Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaw Case for late 80s Model 3

Hello All-

Recently purchased a mint Charvel Model 3 for a buddy of mine and have since been on a quest to locate a grey, older logo, chainsaw case for it. Most of the cases that hit eBay are either trash or overpriced...so the search continues.

Which brings me to my question...there is a grey cahinsaw case on eBay right now where the seller claims he bought it for his Model 3 but it won't fit becasue he claims the case is for a "dinky-style" Charvel? Are there different sizes of chainsaw cases? I thought all Charvel bodies had the same basic size and shape?

Thanks!

I'm not real sure, I thought that they were all the same, but they were form fitting. So you'd think that a Charvel or a Jackson would fit.

Maybe he had a reverse headstock? I say buy it, cause you can make it fit. Under the material, it was only styrofoam, so modding it would be simple and easy. And if done with patience, it would be undetectable.

+ You're gonna have a hard time finding a nice one, cause the latches didn't hold up well.

Hit that buy it now button!!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Not so fast! A "Dinky" is the downscaled Strat shape that is used on the Jackson Soloists and Dinkies. There were several Charvels with the Dinky body, but the M3 was a full size Strat.

Modding a Dinky case to fit a full size Strat would not be easy. It would have to be entirely rebuilt/remolded, and I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be worth the time or the effort.
      Last edited by Sunbane; 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I have 2 of those cases now (sorry I need both). The latch design was neat but ultimately begged for breakage. Very, very easy to get the hook of the latch matched up, edge to edge, with the hook on the case. When you turn the key, since you've got such good leverage, it doesn't even feel like you're hitting any resistance, until the latch breaks itself right out of the plastic.

I've seen many repairs done with traditional latches. I have a busted latch on one of mine, may do the same at some point.

Vass

Comment

Thanks for info, guys...just found it interesting that he was selling it because it didn't fit his M3...so didn't wanna buy it for another M3.

And yes, seems the hinges and latches are either broken or going to be broken soon with those cases. Have also heard of people taking them to luggage repair places to get latches replaced...just wondering if all of this is worth it. Should maybe just buy a newer Jackson case or something that will fit the M3.

Thanks again!
          Last edited by MarkThomas; 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM.

Comment

P.S. Would the Charvel M3 be similiar to a Jackson Soloist in footprint? Meaning should I be looking for a molded Jackson case that fits a Soloist or some other model?

Comment

Soloist also has a Dinky body so no.

I'm thinking a standard stratocaster case might get you where you need to go.

Vass

Comment

Ok...anyone with a M3 (or similar) using a generic or other brand of form-molded case that works for a Charvel?

Comment

I picked up a couple of aluminum "flight" cases from Rondo Music.
                  For the price they are pretty good and sturdy.
                  Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                    Soloist also has a Dinky body so no.

Vass
                    I could be wrong but I think the soloist has a larger body than the dinky

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      Not so fast! A "Dinky" is the downscaled Strat shape that is used on the Jackson Soloists and Dinkies. There were several Charvels with the Dinky body, but the M3 was a full size Strat.

Modding a Dinky case to fit a full size Strat would not be easy. It would have to be entirely rebuilt/remolded, and I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be worth the time or the effort.
                      Yeah I guess you are right about that, I never thought of it that way. I generally don't play Strat styles, and I'm a lefty, so I'm not real educated on most things "S" style and right handed, but I am learning. Thanks that helped me out for future reference.
                      I learn something new on this site every time I log on here. I love this forum!!!
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven
                      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

The model 5&6 are the dinky bodies the model 3 is a full sized strat body.You can tell the difference just by looking at the inside of the case.Model 1-4 usualy will not fit a reg strat case because of the headstock angle of the Charvel.
                        Just for the record my 86 SD soloist fits perfectly in a model 6 chainsaw case.
                        Any time I'm at a guitar show and I see a C/J chainsaw case I buy it,never know when I'll need it.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                          Model 1-4 usualy will not fit a reg strat case because of the headstock angle of the Charvel.
                          Good point. I second the suggestion someone had to get a foam filled flightcase. That way you can cut the foam to match your guitar perfectly.

Comment

Thanks all...will look into a flight case or will continue the search for a nice, old Charvel chainsaw case.

Comment

I think there was a working one on GBase today, but it was $100 or so dollars. Not worth it imo when you could get something just as nice new for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X