Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first time you ever a Jackson guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I originally wanted a Kramer or some other EVH-like guitar bad as when I first started I idolized Eddy. I also liked Randy a lot too, but never paid much attention to his guitars, though I knew what an RR was. Eventually, I determined most Kramers I could afford at the time were uber-crap, I settled on my Charvel, which brought incredible joy with it's Floyd Rose, humbucker pickups, and EVH-aesthetics.

I really liked the Charvel, but still wanted an ESP or something to go with it. I knew a local shop had just gotten in Jackson guitars and I got talked into trying one of the initial ones they got; a Crimson Swirl DK2T. It was so killer in sound and playing and looked unique, I HAD to have it and nabbed. After that, I tried Ibanez and ESPs but was unimpressed or flat disappointed, and the only guitar I never thought of selling was that Jackson. Now it's almost Charvel, Jackson, or the highway for my fiddles

Comment

MTV.... RATT

I had a Gibson V, but i friend of my had a Charvel Md 6 that he handed me to try. I no longer have a gibson V, but i do have a Md 6.
      ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Randy himself was sporting the first jackson I ever saw. Nuff said.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

My frist exposure to JAckson was Ratt. The Round and round video. And of course Vinnie Vincent with that gold Rhoads. When i saw them live on that tour. But i was so ar away I couldnt tell what it was. And of course Stryper. Gotta love that yellow and black soloist of Oz's. ANd No Tom Scholz played A Cherry Burst Les PAul custom. With dimarzio Super D and a PAf Pro. Tom is actually the one playin the organ on that song in the link abive.
          Gil
          Altho it looks like the other guitar player. ( i forgot his name) is playing a black soloist.
          Last edited by JACKSONFREAK; 06-27-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
            Robert,
            Love that graffic man!
            Thanks! (i hardly ever post it though... :ROTF:

Comment

I musta been 7 or 8 going into the local music shop with my old man (he was shopping around for a new guitar) and remember looking up at these ultra cool guitars in glass cases. I especially liked the white ones. I dunno if they were jacksons or charvels specifically but they were expensive and kickass

Comment

Huge rhoads fan and then almost everyother band I liked were playing Jacksons and charvels at the time. I couldn't afford one back in high school so I played a MIJ Squier for a few years until I found a used model 6 my senior year (1988)for $400 at guitar center. My dad paid for half for a hs graduation present.
                I still have it and it's the only guitar I could never part with. Hell I just changed the pickup for the first time in 20 years.

Comment

As far as actually owning one, not until 2000 when my old band got back together just after I got full-time where I am now.

I had been using an Ibanez EX350 and my Les Paul Standard since 1994/95, and the Lo-TRS trem on the Ibby was starting to go bad (wouldn't return to pitch).

So I ordered a replacement trem from the store I bought the guitar from (authorized dealer). Took them 3 months to fill the order.

2 months and 29 days after placing the order, I got fed up and traded the Ibanez dead-even for a used Kelly from another store. KX10D, I think it was (satin chrome hardware IIRC). It kicked ass, and more importantly, it stayed in tune

I was into Megadeth at the time, and was aware they were using Jacksons, so that had some influence on the decision, but once I got the Kelly I was hooked on Jacksons.

Lots of people cite Rhoads, but the funny thing is, I was never a huge Randy fan. I never knew the whole story of why Ozzy "left" Sabbath until many years later - remember we didn't have rampant tabloid journalism like we do today. All they said on the radio was that Ozzy left Black Sabbath. Being a huge Sabbath fan in the late 70s (at 12 years old, no less ) I thought it was a bad career move on his part

First time I heard Rhoads was at a friend's house. First thing I said was "ewww, it doesn't sound anything like Sabbath!"
                  I thought his tone sucked - it had no definition, and you couldn't tell what chords he was playing (even though I hadn't started playing guitar yet, I at least could tell when Iommi changed chords, even playing the record at low volume)
                  Last edited by Newc; 06-28-2008, 03:40 AM.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                    anthrax, megadeth, metallica, and slayer videos.
                    Ditto, although I probably saw them in a slew of hair metal videos too. I remember being more than slightly annoyed that we just couldn't get Jacksons around here. There were a couple of stores that sold Charvel, and I knew they were the same company, but we didn't start seeing Jacksons in the stores until around 1991.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I think it was Dave Murray playing that red strat shape with the black pickguard. Thats was my dream guitar for a while, then after I got into Megadeth I got my first KVX10. Now I've sold that, got 2 USAs and another import.

Comment

First time I'd ever even heard of Jackson guitars was when I was about 17. My old man took me to Sam Ash to buy me a guitar for my b-day, late 16th early 18th, I dont remember which.

We both ended up getting guitars and amps that day. He bought a trans blue flame Import Dinky with a reverse head stock, which I hated by the way lol. I walked out with a *cough* Ibanez RG 320 *cough*. We both got valvestate vs100 combos that day too.

A few years later he bought a SL1 that I also hated, I just could not get into the feel of them at all.

FF to 2008: both guitars are still in the family, he still has the Dinky and my niece has the Ibanez. I now of course have my own SL1 with the SL2 from Matt's coming sometime in the future, and a pointy Charvel on the wall

-Steve
                        Guitars:
                        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                        Amp:
                        VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                          This poster hanging on my wall when I was a snot nosed teenager.

Same

Then a year or two later with Ratt..

Comment

Mine was when I first saw the video to Symphony Of Destruction (about 7 or 8 years ago). I thought Marty's KE-1 looked amazing, still does.
                            93 USA Soloist EDS
                            USA HT6 Juggernaut
                            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Jackson was what it said on all those pointy headstocks I loved when I was a kid - a lot of shredders here and there helped build the brand up for me, and then of course there was Megadeth... Plus I got a Vester guitar which was a Jackson copy, and so I was really endeared to the original brand...
                              - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

The first time you ever a Jackson guitar.

> In my case,my first exposure was the very early Guitar World with the centerfold-poster of Randy's two. Then a few months later,a cover of GFPM with Carlos Cavazo.

It wasn't until Ratt came out with Out Of The Cellar that I saw my first one in person. I was squeaking along on my first guitar,a hand-me-down Sears strat copy at my grandparents house and needed strings,so we went downtown to the original location for Akron Music. They were a huge C/J dealer,with at least 40 different guitars on hand,plus all the other brands. At the time,my dream guitar was a Gibson Explorer. That changed when I got my hands on a Rhoads,then a Soloist. They were certainly expensive then,the Soloist was tagged at 2295.00,the Rhoads was 2195.00,this was in '84. This particular Soloist I truly believe surfaced here a while back,it was purple/purple checkerboard.

I used my graduation money and bought a dot-neck Soloist Custom and Mesa Mark III. I later added a Model 6,an '89 Soloist that was basically what the SL1 is now,and the Model 5 I still have,the rest were lost in a fire. Tommy D.
                                "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Working...
                                X