Forum Activity = Sales/Popularity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
    I don't know about posts = popularity , but something I've been wondering about is ; at my local gc there's probalbly 30 fenders ,but only 3 maybe 4 jacksons ( I think the public is still buying J\C's )so is fender not trying to make the J\C brand grow ??
    The two GC's here in Vegas don't even carry USA's anymore. I have to go to (gulp) Ed Romans for a USA Jackson, and as far as I know, nobody carries Charvel.

Loosing Matt to higher end guitars is going to further slow J/C sales. It would be nice if J/C would produce a really high end, no expense sparred model. The people that have money will continue to buy.

Comment

I also saw on their site that Jackson co-sponsored some skate/rock tour earlier this year.

Tony Hawk might be the only skater who could afford a USA model though.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by satch0922 View Post
        My question is this, knowing that Dean for example out sells Jackson/Charvel these days, are we witnessing a dying breed? No marketing, no affordable set/neck thru guitars etc will eventually kill this line?
        I have to ask, how do you know that Dean outsells Jackson or Charvel? I haven't seen sales figures. FMIC won't release that info.

And let's be clear, there is no correlation between forum popularity and revenue. There are folks who post here and don't own Jacksons or Charvels.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

I dunno, I know plenty of people buying or aspiring to buy a Jackson or Charvel guitar.

As for the other brands... I have yet to find an Ibeenhad that I like (Except maybe Hippietims Jem but I've only noodled around on it once).

I look for guitars that look as good as they play, that said, I have seen several attractive ESPs but not one of them met my expectations as far as playability or sound/tone, I do like the higher end Les Pauls, and I've always wanted one, but not for the price. The lower end including Epiphone is pure crap. And I just hate Fenders...

As for Deans, to each his own. The guitars are ok, the bodys are attractive enough but you couldn't give me one simply because of that godawful ugly assed headstock.. SHEEESH!! What were they thinkin'? Like I said, to each his own..

I have seen a few Shecters that have intrigued me a bit, but I haven't really shoppied the brand much because, quite honestly, I'm happy with Charvel/Jacksons
          Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
            And let's be clear, there is no correlation between forum popularity and revenue. There are folks who post here and don't own Jacksons or Charvels.
            And there are plenty that own them and don't post here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
              I don't know about posts = popularity , but something I've been wondering about is ; at my local gc there's probalbly 30 fenders ,but only 3 maybe 4 jacksons ( I think the public is still buying J\C's )so is fender not trying to make the J\C brand grow ??
              Well, given this forums' TOP sponsor has severed his relationship with Jackson, that's absolutely true. I'm constantly running into music stores, hoping to find a bunch of new USA Jacksons. Zip. The closest place to me here in the northeast is more than an hour away that sells Jacksons. The rest are Fender, Gibson, Dean, PRS, etc.

I've been told by more than one dealer that Jackson's quality has gone so far downhill that they won't sell them anymore. It's really sad and driving people away from the brand, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DevRock View Post

I've been told by more than one dealer that Jackson's quality has gone so far downhill that they won't sell them anymore. It's really sad and driving people away from the brand, IMO.

I have no doubt dealers who dont stock them say that.... I think they are full of crap though I've played a lot of 2007-2008 Jacksons... I'm sure there are isolated instruments with issues, but the new ones have been exceptionaly good guitars.

I'd say dealers dont stock them for two reasons: (IMO of course)

1: They are expensive & sell in limited numbers compared to most other brands/models

2. The amount of money it takes to stock 6 USA Jacksons can be used to fill an entire wall with items that are more in line with what the average customer is looking to spend so they will see a return on their money quicker.

In short, most dealers can't afford to stock expensive items that don't move out the door quickly & just do not want to tie up ther money.
                http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Are there any excusivity restrictions in these company/dealer arrangements, such that ESP says you can be an LTD distributor so long as you don't sell Jacksons right next to them?
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by J_A / 540s View Post
                    I have no doubt dealers who dont stock them say that.... I think they are full of crap though I've played a lot of 2007-2008 Jacksons... I'm sure there are isolated instruments with issues, but the new ones have been exceptionaly good guitars.

I'd say dealers dont stock them for two reasons: (IMO of course)

1: They are expensive & sell in limited numbers compared to most other brands/models

2. The amount of money it takes to stock 6 USA Jacksons can be used to fill an entire wall with items that are more in line with what the average customer is looking to spend so they will see a return on their money quicker.

In short, most dealers can't afford to stock expensive items that don't move out the door quickly & just do not want to tie up ther money.

+1 - I have two 2007-2008 DK1's and the quality is absolutely fantastic.

Actually, +1 to your entire response as I agree with you completely.
                    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Ummm, maybe the people that are buying the most Jacksons are actually in working bands and don't have time to waste on an internet board.
                      Truth!!!! Like I said, the slogan should be....."Jackson: Tools for the working musician!"

As far as Dean goes.....Zelinsky himself recently said that he couldn't be associated with the quality coming from the company anymore.....That speaks

I may be mistaken, but I believe I heard that Dean changed the company that builds their USA guitars to lower the cost.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Most salespeople badmouth stuff they don't sell - or they at least say that the products they do sell are better.

As far as Jackson being more or less popular than Dean/whoever - that's tough. I would guess most people here at the JCF (myself included) don't really know what is popular with the average kid who plays guitar.

I will say that it's really hard to beat the value of a DK2 or DK2M. $600 for an MIJ guitar with decent woods, fretwork, pickups, and hardware. Try buying an MIJ Ibanez or ESP for that price - ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Anecdotal ... but here in Raleigh the Music Go Round store stocks a bunch of USA and import Jacksons and have been adding more.

Sadly no Charvels there though.

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                            Anecdotal ... but here in Raleigh the Music Go Round store stocks a bunch of USA and import Jacksons and have been adding more.

Sadly no Charvels there though.

Dave
                            Yep, I have to stop in there at least once a month and drool. Sadly, it's about the only thing that makes it worth going there though.
                            Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 07-25-2008, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                              Most salespeople badmouth stuff they don't sell - or they at least say that the products they do sell are better.

As far as Jackson being more or less popular than Dean/whoever - that's tough. I would guess most people here at the JCF (myself included) don't really know what is popular with the average kid who plays guitar.

I will say that it's really hard to beat the value of a DK2 or DK2M. $600 for an MIJ guitar with decent woods, fretwork, pickups, and hardware. Try buying an MIJ Ibanez or ESP for that price - ain't gonna happen.

I don't know where they are made, but you can get ESP LTDs all day long for about 450 and under. And from what I've seen, that's what is selling to the "kids".

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                                I don't know where they are made, but you can get ESP LTDs all day long for about 450 and under. And from what I've seen, that's what is selling to the "kids".
                                Korea, China, and 'Nam.

With that said, the quality of the LTD 400 and up series is on par with MIJ Jackson. Bear in mind that I have no loyalty to ESP/LTD (Jackson/Charvel has ALWAYS been my first love), but have owned a few of their guitars, and their poor rep around here is mostly undeserved. For what you pay for a DK2M, you'd get something from LTD with an OFR & EMG's, and fretwork that is at least as good.

Comment

Working...
                                X