Difference between Jackson and Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Jackson and Charvel

I know this is a pretty broad question, but thinking about the current products that are available and the direction Charvel has shown with their new production models, what would you say is the difference between Jackson and Charvel guitars?

To stir up the discussion ... more specifically (thinking of current production and custom shop guitars) ...

1. Who does each brand target?
    2. What are the major diffences between the guitars for Jackson vs. Charvel?
    3. Is there a difference in the type of music that each brand of guitar is best suited for?

Again, I know these are broad questions, but I think the discussion will be fascinating.

Plus, I have nothing much else to do while waiting for UPS to bring my Candy Tangerine Charvel So Cal.

Dave
    Dave

Charvel's target demograpic is "Pops"

Jackson's is "Cookie Monster's from Sweden"

Comment

:ROTF:

Comment

once upon a time...charvels were bolt-ons and jacksons were neck-thrus...as for different targets?...i dunno...the charvels aren't as overall agressive looking but fact is it's the player not the guitar...for versatility?...see above statement...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

One has a sticker on the headstock that says Jackson. The other has a sticker on the headstock that says Charvel.
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Your question is too loose. Both brands of guitars have seen similarities, there have been bolt on 22 fret hot rod guitars, as well as pointies, neckthroughs, active electronics, Vee's, recessed trems, etc.
            are you talking from the beginning of the guitars existence or the difference of the guitars in 2008?

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
              are you talking from the beginning of the guitars existence or the difference of the guitars in 2008?
              Take a look back at my question. I'm talking about the currently available production models. So ... looking forward, not backward is what I'm thinking about.

For example, has the new J/C (FMIC) decided that ...

Charvel is all about (comparisons are relative to Jackson):
              - Strat shaped heads
              - Maple fretboards
              - Thin but not as thin as Jackson neck profiles
              - San Dimas strat shapes (i.e. rounded, not squared off like dinky's)
              - Targeted at the retro 80s crowd and those (re)discovering it

Jackson is all about (comparisons are relative to Charvel):
              - Pointies of course
              - Rosewood or ebony fretboards
              - Thinnner neck profiles
              - More squared off and radical shapes
              - Targeted at shredders of all metal genres

Dave
              Dave

Comment

oops, my bad. "current products"

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                  One has a sticker on the headstock that says Jackson. The other has a sticker on the headstock that says Charvel.
                  Looking back to the late 80s and early 90s this would be true. Because this was true, each brand was somewhat diluted which is I'm sure a big reason why Charvel "went on vacation" for a number of years. Who needs two brands that are the same except a sticker on the headstock?

But, my question is not about the past, it's about the present and the near future. FMIC is likely a smart marketer - you don't get into their position by being bad at marketing. So, will the Jackson and Charvel brands have their own unique identity going forward?

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ak47 View Post
                    charvel's target demograpic is "pops"

jackson's is "cookie monster's from sweden"
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      Charvel's target demograpic is "Pops"

Jackson's is "Cookie Monster's from Sweden"

:ROTF::ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                        Looking back to the late 80s and early 90s this would be true. Because this was true, each brand was somewhat diluted which is I'm sure a big reason why Charvel "went on vacation" for a number of years. Who needs two brands that are the same except a sticker on the headstock?
                        Well, technically not "on vacation". You could ALWAYS get a Charvel logo put on a guitar if you wanted to order a Custom Shop model.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's not entirely accurate. I believe there was a period when you actually couldn't get a Charvel logo'd guitar from the custom shop. This started around the '86 move to Ontario and, depending on who you believe, ended somewhere as early as just a couple of years later and as late as the early 90s.

There were a lot of guys who ordered custom Charvels in '86 and were suprised when they showed up with Jackson logos on the headstock. They literally did not have any Charvel logos (nor neck plates) at the custom shop for quite a while after the move to Ontario and the introduction of the Charvel import line.

Comment

Hmmm, that's interesting. Though, I was speaking more about later on, after the Charvel import line dropped off for awhile and there was just Jackson only. During that period, I remember people saying you could order customs with the Charvel logo. Maybe I'm mistaken.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, you could definitely get Charvel logo'd guitars from the custom shop again beginning in the early 90s. Maybe even earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X