Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson neck profile

Here's one for the vets,
    I have a Jackson strat from 1986 that has always been my favorite guitar to play. When I would measure it with a caliper, it was within .015 of most of the other Jackson necks I have. Burt the other night I realized it had a different profile than the standard Jackson. It is not uniform, but has the top side shaved thinner ( like a SRV profile ) from the nut to about the 7th fret. Has anyone heard of this, and was it an option? When I ordered the guitar in 1986, I don't remember anyone asking about that option, I thought it was going to be a standard profile. My luthier thinks that I just wore it down since I play that guitar about 90% of the time. Anyone know of this? Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson neck profile

up

Comment

Do you play with sandpaper on your thumb? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah...I don't think you'd be able to wear it down with just your hands...it had to have been shaped like that...
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

but then when Fender made Clapton's sig str@t, they were supposed to have measured all over the neck of Blackie with a micrometer (or something) so that when they replicated the neck, the new guitar would already have the "broken in" feel of Blackie's 30 year old neck. Then Clapton could grab a new guitar & straight away feel like he was playing on an old friend, the neck shaped by years of his playing her, without risking having his beloved No.1 axe damaged on tour.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Could it be a compound radius? Or does a compound radius only apply to fingerboards?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

only to fretboards.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

More than likely, it was just shaped slightly differently on accident. The are all given the final shape by hand, so it was probably just a couple of strokes too much on that side.

Comment

Thanks G-Money. I wasn't totally sure. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Instead of being even on both side,(50/50)
                    it's more like (70/30) the thickest part of the neck is behind the B string, instead of between the D and G. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, I still am. I used to play in Superior. And you are...... I can't tell through the hair [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mike aka the cheesehead that used to play in ToyBox in Peoria.. remember at all?

Comment

I remember ToyBox, I filled in for them for about a month back in the day. Have any pics where your hair isn't in the way? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I was the guy that came directly after you filled in for them. I replaced you at the Royal Grove NB. remember the road trip? all you did was complain bout how ya had to use the can? And when we got to the hotel what happened? Funny shit. literally.

Comment

Working...
                              X