No announcement yet.

How come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inlay and logo materials do not affect playability or tone. They are purely cosmetic. I'm all for a less-expensive material that can #1: do the same thing as the more-expensive material and #2: reduce the selling price of the instrument without sacrificing the more important wood, frets, paint, and finalization (and to some extent, the electronics, though I have the ability to change those myself).

Expensive does not always equal better. Maple is tonally similar (almost identical) to ebony. Paying more for ebony for the simple reason to have ebony is like buying Evian water just because it comes out of a sink faucet in someone's kitchen in France.

As for a USA SL-1 for $1350 - you do have to shop around to find a dealer who is not asking the full MSRP/List price (such as MF). Of course that is directly comparing identical models. The NASL in question was solid black, not Trans Black. I've previously seen SL-1s in Black (not Trans or Graphics) priced new for around $1200-$1400.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Inlay and logo materials do not affect playability or tone. They are purely cosmetic. I'm all for a less-expensive material that can #1: do the same thing as the more-expensive material and #2: reduce the selling price of the instrument without sacrificing the more important wood, frets, paint, and finalization (and to some extent, the electronics, though I have the ability to change those myself).
      GREAT responce there Newc! Thats exactly how I feel between an RR1 and a RR5-FR. (now with the Floyds) Inlay/logo materials and binding ARE purely cosmetic and IMO are not worth a grand more..............
      "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

For the record I did not say that one guitar was better than the other, I was talking about cosmetics, and today's imports do not have the cosmetics of the USA models (perhaps accept for the mortin in this case).

Never did I say that they don't play well. THe question was about high end Jackson Imports, and I still say that there are no high end Jackson imports. TN01's and J1's are not imported.

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Expensive does not always equal better. Maple is tonally similar (almost identical) to ebony. Paying more for ebony for the simple reason to have ebony is like buying Evian water just because it comes out of a sink faucet in someone's kitchen in France.

As for a USA SL-1 for $1350 - you do have to shop around to find a dealer who is not asking the full MSRP/List price (such as MF). Of course that is directly comparing identical models. The NASL in question was solid black, not Trans Black. I've previously seen SL-1s in Black (not Trans or Graphics) priced new for around $1200-$1400.

Comment

imports don't have ebony boards the inlays are crap compared to the usa models imports don't have a inlay jackson logo in MOP like alot of usa jacksons do imports don't have the real deal floyd Rose, no seymour duncans no neck thru except the sl3 or similar, cheaper tuners, cheap blade switch no toggle like the sl2h. The USA is better in every aspect of quality

Comment

Working...
          X