Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany Imports??!?!?

After watching the vid in this eBay ad;

I was reminded how I like the sound of mahogany bodied electrics so much over most anything else. I realize it's just one factor as pickup selection and what amp one plays through contributes to the overall outcome. Be that as it may; to me, mahogany is at the top for tremendous tone.

So with that in mind, Other than USA San Dimas' and such, do any import Jackson/Charvel's exist that sports mahogany bodies?
    Cheers.
    G.

The Mark Morton MM1 Dominion. I own one, and it rules!
    Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

The KV2T. Though, this is a USA model.
    Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

The Christian Olde Wolder 6- and 7-string models.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

SLSMG

Comment

Kevin Bond Rhoads is all mahogany as well ... but toejam is right the mark morton dominion rules

Comment

Charvel model A

Comment

Model 88
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Fusion H-H Just a balls out tone monster I'll never sell mine. "nuff said"
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Many import brands - ESPee, Ibenhad, Schecter, etc - use a lesser grade of mahogany. Not all mahogany is top-of-the-line tonewood. That is evidenced by their low cost.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Many import brands - ESPee, Ibenhad, Schecter, etc - use a lesser grade of mahogany. Not all mahogany is top-of-the-line tonewood. That is evidenced by their low cost.
                  At least the guitar manufacturers call it agathis most of the time. Owners on the other hand sell them on ebay as mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Fusion H-H Just a balls out tone monster I'll never sell mine. "nuff said"
                    +1

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                      At least the guitar manufacturers call it agathis most of the time. Owners on the other hand sell them on ebay as mahogany.
                      Agathis DEFINITELY does not match up as a tone wood to mahogany. It may be reasonably similar (though in my opinion generally inferior) to mahogany, even though they are not of the same species- Agathis is an evergreen.

I'm not saying in any way that agathis guitars are bad for the price point- just not the equal of mahogany.
                      GM,
                      www.aftershok.com

Comment

I got this from a website.
                        Agathis is a 'poor man's mahogany', related to the pine family of woods and grown in many asian countries. It's cheap, easy to use and gives consistent and stable results, so it is often used in less expensive instruments. The best way to describe the tone is similar to mahogany, but is more bland sounding with a less complex sound.
                        I see people selling the esp ltds as mahogany when the specs say agathis.

Comment

I don't hear any similarities between mahogany and agathis

good mahogany sounds warm, rich, fat and thick

while all agathis is thin and buzzy sounding piece of shit
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The Phil Collen PC3 imports were mahogany(quilted maple veneer top). They also made a Dinky RVS a few years back that was mahogany.
                            Good deals with:
                            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

This might be an old post. Nonetheless;

After checkin' out the vid on the MM Dominion, I'd have to say that it is definitely an axe to be desired. I presume they're imports as opposed to USA made, huh.
                              G.

Comment

Working...
                              X