Lacewood Jackson/Charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacewood Jackson/Charvels?

Perhaps this should be in another forum. Wasn't sure, but it is about Jacksons and Charvels.

I've not heard of this wood before. My searches tell me that it's pretty common in acoustic guitar construction. However, not so much with solid body electrics.

- What kind of qualities does this wood have?
    - How does it sound compared to solid mahogany, maple, alder bodied examples?
    - Would a lacewood bodied axe be considered a heavy or light weight guitar?

Sure is a beautiful looking wood, don't you think?
    G.

Comment

One of the reason is if I understand correctly from reading about it and looking at, it seems like it would be hard to finish with anything other than stain due to the texture of it. I've never (knowingly!) felt or held any, so I can't confirm that. Another could be is it's kind of odd looking by some standards. It would be cool to do some kind of snake/reptile skin-like finish with it though, but I bet it would take some serious patience.

Comment

there was a cool picture of 3 of the mid-90's SDs side by side, each in an exotic wood. One was lacewood, one was koa, the other I can't remember. Doesn't help you any, but it was a cool pic

CR, according to the Warmoth link, it looks good under a gloss finish.

fwiw, I used to have an old wardrobe with a lacewood front. Apparently fairly commonly used in cabinet making over here early last century. It makes for some pretty furniture: http://www.lacewoodfurniture.com.au/cgi-local/index.pl
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          there was a cool picture of 3 of the mid-90's SDs side by side, each in an exotic wood. One was lacewood, one was koa, the other I can't remember. Doesn't help you any, but it was a cool pic

CR, according to the Warmoth link, it looks good under a gloss finish.l
          I noticed that, but I was thinking actual solid colors like blacks and not clear finishes. Maybe it is a smooth wood, but it does look it in some pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            there was a cool picture of 3 of the mid-90's SDs side by side, each in an exotic wood.
            Pretty sure the 3rd one was 'just' mahogany, as that'd be the 3rd wood the SD1s were available in....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The pics, {other than the Phil Collen's one.} were all lifted from the same eBay listing.
              If you'll notice the leopard pattern rug in both the pics.
              G.

Comment

Actually, lacewood is more common than you think. All of the Kip Winger basses (USA and Pro) were done in it, including the necks. And I have a Soloist which was stained with a nice red, the neck is also lacewood and unfinished, check the grain! Brad (YetAnotherOne) sold me this killer Lacewood Soloist.

It is extremely similar to that Exotic Dinky as was mentioned above (described in the 1994 catalog). The tone is thick and deep, but has a slight brightness to it. It is very much like alder, but, unlike alder, it has a gorgeous grain to it, almost like fish scales. I believe it is only grown in Australia, or at least that's where Jackson imports the wood from.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Joe, is that a pau ferro or rosewood board? That guitar is gorgeous!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks, Joe. We think it's Pau Ferro, but it could be rosewood.

Comment

Wow, I love how the Jackson logo has the black bit on it!
                      Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                      Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                      Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

My Lacewood Charvie. Plays great, super low action, slab rosewood fretboard, Dimarzio hums. Need to sell it cause it seldom gets played.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                          Actually, lacewood is more common than you think. All of the Kip Winger basses (USA and Pro) were done in it, including the necks. And I have a Soloist which was stained with a nice red, the neck is also lacewood and unfinished, check the grain! Brad (YetAnotherOne) sold me this killer Lacewood Soloist.

It is extremely similar to that Exotic Dinky as was mentioned above (described in the 1994 catalog). The tone is thick and deep, but has a slight brightness to it. It is very much like alder, but, unlike alder, it has a gorgeous grain to it, almost like fish scales. I believe it is only grown in Australia, or at least that's where Jackson imports the wood from.
                          OMG, that's nice. I assume that's a CS without the logo? Unreal how nice that is.

Comment

Right, it's a Custom Shop from 1992. I don't think they began the logo until around 95 or so, and even then, it was an option. That "shaded" logo you see on there with the mother of pearl and black was used only for a few years until about 94...

Comment

That's a really nice looking wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X