Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GinSonic intro!

Hello all.
    Just as the title states; an intoduction thread in , what appears to be, a fine forum. I wasn't too sure where to post an intro, but I figured this was a good a forum to start in, so in here it is!

I discovered this site by chance while searching for info for the Kahler on my, what I believe to be, a Charvel Model 4. I've been lurking in here for the past week and it appears to me that JCF is chalked full of useful info and interesting characters in the membership. Seem's to be a cool community in here. Figured if I'm gonna lurk, I might as well join up and get in on the fun!

I bought my Charvel brand new back in '87 for $900.00CDN. My apologies for not posting a pic. I know it's pretty much forum etiquette to post a pic in an intro thread in this type of forum. It's just a stock, no options guitar, as any Charvel model 4 is. You all know what it looks like. However, I know you're all pics freaks, {as I am too!} and it doesn't matter. Guys just wants to check out another guy's toys, right?

I promise to post a pic real soon. Gonna have to at some point because ditsy me doesn't recall too much detail when I purchased it. I was pretty much caught up in the frenzy of Strat style guitars that was going on at the time and wanted to get in on it. Had to have a custom style Strat with humbuckers, know what I mean? This was there, the price was good, I bought it via a layaway plan, and in 3 months, I was blastin' it through my JCM 800. Beautiful!

I have a tendency to post essays to begin with. I belong to a tunersite and they've put up with me these past 4 years now. I've trimmed my novels down some as now I'm a moderator on that site. I don't ask too many newbie questions anymore.

However, I hope you guys can put up with some newbie queries from me. I will ask them for sure. I do tinker on guitars, but only so much as to change strings, set the neck, raise and lower pups{pickups???!??!?}, bridges and such. A luthier, I am not. Techno geek? Nope. I haven't even so much as cleaned a scratchy volume pot. I don't even polish my guitars regularly!

I'm not a collector, but I have 8 axes in all. None the same. Eclectic, if you will. I'll post pics at some point, but for now they are as follows:
    - beat up late '70's BC Rich Seagull{my main axe in the day}
    - late '70 or early '80's BC Rich Eagle
    - Platinum Series BC Rich blue snakeskin
    - Gibson SG
    - MIM Fender Jazz bass
    - old Raven Les Paul copy{my 2nd guitar. Had an Emperador Les Paul copy as my 1st. Loved that old beast!}
    - BC Rich electric acoustic.{Kind of a mystery guitar?!??!!??!?}
    - and said Charvel. The one I play most!

I've got 5 amps, all kinds of pedals n' such crap, but I'll list 'em another time. Or not!

I look forward to learning some things and vexing the JCF vets with numerous, asked ad nauseum, noob questions!
    Cheers.
    G.

Welcome to the forum.

A JCFer, Henrik, has a website with scans of all the old Jackson/Charvel catalogues. If you look through them, it might jog your memory as to when you exactly you picked up your Charvel:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/jackson-charv...cans.php?cat=3

Comment

so ... Are you like an alcoholic version of me??

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        Wowzers! Those catalogue scans really were helpful.
        Thanks for that and the warm welcome too.

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
        so ... Are you like an alcoholic version of me??
        Well, I drape the Charvel over my shoulder's with a black strap with red suns and some Japanese characters on it. Does that qualify with regards to the "Samurai" part?
        Oh wait a sec......You're referring to my handle..."GIN"-sonic!
        Nope. No alcohol involved. I just like the way those two words flow together. It's what I go by on every forum I registered to.
        G.

Comment

Welcome G.
          That's an interesting collection you have there.
          Looking forward to seeing some pics!

We're big on pics around here, and often...

post pics for no reason whatsoever.
          :ROTF:
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Those catalogues are a great resource. Henrik rocks.

And spikey is right, irrelevant pictures for no reason are good:

Comment

Damn Ken
              I think I just sprained my wrist!
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                We're big on pics around here, and often...
                post pics for no reason whatsoever.
                Since when?
                "POOP"

Comment

Since just now!

Last edited by nhspike; 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM.
                  --floydkramer

Comment

That pic above is just not right. Perhaps in the '70's when I was a growing teen I could've downed a burg like that no problem. An eighth of that would do me just fine. Hmmmm.....kinda' hungry right now for some reason.

Uhm....okay. Back to it.

Here's a pic. Not so good as it's just what I snapped just now as they sit beside me and my computer;

If I ever get inspired, perhaps I'll take them out and stage a real shoot like some that I've seen in here in JCF.

From viewing the catalogue scans, it appears my beast is an '86 model 4; just as I suspected it was.

BTW boys. Nice axes!
                    G.
                    Last edited by GinSonic; 06-21-2008, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I dig that black Model 4 much.
                      I've had a couple just like it.

Nice family!
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                        Since just now!

That's a tough picture to top! I salute you!
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                          That's a tough picture to top! I salute you!
                          Coming from you, that's a serious complement! Thanx man!
                          --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                          X