Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson/Charvel pointy headstock who designed it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson/Charvel pointy headstock who designed it?

Was it Randy or Grover that came up with the headstock design for the Jackson pointy? It really is an amazing design and simple. ITs funny seeing all these new guitar companies trying to design a unique headstock and mostly all fail. The Jackson pointy is really a genius design.

I know Grover refined and actually made it but who gets credit for the pointy headstock "idea" or "concept" was it really Randy Rhoads?

As far as I know it was Rhoads, because he named the white one the Concorde. The headstock is reminiscent of the Concrode's nose (which adjusts to different angles). I'm sure if you look around the internet you'll eventually find the picture that Rhoads saw and said "that'd make a cool guitar".

It's possible that Grover re-designed the head to make it look like it does today, but I have a hunch it was based on Rhoads' original concept.

If you compare the head of the Concorde V to the later models, you can really see a distinct difference. The Concorde's "nose" seems a tad longer, and the headstock in general is slimmer from tuners to logo.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

On a related issue, I wonder if the headstock would have become so iconic if J/C hadn't been forced to stop using the Strat headstock? Despite the modern fetish for stratheads, the use of pointy HS on the entire line really "made" J/C as a brand, IMHO.

Comment

Actually. . .a member on Traces site (USACharvels.com) was the one who submitted the design.He's an ex Charvel employee and IIRC submitted the design in either late 81 or 82.
        I don't know all the ditty but my have been working with RR on the design and finalized it.
        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

It does kind of look like the Concorde's nose. I never made that connection before.
          Scott

Comment

The link can be found here :http://www.usacharvels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10614

However you must be a member to view it. Trace (aka:gtrbuyer) most likely chime in on this i'm sure. Unable to C&P it to this site?
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
              The link can be found here :http://www.usacharvels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10614

However you must be a member to view it. Trace (aka:gtrbuyer) most likely chime in on this i'm sure. Unable to C&P it to this site?
              You also have to post there or your membership gets deleted.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                You also have to post there or your membership gets deleted.
                Deleted? It says I've been banned.

Not trying to start any inter-forum garbage. I'm just saying. No ill-will, if that's his rule, then so be it.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah, when I signed up a year or so ago, he sent me an email saying welcome, and that I needed to be a posting member to keep my account open. I never did post, and my membership, I guess, was deleted, not banned.

Here was the rule...
                  1. members have to post regularly (at least a few posts ever couple of visit or so) to keep their accounts valid. I am very strict abut this rule, no exceptions.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yup, his forum, his rules. Not a big deal. Though that forum, when I was on it, and any others I may or may not be a member of, I really don't post. One reason had a lot to do with the reception that you received on one... Seeing the way you were treated, I'm sure I'd get strung up by my shorthairs.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

yeah the USACharvels.com board is based on a contributing membership which totally sucks for folks who like to lurk and not post. Plus many find it boring because most of the discussions are actually about guitars, guitar players and/or music.

I started the board after I was banned from CC (Charvel Central) and suspended from this board some 4 years ago and liked the idea of having it based on a contributing membership and keeping the discussion about guitars.

We J/C fans are lucky because there are multiple boards/forums out there all with different styles and rules....something for everyone.
                      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I was dropped for non-posting. At the time I had more to learn than contribute so I didn't post. (That's still true).

I didn't think that the occasional "nice guitar" post to keep myself current was kind of silly and not an efficient use of bandwidth. There was a lot of cool info there though.

Comment

I definitely don't want to turn this into a bashing thread. Each forum has their purpose and members that can help out with info. And ultimately that's what the forums are for... the exchange of info.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Hmmm. I wasn't bashing, just making a statement of personal forum format preference. Tracy's never done me any wrong, so there's no reason I'd bash him or his administrative style.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wasn't accusing anyone of it. I was just putting it out there. (not that my saying anything has any real effect) There's too much bashing going on already. I don't want to start any more and if I can prevent any, I'll do my part. (might have been better if I had just not said anything at all)
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X