Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried putting on heavier strings, can't tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried putting on heavier strings, can't tune?

Hi I have a charvel/jackson model 4 guitar with a floyd rose tremolo
    and I unfortunately bought some new strings that are heavier gage and when
    I put them on it will not tune! I unfortunately do not know what brand was on the guitar from the getgo. Can I fix this problem by myself or do I have
    to bring it to a shop to adjust it? Is it just adjusting the neck a little or the
    springs on the back underneath? Thanks Nickster

Heavier strings generate more tension on the trem springs, pulling it forward more easily, so you will have to add a spring to the back (should have 3 in it now, you want at least 4, maybe 5 for heavier strings like 11s and up) and tighten the spring claw screws to keep the bridge flat.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It won't tune? Is the back of the bridge pulling up?

My guess is it will need both a claw adjustment and a neck adjustment once you are done.
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

sorry but that was funny.

Welcome to changing strings with a floyd.

When you tighten one string, all of the other strings will go out of tune because the bridge moves (hence floating bridge).

you have to tune each string multiple times to get it close to being in tune. It takes a few min's.

If the strings are the same gauge, then the bridge should sit where it was sitting before (with out any claw adjustments or adding springs).

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post

If the strings are the same gauge, then the bridge should sit where it was sitting before (with out any claw adjustments or adding springs).
          If they're the same brand, then the bridge should be level to what it was before. If it's a different brand of string than you normally use, there could be a tension difference and you'd have to adjust the springs.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            If they're the same brand, then the bridge should be level to what it was before. If it's a different brand of string than you normally use, there could be a tension difference and you'd have to adjust the springs.
            + 1

Comment

I really don't see what was funny about that?

He said he changed to a heavier gauge... he's needs to adjust the spring claw at the least, or perhaps add a spring and adjust as well.

Going to a heavier gauge and lower tuning generally only requires a claw adjustment...
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

This is good info for us newbs.
                The Floyd Rose. Well......whammy's in general are kind of new to me.
                My recent acquisition of a Kramer F2000;

I still have to set it up to my liking, which will involve a string change to 9's, as it presently has all five springs and 10's on it. The claw adjustment is new to me.

Is there a newbie FAQ sticky in JCF that you big wigs can direct us newbs to for this and other guitar tech stuff?

Hmmmm.....perhaps a search in the TECH forum is the order of the day....
                G.

Comment

There are a lot of excellent DVD's with booklets on ebay, amazon, and probably your local Barnes & Noble or Guitar Center etc. that will teach you about guitar repairs. You can even go to your local guitar store and pay someone to make the adjustments and show you how to do it yourself next time.
                  If you are serious about playing guitar I suggest you find a local tech. They can show you things in minutes that may take you years to figure out.

Reason for edit: Changing the gauge of strings will more than likely warrant the need for intonation adjustment
                  Last edited by phill_up; 07-03-2008, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GinSonic View Post
                    This is good info for us newbs.
                    The Floyd Rose. Well......whammy's in general are kind of new to me.
                    My recent acquisition of a Kramer F2000;

I still have to set it up to my liking, which will involve a string change to 9's, as it presently has all five springs and 10's on it. The claw adjustment is new to me.

Is there a newbie FAQ sticky in JCF that you big wigs can direct us newbs to for this and other guitar tech stuff?

Hmmmm.....perhaps a search in the TECH forum is the order of the day....
                    G.
                    There actually is a sticky in the Tech forum. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679

Comment

Actually, I saw that sticky. However, I ignored it as the title mislead me into thinking it only concerned painting parts.

I see now that it contains separate topics within the body of the thread. Silly me. My powers of observation have left me some as I get on in age!

Thanks for pointing this out, Toejam. At the very least, for posting this so I would take a 2nd look.
                      G.

Comment

There actually is a sticky in the Tech forum. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679
                        That someone not so cleverly just lumped together instead of properly putting it into an archive subforum. :p

Comment

Don't blame me. Someone did that long before I was even an admin.

Comment

Don't blame me. Someone did that long before I was even an admin.
                            Ok... well how about...

it's all your fault you haven't fixed it?

Comment

Working...
                            X