No announcement yet.

Difference between Jackson and Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's talking current production models and current Custom Shop, not "custom shop prior to 2008".

Charvel and Jackson are, as I heard it at NAMM, 2 separate brands now, just like Gretsch and Guild. There is no "J/C". It's "J" and "C" now.

As for target demographic: most likely the players who are not doing Death/Speed/Thrash/Doom/Hardcore, since that's Jackson's market.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i think we may (and that is a big may) see Charvel make leaps and bounds. The look of being a Strat and not a pointy could attract the Fender fans, where if it was a pointy it would not stand a chance.
      ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

I refer to the 78-86 Charvel time frame as "Pre-Pops Era"

The current 2003-2008 FMIC Charvel is what I call the "Pops Era"

Comment

It doesn't seem that jackson will compete with charvel as much as fender will. Trevor Perez plays a fender that looks a hell of a lot like the SoCal charvel. Could the Charvel and The Humbucker USA Floyd Strat be competitors?
          I don't expect to see the return of a charvel single coil strat with S/S/S config anytime soon.

Comment

If you had to compare, what jackson neck shape is most like a charvel san dimas???

Comment

yeah Charvels are
              -full size strat body
              - small guitar logo, pointy or strathead (you can't say Charvels are equated only w/ stratheads, too many US custom Charvel pointies in the 80's for that)
              - bolt-on
              - dot markers on fb
              - when done w/ other body shapes, mainly classics were used (Explorer, roundhorn V, Tele)

Jackson
              - ultra metal designs
              - sharkfins
              - pointies all day
              - bound necks and headstocks
              - generally neckthrus initially as noted above

I'm a Charvel guy totally. just suits me, style-wise, and the most impactful of my 80's guitar heroes gravitated the Charvel way (Lynch, DeMartini, Jake). somehow that little guitar logo on the classy bodies is more "me" than the aggro hard-edged Jackson look. they are both great instruments.

plus everyone has Jacksons and I'm a contrarian.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

but I don't foresee a charvel S/S/S anytime soon do you skorb? It Seems like that would be getting into fender territory, although I have seen them on ebay. I'm assuming you could order a charvel with a pointy?

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                  but I don't foresee a charvel S/S/S anytime soon do you skorb? It Seems like that would be getting into fender territory, although I have seen them on ebay. I'm assuming you could order a charvel with a pointy?
                  there were some SSS Charvels in the 80's based simply on what was custom ordered by customers at that time. like the 3-tite (SSS with no pickguard) and some pickguarded ones. then you had the Model 1A from the later 80's too, which was SSS.

but no, to me a Charvel has a humbucker and one that's powerful enough to kick you in the nuts too.

and yes as far as I know, the Charvel custom shop will make you pointies all day long if you bring enough of the $$$$.

Comment

oh, I forgot

Charvel = 22 frets
                    Jackson = 24 frets

Comment

Are they making USA Charvels again?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricey View Post
                        Are they making USA Charvels again?
                        Yep. See the many threads on this board on the topic or just go to charvelguitars.com
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X