Who's left handed on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
    .....I'm the only true lefty in my family. The only thing I do right handed is cut with scissors, sharpen a pencil, and grab gears in my Mustang.
    I too am the only lefty in my immediate family.
    Grabbing gears in your Mustang? Unless it's an import from the UK or Japan, you really don't have a choice. It would be awfully awkward, not to mention grossly inefficient and dangerous to bang gears with ones left on a left hand drive car!

..... My father(49) is a natural lefty, who was made right handed by his parents. I guess back when he was growing up that was common to do?
    I'm a couple of years older than your dad and yes. That kinda' crap happened back then.

I was an oddity among my parents peers. Their peers pointed it out to my parents and maybe even thought me the devil. However, I'm sure my parents didn't bite as I was never forced to do things right handed. They just let us kids develop as we pleased.

When I was growing up, I took notice of left handers. Still do to this day, but now there are so many lefties in the generations below me that I don't point it out as much anymore. It's become socially acceptable.

....P.S. We need more pictures!!
    Yes! We do.
    Cheers.
    G.

Comment

Originally posted by GinSonic View Post
      I too am the only lefty in my immediate family.
      Grabbing gears in your Mustang? Unless it's an import from the UK or Japan, you really don't have a choice. It would be awfully awkward, not to mention grossly inefficient and dangerous to bang gears with ones left on a left hand drive car!

I'm a couple of years older than your dad and yes. That kinda' crap happened back then.

I was an oddity among my parents peers. Their peers pointed it out to my parents and maybe even thought me the devil. However, I'm sure my parents didn't bite as I was never forced to do things right handed. They just let us kids develop as we pleased.

When I was growing up, I took notice of left handers. Still do to this day, but now there are so many lefties in the generations below me that I don't point it out as much anymore. It's become socially acceptable.

Yes! We do.
      Cheers.
      G.
      I guess the grabbing of the gears part was self explanatory. (DUH)

My father also said that it was kind of taboo to be a lefty, that's cool that you back that up also.

I also take notice when someone is writing if they are left handed or not. I don't know why but I always did do that. When I was growing up there weren't many lefties in my school, but now as you stated there seems to be more and more younger kids that are left handed. Hopefully it starts a revolution amongst guitar and bass companies to put more options in their production line.

I always hated the Jimi Hendrix comparison. I would say, sorry, i can't play that, cause I'm left handed, and they would say "Oh, a lefty, like Hendrix?"
      I would say, "no, a lefty like Tony Iommi."

I would love to see some more pictures posted. Especially that Charvel 475 Deluxe in Metallic Black.

Once more ppl. see this hopefully there will be more pics. I gotta say that there are way more than I thought. And also, more lefty/ right handed playing people than I thought.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I'm left handed but play righty as well.
        I started on Cello in 2nd grade and I started with the bow in my right hand and my left hand on the neck.
        I just went with it as it felt natural to me.
        I had to do a lot of work on my picking hand as I progressed though.
        Last edited by kmanick; 08-19-2008, 09:15 PM.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by whackmaster View Post
          Lefty playing righty here too. Anyone else have a problem with finger picking or is it just my craptacular skills coming thru again?
          I am right there with you on sucking at the finger picking thing. Arpeggios aren't that great sometimes either
          RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
          CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
          Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
          Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

how about if I mess with EVERYONE on this topic...

I am left handed, BUT I play all my righthanded guitars and basses upsidedown...

a few reasons:

#1 it is as normal to me to play inverted as it is to you all that play normally.
            #2 when I go sell anything I own, theres a hell of a lot more rightys out there to buy them from me....
            #3 playing this way has opened up conversations from people CONSTANTLY asking me "how can you play like that" -- I tell em all the same thing --- WHO TOLD YOU the strings are "CORRECT" the way you play anyway?
            #4 I started out this way, and never changed, despite the criticism.

leftys are abundant now a days, thanks to instruments made that way, but the ratio of lefty normal/righty normal to lefty inverted is 1-5000, not 1-10

uniqueness sometimes counts for some things in life.

was it harder to learn this way? -- NOPE
            can I play anything a righty can? -- YEP
            can I slap/pop like a righty? -- NOPE ( it looks weird but still gets the job done for those songs that require it )
            can I play normal lefty? - YES I have a Hamer lefty bass and jam on it, but only for fun. when we have a show and I want to show-off both ways on a solo break sometimes I'll break it out if I'm in the mood.

I played in an ALL lefty band once in my life, but I still had the strings inverted, and they didn't.

p.s. as far as the "lefty devil" junk, I'm cursed from birth -- my birthday is Jun 16th 1966 -- 061666 --oh ya 3 6's DEVIL DEVIL DEVIL
            http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

I'm a lefty who plays righty
              "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

I'm somewhat lefty, but not on guitar. I write left-handed, swing things (baseball bat, hockey stick, golf club) left-handed, but throw, eat, use scissors right-handed.

My wife was left-handed, but she grew up on an Army base so that was quickly remedied.
                Scott

Comment

I find that most of my dexterity is in my lefty hand, which for a right handed person is correct. Since I play lefty, my right hand which is my fretting hand has about a half of the dexterity of my other hand, so my guitar playing has always suffered....partly because I didn't practice 10 hrs a day...

As I get older, it becomes harder and harder for me to keep up with the speed.

joe...
                  www.godwentpunk.com
                  www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Lefty playing righty... Probably more of a righty that writes lefty, actually..
                    Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

I write left handed but I play right handed...

Comment

I understand that you guys can find some lefty guitars, but where do you get the lefty amps from?
                        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                          I understand that you guys can find some lefty guitars, but where do you get the lefty amps from?
                          I got my amp from a US supplier who mainly deals with left handed strings and guitar picks. He was having a Fall Closeout sale a few years ago, and that's when I saw this left handed Marshall 9200. I couldn't pass it up.
                          Not real sure where the other lefties on here got their stuff?
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven
                          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I'm left handed for a few things but I write right-handed. I'm also apparently left-footed which is kinda strange(which may explain why I'm horrible at bowling because I always use my right foot, then proceed to mess up). I always start on the left foot and I use my left foot for the main bass drum pedal when I play drums (which is basically never).
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I got my amp from a US supplier who mainly deals with left handed strings and guitar picks. He was having a Fall Closeout sale a few years ago, and that's when I saw this left handed Marshall 9200. I couldn't pass it up.
                              Not real sure where the other lefties on here got their stuff?
                              I just play through a regular righty amp .

As for my guitars, I have this amazing hole-in-the-wall guitar shop that has the balls to stock insane high end stuff. One time they ordered a lefty RR1 by mistake (meant to get righty), I went in there......and the rest is history.

Of course, now they dont make any of the other USAs in left but the soloist and rhoads, and since i already have them both.....i'm thinking of looking at.....Gibson?

Comment

be proud to be lefty. they say lefties are more likely to be geniuses then righties. Also righties use the left side of their brain and we lefties use the right side so we are in our right minds lol. Actually lefties actually use both sides of the brain. If i ever became bill gates rich, i would buy ever major guitar/bass company and floyd rose/kahler. then the discrimination and price gouging we feel would be placed on the righties for at least 3 years to give them a taste of we went thru. example limit options,hardware such as tremolos ala floyd rose, limit the models available to righties and then add the 40 to 80 percent upcharge for righty model. Then see if the righties like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X