nto surprise me that the bass is in near mint condition and still has the hangtags and info.

you can see from the tag he custom ordered it.

wow.....you really made my day posting those pics!

Rag Doll was an 80s cover band we were in, we played a lot of RATT and DOKKEN and Aerosmith......typical 80s band stuff.

i don't have any recording from that band, and that photo i posted is one fo the only band pics i have from that band.

wow....simply wow......i am so happy to see that bass again!

i have NEVER seen my dweezil green strat again. i traded it back in to the music store we ordered them thru. the dweezil green Jackson had one of the BEST maple necks i have ever felt on a jackson bolt on.

Comment

• also.....that "hands off" orange tag was from Russell A. Farrow "RAF" from Thoroughbred Music, one of the top guitar sales guys back then.

he is still a friend of mine now....and he was SMART....back in the 80s, when guys like me were trading in vintage strats to get Jacksons, he was buying them from the store and stashing them away.

he STILL has my '59 slab board strat that i traded in for a Soloist in 1985.

but that is just a testament to HOW GOOD the Jackson guitars were back then. i traded my '59 strat AND $400 cash to get my first Soloist, and it was WORTH IT, at the time.

of course now that '59 is worth around $30k or so...facepalm......

Comment

• Originally posted by roccotanto View Post
          wow.....you really made my day posting those pics!

Rag Doll was an 80s cover band we were in, we played a lot of RATT and DOKKEN and Aerosmith......typical 80s band stuff.

You're welcome

80's stuff...yeah, great music!that's what the bass must be used for!

Wow...you could buy easily some more Soloists if you'd still own your´59 strat

Comment

• Originally posted by maggo View Post
            You're welcome

80's stuff...yeah, great music!that's what the bass must be used for!

Wow...you could buy easily some more Soloists if you'd still own your´59 strat

lol......yeah, you are right about that!

but that just goes to show HOW GOOD Jackson/Charvel guitars are.

in the 80s, there was NO OTHER guitar as good as the Jackson Charvels.....and the Soloist i traded for played 10 times better than that '59 strat did.

and i wasn't the only one.....lots of guys traded in vintage guitars to get Charvels and Jacksons. there was nothing better to play ROCK music on than the Charvel Jacksons....

today it sounds kid of crazy to trade a vintage strat for a Jackson Soloist. but back then, i was REALLY happy with that Soloist, and it kicked that '59s ASS when it came to playability and tone.

Comment

• Kinda of an old thread but what a great read it was. I wish some of the pics could still be viewed.

Comment

• Truly some great stuff in here.
                Last edited by RattleHead; 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• +1
                  "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

• I contact Jim Lilly, the author of this thread hoping he could give me some insight on my recent graphic snag. Jim was very helpful but wasn't familiar with the graphic and it was done (1991) after he had departed Jackson. Jim did mention he believed it came from the custom shop but didn't expand upon that.

One interesting note, Jim mentioned, "Nothing was painted on speculation of selling it from the custom shop"....Nice little bit of insider news IMO.

So the saga continues...searching for answers.

Comment

• I remember that beach scene when it was on EBAY Maynard from here wants to buy it.

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

• Originally posted by Amerturk View Post
                        I contact Jim Lilly, the author of this thread hoping he could give me some insight on my recent graphic snag. Jim was very helpful but wasn't familiar with the graphic and it was done (1991) after he had departed Jackson. Jim did mention he believed it came from the custom shop but didn't expand upon that.

One interesting note, Jim mentioned, "Nothing was painted on speculation of selling it from the custom shop"....Nice little bit of insider news IMO.

So the saga continues...searching for answers.

That is beautiful!
                        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

• thanks Stevoc!

Update: I just got word from Dan Lawrence that it's not his work either... the saga continues again....

Comment

• All I can say about this thread is WOW!!!!! Thank God many of those photos were not available to view...I think I would have OD'd!!!!!!

Comment

• I was at Thoroughbread music in Tampa at around 1987. There was a used Dweezil Jackson and used black Jackson. I came back the next day to buy the Dweezil but it was already gone so I got the black Jackson. Sold her later to a guy in Paris, France.

Comment

• Wow!!! What an incredibly magnificent thread! Tons of beautiful guitars throughout the pages
                                MuttznMongrelz
                                Recovering G.A.S.-aholic

1988 Jackson Soloist Custom "Glow In The Dark Lava"
                                2006 Jackson Soloist Custom "Red Snakeskin"
                                2013 USACG Iceman Custom
                                1992 Peavey 5150 Signature Combo

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X